ADVERTISEMENT

Why would a recruit go to the schools listed?

biggreydogs

HR Legend
Oct 2, 2001
Longest active drought without a 1st round NFL Draft pick:

50 years - Iowa State (great water?)
29 - Indiana
15 - Arizona
15 - Kansas
15 - Vanderbilt
14 - Kansas State
14 - UVA
13 - Georgia Tech
13 - Rutgers

Because that is one of the few places they have an offer?
Because they are from those areas and want to play close to home?
Because their end goal is not the NFL?
Because they have a better chance to contribute quickly?
Because they have a really good med school/business school/other specific major that they have an interest in?
Because at least a few of those are considered really good academic schools?

Arizona and UVA are really surprising. UVA used to get really good classes under Al Groh, and the DMV is pretty loaded with talent.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Because that is one of the few places they have an offer?
Because they are from those areas and want to play close to home?
Because their end goal is not the NFL?
Because they have a better chance to contribute quickly?
Because they have a really good med school/business school/other specific major that they have an interest in?
Because at least a few of those are considered really good academic schools?

those are all really great reasons…! And there are many more but it’s not really a very good question!

obviously it was meant to trash Iowa State above anybody else but honestly there are a lot of reasons to go to a school that’s close to home in particular!

those are all really great reasons…! And there are many more but it’s not really a very good question!

obviously it was meant to trash Iowa State above anybody else but honestly there are a lot of reasons to go to a school that’s close to home in particular!

Yeah, I was just messing with the OP. Enjoy the day cmhawks99

Reactions: cmhawks99
Kansas State is kind of surprising when you consider how competitive they've been over the years. That does kind of speak, though, to how under the radar their decline from the heyday of the Bill Snyder era has been.

Reactions: WSC72 and cmhawks99
Kansas State is kind of surprising when you consider how competitive they've been over the years. That does kind of speak, though, to how under the radar their decline from the heyday of the Bill Snyder era has been.

On a sidenote as it pertains to Iowa State and I’m really not one to pile on them. I don’t mind them that much all things considered, especially if I don’t have to interact with their fans…..

But last preseason, when I would pop on the board to read a little bit, wasn’t posting at the time and don’t normally in the summer throughout the season… But the whole 21 out of 22 positions they had a better team holy shit man!!

Iowa is an NFL talent machine, especially on defense. At any given point in time we have kids three deep that will eventually be in the NFL!

And for the guy that’s ready to swoop in and say yeah but we want more wins… I’d say generally speaking we’re winning at our commiserate talent level. We are typically a top 15 producer of NFL talent and over the last 6/7 years were winning at a top 15 clip we just need to shore up a few areas!

29 - Indiana
15 - Arizona
15 - Kansas
15 - Vanderbilt
14 - Kansas State
14 - UVA
13 - Georgia Tech
13 - Rutgers
Very few college players expect to be an NFL 1st round pick, and even fewer actually are.

Like the old B1G commercial goes - "Most of us go professional in something other than sports." Every school on that list other than Kansas St is a terrific academic institution. Much rather get a free education at one of those schools and have a fulfilling college football career than sit the bench for 4 years at Oklahoma and have a worthless degree to show for it.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
If you are a 4 or 5 * OL or TE with solid work ethic why would you go anywhere but Iowa. Guaranteed to be drafted and high likelihood of being a first rounder.

On a sidenote as it pertains to Iowa State and I’m really not one to pile on them. I don’t mind them that much all things considered, especially if I don’t have to interact with their fans…..

But last preseason, when I would pop on the board to read a little bit, wasn’t posting at the time and don’t normally in the summer throughout the season… But the whole 21 out of 22 positions they had a better team holy shit man!!

Iowa is an NFL talent machine, especially on defense. At any given point in time we have kids three deep that will eventually be in the NFL!

And for the guy that’s ready to swoop in and say yeah but we want more wins… I’d say generally speaking we’re winning at our commiserate talent level. We are typically a top 15 producer of NFL talent and over the last 6/7 years were winning at a top 15 clip we just need to shore up a few areas!
See the problem is that we aren't shoring up those "few areas" even though the staff always says they're trying to..........

That's what irks the fanbase.

Very few college players expect to be an NFL 1st round pick, and even fewer actually are.

Like the old B1G commercial goes - "Most of us go professional in something other than sports." Every school on that list other than Kansas St is a terrific academic institution. Much rather get a free education at one of those schools and have a fulfilling college football career than sit the bench for 4 years at Oklahoma and have a worthless degree to show for it.
Those "big" 12 land grant schools aren't exactly Harvard of the great plains.

If I was a running back Id definitely consider the pillow fight tackling b12 over the sec or bten. Look what it did for Breece Hall

Reactions: shudaddy
If you are a 4 or 5 * OL or TE with solid work ethic why would you go anywhere but Iowa. Guaranteed to be drafted and high likelihood of being a first rounder.
Yeah, why would a 5 star go to Bama, Georgia, the school they grew up rooting for, or anywhere but Iowa? Delusional.

29 - Indiana
15 - Arizona
15 - Kansas
15 - Vanderbilt
14 - Kansas State
14 - UVA
13 - Georgia Tech
13 - Rutgers

You can't make this shit up if you tried.

This was from one year ago:

FRgwozOXwAAdHCt

You can become a multi-millionaire by becoming a great doctor, lawyer, architect, engineer, businessman etc. and create a career than can last for 40 to 50 years.

Academics really, really matter for a lot of these kids. Northwestern grads do incredibly well in the real world. So do Stanford grads. Iowa and Iowa State have strong academic programs in certain majors and of course have great graduate programs.

Very, very few players make it to the NFL. A tiny percentage. I think more kids than you think pay attention to the academics.

Reactions: littlez
You can become a multi-millionaire by becoming a great doctor, lawyer, architect, engineer, businessman etc. and create a career than can last for 40 to 50 years.

Academics really, really matter for a lot of these kids. Northwestern grads do incredibly well in the real world. So do Stanford grads. Iowa and Iowa State have strong academic programs in certain majors and of course have great graduate programs.

Very, very few players make it to the NFL. A tiny percentage. I think more kids than you think pay attention to the academics.
One would hope so.

You could be a great prospect out of HS. Have all sorts of accolades going into your senior season and get drafted as "Mr. Irrelevant" AKA Purdy

If one of my kids would have been a high level D-1 athlete, the number of 1st round draft picks wouldn't at all factor into the equation.
Schools like Stanford and NW would be at the top of the list for their outstanding academic reputations and post grad opportunities that a degree from one of those places allows.

If one of my kids would have been a high level D-1 athlete, the number of 1st round draft picks wouldn't at all factor into the equation.
Schools like Stanford and NW would be at the top of the list for their outstanding academic reputations and post grad opportunities that a degree from one of those places allows.
This is the correct answer. And if you're an NFL player it doesn't matter where you go to school. Sorry @biggreydogs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT