ADVERTISEMENT

Why wasn't it Johns?

Or the opposite. Maybe Kirk felt that Johns was looking to move upward or onward sooner than Kirk was comfortable with. Either way, that would be between the two of them.
Were any of his previous stops better than Iowa?

Were any of his previous stops better than Iowa?
Definitely no, but the clock is ticking on a 48 year old that wants to be a head coach. I could see Kirk not want to go through this process again in a year if he senses that Johns might bail for greener grass.

you guys do really know that KF really does not want the program to succeed
rolling my eyes
We don’t doubt Kirk wants to win. He wants to win his way.

If they get 7-8 wins, that’s good enough.

When they lose it’s only because they didn’t execute his way.

maybe the fan base is pissed because the offense was historically shitty. It wasn't just bad. It was national punch line bad. It was so bad most people wouldn't even believe a P5 school could be that bad bad. An embarrassment.

The head guy was so obtuse about it that an interim AD had to step in.

Then when he finally had a chance do something about it...he hires a MAC cast off with an average resume. A guy with Troy as leverage.

How is it hard to understand why fans are pissed?

Maybe from a select few who wouldn't be happy regardless, but I'd say the idea of Johns as the new OC went over better on this board than anyone else mentioned with the possible exception of Chryst. This board would feel a heck of a lot different right now if Grandpa Kirk had sealed the deal with Johns. Instead, this is the f*ckup everyone saw coming....
I didn't see it coming. I thought people were actually joking about Lester becoming OC.

dang ..we sure have a lot of people on here that know more than our coaching staff ... but what is new ?
always lots of couch potatoes and after the factors on message boards
I'm not sure if he'll be the best hire as OC. He does seem like a step up as a QB coach. Hopefully, that will show up in the freshman QB recruits in the future. I try to be positive and hope that there'll be play calling improvements too!!

Why are people assuming Kirk offered the job to Johns? I've interviewed numerous people to whom I never offered the job. The only thing close to reliable information regarding candidates who declined an offer concerns Paul Chryst. There's a good chance that only two offers were made: one to Chryst and one to Lester.

i’ve made a 180 turn. the more i learn about this lester fella the more it appears that kf might well have made the right choice. hope phil and levar maintain their units coz offense hopefully won’t be a weak link this fall.

maybe the fan base is pissed because the offense was historically shitty. It wasn't just bad. It was national punch line bad. It was so bad most people wouldn't even believe a P5 school could be that bad bad. An embarrassment.

The head guy was so obtuse about it that an interim AD had to step in.

Then when he finally had a chance do something about it...he hires a MAC cast off with an average resume. A guy with Troy as leverage.

How is it hard to understand why fans are pissed?
This should just be the standard answer to why Iowa fans are mad about the hire. Absolutely nailed it. Nice work.

Definitely no, but the clock is ticking on a 48 year old that wants to be a head coach. I could see Kirk not want to go through this process again in a year if he senses that Johns might bail for greener grass.
What makes you think Johns would bail? He was at IU for 6 seasons. I think this idea has been floated out as a little red herring to get people to take their eyes off what's truly happening.

Lester was obviously the best candidate for the job. I am willing to give him a shot. Next year Lester of whoever Kirk chooses has to have a top 80 offense. Scoring or yards.

Shouldn't be that hard since Brian and Kirk recruited everyone on this offense and barely anyone left the team.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
What makes you think Johns would bail? He was at IU for 6 seasons. I think this idea has been floated out as a little red herring to get people to take their eyes off what's truly happening.
Because he might want to be a head coach. He's been an assistant for a while and not getting younger.

i’ve made a 180 turn. the more i learn about this lester fella the more it appears that kf might well have made the right choice. hope phil and levar maintain their units coz offense hopefully won’t be a weak link this fall.
What changed your perspective?

Lester was obviously the best candidate for the job. I am willing to give him a shot. Next year Lester of whoever Kirk chooses has to have a top 80 offense. Scoring or yards.

Shouldn't be that hard since Brian and Kirk recruited everyone on this offense and barely anyone left the team.
That they recruited them might be the problem.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
I posted this in another thread but having experience running a business, the biggest red flag for me was Johns worked under two HC that moved onto better jobs and neither took him along. That tells me he might not get along well with others. No matter how good someone is, they aren’t worth ruining relationships with the rest of the coaching staff. It’s not like this is as only KF’s choice to make.
I would not read anymore into that, then into why he is not here at Iowa. Maybe when they moved on, he didn't go, because he wanted to bring his old staff with him, or didn't, and when moving up career wise, the HC did not like that idea. Could be the same reason why he is not here. Maybe KF said "you pretty much get to pick your wr coach, but we have the other position coaching jobs filled". Probably why KF said that it was about how the person fit with the other coaches (and players). Because we do have a solid TE room and rb room and no one of wanted those guys gone. KF is set on Barnett. As fans, we may not like it, but the players respect him and I guess he is a pretty good coach, even if somehow that is not making it to the field. So really a new OC has no say over RB, TE or OL coach. Plus who knows they might have even said and we are keeping this guy around to help with qb's. Now idk, but I might be a little concerned with this. I mean what if you as an OC have no control really over who most of your staff is? Hard to pass or run the ball if your OL sucks. But you can't bring in your own coach for the OL. Fact all you will ever be able to do is bring it up to KF at the end of the season when things are being evaluated. He might listen, he might not. So now with your name on the offense and what you are putting on the field on your resume, you have no real control over who coaches under you. A smart man would see that the TE and RB room is solid, but the rest of that side of the ball has not looked good for several years now. So what do you do as a potential OC hire???

What changed your perspective?

at wmu he produced extremely high powered offenses 5 years in a row. the numbers are insanely good and the work is recent. certainly the sixth year offense was bf-esque and he got canned -- but even the best coaches produce a shitty year occasionally, by no means indicates incompetence.
at syracuse he got fired along with the hc after a poor w-l record but lester had actually improved the offense from 122 to 77 (45 spots) that year. this improvement is precisely what we are looking to accomplish at iowa.

Reactions: AlvySinger
I respect and like Kirk. But he fumbled this one away. He had a very good and qualified candidate in Johns and lost him. I assume his inability to let him do his own thing is what lost him
Could be right, but maybe Beth set a wage allowance on the position and was not to his liking and he turned the position down.

at wmu he produced extremely high powered offenses 5 years in a row. the numbers are insanely good and the work is recent. certainly the sixth year offense was bf-esque and he got canned -- but even the best coaches produce a shitty year occasionally, by no means indicates incompetence.
at syracuse he got fired along with the hc after a poor w-l record but lester had actually improved the offense from 122 to 77 (45 spots) that year. this improvement is precisely what we are looking to accomplish at iowa.
I appreciate your perspective. I went back and looked at the stats from 2017-2022 and you are correct 2022 was not a good year but the other 5 were. My opinion is that Johns looked better choice as the OC/WR and was hoping that Lester would be hired as the QB coach. I see that Lester has been added as a coach and it lists OC but not QB or WR added. It is my hope the Budmary is not the WR guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT