ADVERTISEMENT

Will Luka come back?

Unfortunately I think the odds of a normal season will only look worse in the next 2-3 weeks, for the first time I'm concerned we've seen the last of him in Carver.

Does Luka have dual citizenship? If so I would bet he is gone because he can go play overseas where Europe has done well controlling spread. If not, I am guessing he takes a chance college basketball happens.

I am leaning toward him leaving which really sucks because we will be extremely thin at the #5. Nunge is unproven and behind him will be a freshman that likely could have redshirt.

Does Luka have dual citizenship? If so I would bet he is gone because he can go play overseas where Europe has done well controlling spread. If not, I am guessing he takes a chance college basketball happens.

What would make you think he might have dual citizenship? I believe he is Bosnian descent but pretty sure Frank also grew up in the states.

What would make you think he might have dual citizenship? I believe he is Bosnian descent but pretty sure Frank also grew up in the states.

I read this somewhere on another board, hope I'm remembering it right. I believe European teams have restrictions on the number of American players they can have. I believe the limit is two. If Luka has dual citizenship, he won't count against the limit.

With all of the unknown, I would not be surprised to see Luka bypass this final college season with the intent of pursuing professional play (even if overseas; despite saying he wanted to feel promise of an NBA roster spot). My main reason being is who knows when/if college basketball is played. And Luka will then just be a another year older ... I'd love to see him come back but I can see him making the decision to place college behind him and begin his next life chapter. Tough spot for him for sure ...

Reactions: And1Hawk
Is there a timeline that he has to make to go overseas? Like could he play it out until December and then go?

Back on topic :)rolleyes:), I think Luka WILL be back because he wants to play in the NBA and that isn't going to happen this year, Covid-19 or no Covid-19. He will come back and finish his degree then do what he needs to after that to get into the league. In the mean time, he's not going to risk his life when he could be relatively safe and adored at Iowa.

Well, if they’re still considering a football season at this point, you’d have to say that bodes well for a basketball season.

probably said before but with he and his dad in talks with so many teams i book it at 90 percent leaving to go pro.. imho

I think it is more likely that an NBA season happens than college basketball. I never thought I would get to this point but Luka is gone, IMO.

he is already turned down a lucrative European contract and said it'll be either the NBA or Iowa.
Do you have a link? I thought I had been following this reasonably closely but I missed that. Also, last I heard none of the mock drafts had him being selected by an NBA team. Has that changed at all?

It is not ‘regular’ season resumption. Not all teams are playing in the bubble. Some teams season ended when the NBA suspended play back in March. Couple teams season ‘ended’ before that.

It is not ‘regular’ season resumption. Not all teams are playing in the bubble. Some teams season ended when the NBA suspended play back in March. Couple teams season ‘ended’ before that.
My point is they are not going to play all of these games now and just decide not to have a ‘21 season.

Reactions: r448chlpo
Interesting news... Apparently the NBA wants these combine invitees to complete a questionnaire by July 31 and promises to provide more info on a date/time when that info is available. You'd think the NCAA would have to extend the Aug. 3 deadline in that case, right?

Do you have a link? I thought I had been following this reasonably closely but I missed that. Also, last I heard none of the mock drafts had him being selected by an NBA team. Has that changed at all?

When he declared for the draft in early April, Garza said he would not leave Iowa without a guaranteed NBA roster spot. To this point, he’s been true to his word. Frank Garza confirmed that his son has turned down a “significant” contract offer to play immediately in Europe.

So, it's the NBA or Iowa for Luka.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...case-iowa-fran-mccaffery-tempting/5311071002/

The article is 2 months old; I just have a horrible feeling that the won't be an NCAA season this year. Hope I'm wrong....

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
If he is guaranteed a spot on a roster, he would achieve his life's dream, but the life may not be as satisfying as it would be remaining in college for his final year, playing with his friends. There may not be people in the stands in either scenario. The NBA (I assume) will be there for him next year, but he can never replay his senior year in college. Tough decision for Luka.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
There are about 300 active NBA players. The kid has been working on his game non-stop for the past several years. He's getting noticed by the NBA now and as much as I would want him to return to Iowa, I don't see why he would or should. He can finish a degree anytime he wants...if he wants. If the NBA doesn't work out, Europe will pay him. As much as I would want to 'play with my friends", if i had a chance to make a NBA team and make the league minimum of $860k I would seize the opportunity the moment it presents itself. Which is now.

There are about 300 active NBA players.

You are undershooting a bit. there are 30 NBA teams (8 are not in Orlando) and each can have 15 players plus 2 2-way G league contracts. Thus15 x 30 is 450 active players.

I don't really follow the NBA so I may have this all wrong, but aren't they just trying to finish last season and get the playoffs in? Then there is the normal NBA draft, which I believe is in late June, with the season beginning in October. Why can't Luka finish his senior year in college, go through the June draft and play next October? I know the pandemic has thrown this year into a tizzy, but aren't we all hoping 2021 will be a return to something similar to normal? What am I missing?

Anxious to get to the morning after. On August 3, we can see who is on the basketball roster and watch Coach McCaffery build the best team he can with the available talent.

And Jay Bilas can keep telling me he’s the smartest guy on the planet.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
I don't really follow the NBA so I may have this all wrong, but aren't they just trying to finish last season and get the playoffs in? Then there is the normal NBA draft, which I believe is in late June, with the season beginning in October. Why can't Luka finish his senior year in college, go through the June draft and play next October? I know the pandemic has thrown this year into a tizzy, but aren't we all hoping 2021 will be a return to something similar to normal? What am I missing?
Right, trying to finish last season. Then they’ll have a draft which Luka could be a part of and start playing this fall/winter. Then I’d assume they’d go back to regular scheduled draft next year.

Right, trying to finish last season. Then they’ll have a draft which Luka could be a part of and start playing this fall/winter. Then I’d assume they’d go back to regular scheduled draft next year.

They surely can't all continue in the Disney bubble, can they? So when they start the new season in October, I assume they believe things will be safe enough to have teams work out in their own practice arenas and play games home and away in the normal fashion. Isn't this being a bit optimistic?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT