ADVERTISEMENT

Wind Turbine Electricity Generated in Iowa

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
I saw a headline that said more than 60% Iowa’s electricity is wind turbine generated. Is that anywhere near accurate? How does your governor let ANY electricity be generated by wind turbines with Trump’s assertion it causes cancer?

I saw a headline that said more than 60% Iowa’s electricity is wind turbine generated. Is that anywhere near accurate? How does your governor let ANY electricity be generated by wind turbines with Trump’s assertion it causes cancer?

I believe it takes the amount used by certain customers (not sure if Alliant has wind generation but I’m sure they do) and the total generated by the wind turbines. I’m pretty positive that all Iowans don’t use just wind energy but it goes into the grid.

And here I thought this thread would be about something positive, which wind generated energy is in Iowa. Naa. Let’s politic.

How many of them got destroyed by tornadoes yesterday? Iowa has over 6000 turbines currently, so I'm guessing the numbers didn't change that much.

Yeah but didn’t you see the ROI is awful. Only 62 percent of iowas power generated In 2022.

Pussy ass wind turbines

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeyez

Trump is an idiot, the Governor doesn't control energy production, and wind turbines don't cause cancer,.. Other than that, you're batting a 1000...

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Will be interesting to see if we rebuild.

The ROI on them isn't great and I have to believe today changed the numbers.

The secret to actually building all of them is the tax credits given. For the first 10 years you got a tax credit when they were built so they were beneficial even when not running. Then they had something (can’t remember the term for it) basically they put on larger blades and/or a larger motor and the 10 year tax credit started all over again.

trump's full of shit. We get our cancer from agriculture run off. And kim is proud of it.

The secret to actually building all of them is the tax credits given. For the first 10 years you got a tax credit when they were built so they were beneficial even when not running. Then they had something (can’t remember the term for it) basically they put on larger blades and/or a larger motor and the 10 year tax credit started all over again.
Agreed. The only reason those things exist is they are subsidized out the yin yang.

They produce 60% of our energy, that doesn't mean they are the cheapest or best way to get the energy. ( evidenced by thr multitude of them laying on the ground around tornado alley today

Agreed. The only reason those things exist is they are subsidized out the yin yang.

They produce 60% of our energy, that doesn't mean they are the cheapest or best way to get the energy. ( evidenced by thr multitude of them laying on the ground around tornado alley today

I’m actually fine with the wind production, I shake my head at having solar in Iowa. You have extremely rich farm land and waste it by putting up solar. Much better places and less fertile ground you could build solar farms. Plus they aren’t great when it comes to efficiency.

I’m actually fine with the wind production, I shake my head at having solar in Iowa. You have extremely rich farm land and waste it by putting up solar. Much better places and less fertile ground you could build solar farms. Plus they aren’t great when it comes to efficiency.
I don't mind them, sometimes they are nice, sometimes the lights are annoying. The signature hole at my local.club has one in the background and it makes it feel very "Iowa" ish.

What I do know is, if those things had to run like a real business ans actually be profitable, they wouldn't exist.

I don't mind them, sometimes they are nice, sometimes the lights are annoying. The signature hole at my local.club has one in the background and it makes it feel very "Iowa" ish.

What I do know is, if those things had to run like a real business ans actually be profitable, they wouldn't exist.

MidAmerican owns over 2,000 of them (that’s from a couple years ago So that number has increased) they are making money. I will be interested to see what they do when the tax credit ends.

Also, just remembered the word for when they change out blades and motors and the 10 year credit starts over. It’s called “repower”

MidAmerican owns over 2,000 of them (that’s from a couple years ago So that number has increased) they are making money. I will be interested to see what they do when the tax credit ends.

Also, just remembered the word for when they change out blades and motors and the 10 year credit starts over. It’s called “repower”
Mid America gets giant subsidies from the feds. Fwiw Branstead started it.

They ( MA) are "making money" because the federal government is willing to lose money in hopes the tech advances and some day they do become.profitable.

Last night didn't help that.

Anyone who has driven across the state can certainly see why wind is the predominant energy supplier. Those windmills are everywhere. I do some business with Midamerican and the contacts that I talk to said that wind is all they are looking at for expansion. Between not needing as much manpower and the lesser regulation on wind it’s the greatest return of investment for them. They stated they will still make money hand over fist without the subsidies.

Anyone who has driven across the state can certainly see why wind is the predominant energy supplier. Those windmills are everywhere. I do some business with Midamerican and the contacts that I talk to said that wind is all they are looking at for expansion. Between not needing as much manpower and the lesser regulation on wind it’s the greatest return of investment for them.
#wellfairqueens

Wind power was 62% of Iowa’s total power generation in 2022. There are windy days that 100% is from wind.

When I drive to the Quad Cities from Minnesota, more often than not I see that a good number of the wind turbines aren't spinning at all. Sometimes it is 20-30% of them, other times it is way north of 50% of them are stopped. I always wonder why that would be. Seems like a lot more electricity could be generated and it could be closer to 100% most of the time.

When I drive to the Quad Cities from Minnesota, more often than not I see that a good number of the wind turbines aren't spinning at all. Sometimes it is 20-30% of them, other times it is way north of 50% of them are stopped. I always wonder why that would be. Seems like a lot more electricity could be generated and it could be closer to 100% most of the time.
It has to do with wind direction and how fast they can spin the blades.

Reactions: MplsHawk
They can't be rotated to face the wind? I also thought that they had braking systems to limit the blade rotation speed when necessary.
No. I don't think so, which is why they are all positioned the way they are. If those things had motors in them to turn the head of what I will ignorantly call the "fan" that would take a giant motor and likely kill all productivity.

#2. I don't know that part.

Reactions: MplsHawk
Tornadoes don't knock over coal mines, is that cost accounted foe in your projections?

I didn't realize coal mines and coal power plants were immune from tornadoes. Oh, wait...

Speaking of solar, I went kayaking at Pleasant Creek Lake last weekend and drove by the former Duane Arnold Energy Center. The amount of solar panels in place and being constructed around the plant is incredible! I’m curious how the electrical output of those panels upon completion will compare to what DA produced.

No. I don't think so, which is why they are all positioned the way they are. If those things had motors in them to turn the head of what I will ignorantly call the "fan" that would take a giant motor and likely kill all productivity.

#2. I don't know that part.

Could you at least Google how a wind turbine works before spewing your ignorance?

bart simpson facepalm GIF

I didn't realize coal mines and coal power plants were immune from tornadoes. Oh, wait...

And the next day they will go right back to.work and produce.more energy. Meanwhile they are finding wind turbines in backyards in Earlham.

A wind farm is operated in conjunction with other power plants. At any given time the grid needs a certain amount of energy in certain places. They have algorithms based on available power and power need to 'turn on' available power. A wind farm as a unit has different capacity factors always at play. Generator nameplate capacity, power available in the wind at a given time, optimal power output per generator etc.

There is significant management that allows wind to be more adaptable to power needs when wind is actually blowing than any other type of power generation available. As with all things simple there is a ton of complex behind the scenes making delivery to homes and industry seamless. There is no one end all best way to generate power. All ways have to integrate with each other. Grid management is just management of input and output characteristics...none of which are apparent while driving by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT