ADVERTISEMENT

Will There EVER Be a GOP Health Care Plan?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
[In] an ABC News “town hall” hosted by George Stephanopoulos in the battleground state of Pennsylvania ... The president promised to protect the ability of people with pre-existing conditions to get healthcare coverage and accused Democrats of trying to kill that rule. Of course, the opposite is true: the Trump administration is trying to overturn the Affordable Care Act—Obamacare—that protects such people, while Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden promises to expand and strengthen the law.

When Stephanopoulos fact checked him, Trump insisted that he is going to protect people with pre-existing conditions through his own forthcoming new health care plan. Stephanopoulos pointed out that he has promised such a plan repeatedly since he took office, but none has ever appeared. Today White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said there was a plan in the works but told reporters that if they wanted to know what it was and who was working on it, they should come work at the White House.

This is something that bugs me about people who like to bash Biden's platform. At least it offers details, whether you disagree with them or not. Trump rarely offers specifics when he talks about anything and when he does, more often than not they are grossly out of context or the most optimistic outlook possible. See their tax bill a couple of years ago. It only paid for itself under the level of economic growth that we've rarely seen, and naturally, that didn't happen.

good grief I hope not- it is none of their business. my health insurance and my health care is my deal, not theirs.

Republicans don't seem to be for anything except tax cuts. Every other policy position seems to be simply being against proposals by Democrats. I think the GOP secretly loves campaigning against the ACA or Medicare for All more than they want to actually make a plan of their own.
we don't need a plan, we spent 60 years building a great country and great system with freedom and liberty and choices then obama brought it down.

Yep, we've been promised they will unveil one before election day!

I'm sure the WH/Trump expect to be ridiculed and criticized for unfulfilled 2016 campaign promises. The two biggest are obviously "repeal/replace" and "Mexico will pay for it".

By dropping hints that a healthcare plan is coming soon, the WH is hoping to eliminate one Biden attack, talking point. I'm reasonably sure that sensible voters will see through this stunt. Trump blamed John McCain for the failure on a replacement plan. But I'm guessing he doesn't want to mention McCain again because Martha McSally is already trailing badly in Arizona Senate polls and that wouldn't help her.

we don't need a plan, we spent 60 years building a great country and great system with freedom and liberty and choices then obama brought it down.

I remember when my father got sick before the ACA and lost his job as soon as his employer could terminate and our whole family lost health insurance thinking "freedom and liberty are marvelous healthcare options."

[In] an ABC News “town hall” hosted by George Stephanopoulos in the battleground state of Pennsylvania ... The president promised to protect the ability of people with pre-existing conditions to get healthcare coverage and accused Democrats of trying to kill that rule. Of course, the opposite is true: the Trump administration is trying to overturn the Affordable Care Act—Obamacare—that protects such people, while Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden promises to expand and strengthen the law.

When Stephanopoulos fact checked him, Trump insisted that he is going to protect people with pre-existing conditions through his own forthcoming new health care plan. Stephanopoulos pointed out that he has promised such a plan repeatedly since he took office, but none has ever appeared. Today White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said there was a plan in the works but told reporters that if they wanted to know what it was and who was working on it, they should come work at the White House.

GOP health plan has been out for years now:

I remember when my father got sick before the ACA and lost his job as soon as his employer could terminate and our whole family lost health insurance thinking "freedom and liberty are marvelous healthcare options."
You were talking about three different things, health insurance, job provided health insurance, and health care. Actually four different things if you include paying for it yourself. And the freedom to be able to pay for it yourself

Free beer tomorrow

This sums up the GOP health plan messaging:
FREE%20CANDY_0.png

The United States spends ~17-18% of our GDP on healthcare. Do you think that is acceptable and/or sustainable?

GOP = maintain the status quo even if it's dogshit

current-health-expenditures-as-percentage-share-of-gdp-oecd-2017.png

The numbers from before were the US spends something like $0.22-0.24 per healthcare dollar on administrative costs. Other western nations, including those with nationalized systems, spend $0.06-0.08 per dollar on middlemen and administration.

That's 3x-4x, and you can bet the middlemen and administrators raking in those hundreds of billions are going to fight tooth and nail to keep that gravy train going. Eliminate that and you can both lower overall healthcare spend AND deliver more care.

EDIT: FWIW, a "good" charity will spend $0.05-0.10 of every dollar on administrative costs. Ergo, the health systems in other nations operate like 4-star charities. The US, on the other hand, functions like a 1 or 2 star with the amount of administrative bloat.

If you want your charity dollar to go for what you donated it for, you donate to a 4-star option with low administrative overhead.

If you want to piss your charity dollars away, you give them to grifters who will spend more of it on themselves.

Our healthcare system is literally no different; ACA didn't fully address this. ACA 2.0 needs to.

Last edited:
The numbers from before were the US spends something like $0.22-0.24 per healthcare dollar on administrative costs. Other western nations, including those with nationalized systems, spend $0.06-0.08 per dollar on middlemen and administration.

That's 3x-4x, and you can bet the middlemen and administrators raking in those hundreds of billions are going to fight tooth and nail to keep that gravy train going. Eliminate that and you can both lower overall healthcare spend AND deliver more care.

Agreed. The #1 goal of ANY healthcare reform should be to lower costs and eliminate waste. Private insurance companies skimming billions off the top certainly doesn't make our system more efficient.

The United States spends ~17-18% of our GDP on healthcare. Do you think that is acceptable and/or sustainable?

GOP = maintain the status quo even if it's dogshit

current-health-expenditures-as-percentage-share-of-gdp-oecd-2017.png
Of course it's not sustainable which is why communism does not work

The country addressed this in 1986 with emtala laws
Ummm... not really. And funneling people to the most expensive care facilities is grossly inefficient and ineffective.

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) is a federal law that requires anyone coming to an emergency department to be stabilized and treated, regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay, but since its enactment in 1986 has remained an unfunded mandate.

The country addressed this in 1986 with emtala laws

No; it most certainly did not.
And paying for care at the most expensive facilities is exactly WHY you get overcharged for other services: to cover them. Insurers are able to push back on those overcharges.

ACA literally stabilizes elements of the healthcare system, because instead of an uninsured person getting $50,000 worth of care in an ER that is fully unpaid, the ACA guarantees a minimum of $6k unpaid per insured patient who doesn't cover their deductible. That vastly limits the unpaid "losses" any care facility might see, per patient. Which gives them the leeway to reduce charges for other care.

EDIT: ACA also protects the smaller/rural hospitals with coverage for everyone, by reducing their unpaid liabilities, because they are FAR less able to deal with multiple uninsureds gobbling up ER dollars they cannot reimburse.

Last edited:
LOLWUT?
The US healthcare system isn't "communism", idiot. It's monopolistic.
The system of paying for it most certainly is. From each according to their means to each according to their needs. Tax people and redirect those funds to pay for it. That is communism

Would love to pay less.

At the end of the day the only way that happens is if providers take less. Otherwise what you are talking about is a cost shift. My guess is those in the middle class with employer provided insurance come out losers.

if I am wrong just show me the math.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
So why hasn't Trump reversed it? He said he would do it day one?

Why did he lie?

He promised us a better and cheaper health care system that would cover everyone with pre-existing conditions and allow children to remain on their parents' policies until 26. The hard part is that Republicans know that if they want to keep those promises and also keep private health insurance companies, they would have to have a plan that looks an awful lot like Obamacare. It can't economically be done otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT