ADVERTISEMENT

Will we ever be a cashless society?

Feb 9, 2013
Maybe not officially, but effectively. I was recently traveling overseas and they are much further along in this regard. Either no cash or making paying with cash inconvenient.

Even went to an Amazon grocery store a couple times - you load up a bag and walk out through the scanners and it automatically calculates your bill and charges via the card tied to your Amazon account. I still haven’t figured all that out but it worked. Maybe these are already in the US but it was new to me.

It’s certainly easier than fumbling with cash or checks.

Thoughts?

There are now claims that those stores don't use RFID or AI but 1,000 people in India watching shoppers on camera. Amazon denies it but they are shutting down a lot of those walk out stores.

Iirc that’s how all of the voice command tech was working for a while and may still be

But no, we will never be cashless

The older I get the more impatient I get with really elderly people that wait for everything to be rung up and then painstakingly start digging through their coin purses looking for exact change. Multiple looks at the register and then in the coin purse and then again at the register. Then trying to count out bills.

The older I get the more impatient I get with really elderly people that wait for everything to be rung up and then painstakingly start digging through their coin purses looking for exact change. Multiple looks at the register and then in the coin purse and then again at the register. Then trying to count out bills.
And then tucking all the change back into the respective locations in their wallets and purses…

Reactions: EasyHawk
They have Amazon go stores in Chicago and some other major cities. I've shopped at a lot of cashless stores recently. Local Craft Cellar in Cedar Rapids is one example. When I was in Arizona there were quite a few.

Restaurants are going in that direction too. One of the problems is employee theft and a card goes around that.
The concession stands at sports or music events are cashless and have been for a few years.

We laugh at your impatience!

Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

Correct. Managing the countries currency and shutting off peoples access like a switch are two different things. This is also the very reason behind the popularity of crypto.

Maybe add some cigarettes to your go bag for bartering purposes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT