ADVERTISEMENT

Will Campbell wait for the Iowa job to open?

B12 looks good IMO. The playoff expansion saved their ass.

only thing that will matter is making the playoff and the Big12 path is beating Baylor and Oklahoma St.

they’d a hell of a lot easier than Iowa’s path will be in a couple years.
Most years they are probably only getting 1 team in.

If tOSU, ND, or Michigan are his dream jobs... keep dreaming. All three will/would get considerably better applicants than lil Matty.

Just look at ISU's 2021 season and what happened with high expectations.

And although Iowa is not on the level of the three schools I mentioned... Iowa would get better applicants, as well.

Most years they are probably only getting 1 team in.
I like the chances of getting that 1 bid better than Iowa getting one of two or three bids with Wisky, Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, and USC asking for one also.

not to mention Michigan St. and UCLA possibly creeping up.

you toss in Oregon to the BTN. and Iowa is further from a playoff invite than they are today. The expanded playoff was the greatest news ever for Big 12 and ACC. Hell, if your goal is making the playoff I would be thrilled Oklahoma and Texas are leaving.

if your goal is to say “ my school makes a lot of money “ then Iowa Northwestern and Minnesota should be happy.

I like the chances of getting that 1 bid better than Iowa getting one of two or three bids with Wisky, Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, and USC asking for one also.

you toss in Oregon to the BTN. and Iowa is further from a playoff invite than they are today. The expanded playoff was the greatest news ever for Big 12 and ACC. Hell, if your goal is making the playoff I would be thrilled Oklahoma and Texas are leaving.

if your goal is to say “ my school makes a lot of money “ then Iowa Northwestern and Minnesota should be happy.
BYU will run roughshod over the new Big12. Maybe OSU stays in the hunt.

That's it as far as potential teams in the CFP. That conference can potentially get two schools in.

we have been in the top 12 off and on. It's doable. They will toss the conference title games.

we have been in the top 12 off and on. It's doable. They will toss the conference title games.
Not sure about that.

it’s about money and not the playoff. Just so happens the expansion of the SEC and Big Ten along with a 12 team format gives a magic back door for what is left of the Big 12 ACC.

First, I don't think Campbell likes Iowa very much, if at all (although he and Kirk seemed to share a cordial enough handshake after Saturday's game).

Second good money at ISU and is likely due to receive some nice raises as he has some nice seasons and other schools come courting.

Third, he likes ISU and living in Ames with his wife and children. If they are happy he will feel good about that.

Fourth, the near future membership of the Big 12 puts his program in a position to win plenty of games.

Fifth, while the Big Ten and SEC TV deals will allow their schools to pay coaches more, people have been known to turn down higher paying jobs, especially if there is a lack of talent and the possibility of a fast hook involved. If Purdue offered him more money, why the hell would he go there?

Sixth, as mentioned above he probably has a short list of schools he would leave ISU for. Obviously, to date none of them have offered Campbell or his agent a job.
Campbell doesn't have an agent.

Let's be serious. There's no reason Nebraska shouldn't be a annual contender in the B1G West. Campbell would be an idiot to turn down that job, especially considering how conference re-alignment is going to affect the Big 12. He's proven he's at least a competent coach, although his reputation was tarnished a bit by last year's performance, and Nebraska will give him more assets to work with than Moo U ever could.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistachio1999
Not sure about that.

it’s about money and not the playoff. Just so happens the expansion of the SEC and Big Ten along with a 12 team format gives a magic back door for what is left of the Big 12 ACC.
They won't keep an extra game in there if it is expanded to 12. Will already have too many games

Hmm. Well, I wouldn't be unhappy to have him. He's done well building a proper football culture over there. However,

1) I don't see anything about the Iowa job that would appeal outside of simply being in one of the two king conferences, but he has like 20 other options now.

2) I don't think Barta is smart enough to consider him.

3) He has it pretty much made in Ames. He could well do a Kirk and just put down stakes for life.

4) He'll probably retire before the Iowa job is open anyway. Moot point.

Campbell leaves ISU FOR ONLY ONE OF THESE THREE ND, tOSU, OR MICH.
That gets repeated on the Internet, but I'm pretty sure one of those is not on Campbell's list unless something changes in their leadership. Not sure about the other two and I doubt anyone else is. Campbell has no agent and keeps things to himself. I think the only way to gauge his interest is if he takes the job or it leaks that he declined.

Reactions: mrcyfan
Iowa State just becomes more of a stepping stone. The proven coaches will work themselves into Big Ten and SEC jobs and the up and comers not so well known will need to go through the ranks on the way up and Iowa State will be a mid job on the way to the top level.
Honestly I don’t see him leaving. Could very easily follow the Kirk plan. Kirk’s made over $100M and is basically bullet proof. All the while not winning the conference in nearly 20 years. And that’s at Iowa, the expectations are even lower at ISU. Only question is whether he wants to win a natty.

Honestly I don’t see him leaving. Could very easily follow the Kirk plan. Kirk’s made over $100M and is basically bullet proof. All the while not winning the conference in nearly 20 years. And that’s at Iowa, the expectations are even lower at ISU. Only question is whether he wants to win a natty.
His goal isn’t even to win the Big 12, much less a national title.

Let's be serious. There's no reason Nebraska shouldn't be a annual contender in the B1G West. Campbell would be an idiot to turn down that job, especially considering how conference re-alignment is going to affect the Big 12. He's proven he's at least a competent coach, although his reputation was tarnished a bit by last year's performance, and Nebraska will give him more assets to work with than Moo U ever could.
The divisions are going away in two years. About a 98% confidence factor with that.

His goal isn’t even to win the Big 12, much less a national title.
If he stays there long enough I almost guarantee he will. There’s no blue blood in the slightest in his way. They like to bash the B10 West, I get it, it’s been down the last two years. But historically speaking the only team left in the B12 in the last 20years that can claim anywhere near the success as Wisconsin or Iowa is Oklahoma State. That’s not to mention you’re assured of playing a beast in the B10 championship.

If he stays there long enough I almost guarantee he will. There’s no blue blood in the slightest in his way. They like to bash the B10 West, I get it, it’s been down the last two years. But historically speaking the only team left in the B12 in the last 20years that can claim anywhere near the success as Wisconsin or Iowa is Oklahoma State. That’s not mention you’re assured of playing a beast in the B10 championship.
I always laughed at ISU fans that bashed the Big 10 West……while ISU was losing to a Big 10 West team 6 times in a row.

2sggrnwgsg281.jpg
1045225134.jpg.jpg

Truth be told: don’t care much for this mug either.
Poor guy got his build and looks from mom but has lived a very blessed life otherwise. I could live with man boobs and a protruding gut in exchange for a 900k job I was atrocious at but couldn't be fired from. And that inheritance....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT