ADVERTISEMENT

Will someone please unravel for me this mystery

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
Home alone today so I decided to chop up a lettuce salad with spinach, onions, green peppers, cuckes, tomatoes, etc. I'm old fashioned so I buy head lettuce as I don't care much for the bagged stuff. Anyway, I've struggled now for 72 years with the tiny knot that ties the plastic wrapping the head. Once every other decade or so I can unravel that knot, but mostly I just give up and use a knife to cut it open. Why do they wrap it that way, and what is the trick to unsnarling the damn thing?

I’m with you on this. It’s the worst. I think they have to make it really tight so the barcode stays fully visible is the only thing I’ve ever come up with.

Reactions: goldmom and Moral
Home alone today so I decided to chop up a lettuce salad with spinach, onions, green peppers, cuckes, tomatoes, etc. I'm old fashioned so I buy head lettuce as I don't care much for the bagged stuff. Anyway, I've struggled now for 72 years with the tiny knot that ties the plastic wrapping the head. Once every other decade or so I can unravel that knot, but mostly I just give up and use a knife to cut it open. Why do they wrap it that way, and what is the trick to unsnarling the damn thing?

I think you should load it with napalm and send it back to producer

Like others, I just cut it off carefully then tape it back on for next time.

FDJGSV8IKU0DQIR.jpg

Get one of these and you avoid having to use a Ziploc (extra plastic waste) for each head of lettuce.
61ZzyD92ecS.jpg

That's pretty much what we do, except it just an old Tupperware. I always line the bottom with a few squares of paper towel to absorb the water after rinsing it off.

***I also find it satisfying with a new head of lettuce, when you smash the core against the sink and the core just comes out in a neat little cone

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
The problem is there is usually tape holding the knot in place. When trying to remove, normally rips the plastic

The problem is there is usually tape holding the knot in place. When trying to remove, normally rips the plastic

This.

It is possible to sort of get a finger between the twist and tape and pull up the tape where sometimes the tape comes off without tearing the plastic. Then untwist and remove.

The reason I try is even though the plastic isn't reused, it is a bit easier to keep the head of lettuce intact if you can open without tearing the plastic. Just sort of "inside it out". Tear the plastic, good chance you're going to take the outside leaves off with it.

Yeah, obsessive, I know. But I eat a lot of lettuce, so I get a lot of practice. Doesn't work all the time, but I'm batting above .500.

Home alone....and Mom left the knives out for you to get into???

Tsk....tsk....tsk. Dodged a bullet here...

Sounds like a good salad, except for the cuckes. ????? What dressing do you prefer?

Sorry, no real input to the subject. Good luck.

Not what I would do home alone,but to each his own.

To keep the air out so it lasts longer.
Doesn't take lettuce long to go bad if air gets to it. Even in the fridge.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT