ADVERTISEMENT

Wind Turbine Electricity Generated in Iowa

No. I don't think so, which is why they are all positioned the way they are. If those things had motors in them to turn the head of what I will ignorantly call the "fan" that would take a giant motor and likely kill all productivity.

#2. I don't know that part.
You don't know anything about wind power except you have an axe to grind against it.

All turbines have pitch control, yaw systems, and braking systems for both safety and maintenance.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
You don't know anything about wind power except you have an axe to grind against it.

All turbines have pitch control, yaw systems, and braking systems for both safety and maintenance.
Yes. And those gears help reduce stress on super windy days right? That was his question.

I know they have the ability to control the fan for max absorption, I did not know they could rotate 360 degrees.

All of the listed COE are far more variable because all generation requires an input and maintenance. When generation isn't being used it still has ongoing associated costs too.

Everything is far more micro as installed than the talking points for each technology essentially.

Yes. And those gears help reduce stress on super windy days right? That was his question.

I know they have the ability to control the fan for max absorption, I did not know they could rotate 360 degrees.
There are gears plural and there are different types of gears in different subsystems. A pitch control gear on the blade assembly is far different than gears that are between the blade assembly and generator.

A transmission and differential in a vehicle are very different, but both have gears and are part of the drivetrain.

Yes the can rotate their angle of attack as the wind blows from different directions. The pattern of individual wind turbines is laid out according to what is called a wind rose. Different patterns are more efficient at different topography also.

It isn't about debris, it's about down time.

I appreciate the info.
You're welcome. A turbine missing is essentially down for maintenance in the system even though it's down for the count. What was damaged on the generation side is distributed as opposed to non-renewable options so in this instance negligible in the grand scheme.

Substation and main transmission line damage are the vast majority of what causes outages.

I’m actually fine with the wind production, I shake my head at having solar in Iowa. You have extremely rich farm land and waste it by putting up solar. Much better places and less fertile ground you could build solar farms. Plus they aren’t great when it comes to efficiency.
Farmers can double dip by putting their land in set aside, not farming it while putting up solar, getting paid on both. Ingenious. Put up some trees to create a forest and there is another form of payment. Farmers know what they are doing. Or should say, land owners.

Agreed. The only reason those things exist is they are subsidized out the yin yang.

They produce 60% of our energy, that doesn't mean they are the cheapest or best way to get the energy. ( evidenced by thr multitude of them laying on the ground around tornado alley today
Subsidized is now a bad thing, whiskey? Good thing “we” don’t subsidize Big Oil, ain’t it?

Agreed. The only reason those things exist is they are subsidized out the yin yang.

They produce 60% of our energy, that doesn't mean they are the cheapest or best way to get the energy. ( evidenced by thr multitude of them laying on the ground around tornado alley today
you're kidding right. You think the fossil fuel industry doesn't get breaks and subsidies. How do you think they got up and running?
They are a logic and necessary step in the evolution of energy.

I shake my head at having solar in Iowa.

Every concrete parking lot should have overhead solar panels.

Serves MULITPLE purposes.

Son golfed in a tourney last year at Pleasant Valley and they had this.

Thought it was the coolest thing ever. Pun intended? It's possible.

Extremely warm day. They were collecting energy, at the same time the vehicles sat in shade. I would also guess the concrete would have a longer life.

That's a win, win, win.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
They can't be rotated to face the wind? I also thought that they had braking systems to limit the blade rotation speed when necessary.

They can be rotated to face the wind and blade pitch can be adjusted to control input RPM...

Reactions: MplsHawk
Trump is an idiot, the Governor doesn't control energy production, and wind turbines don't cause cancer,.. Other than that, you're batting a 1000...
No but local governments do, and they are universally MAGA. Two counties down here in SEI have blocked wind development. Mind that they think farmers should be able to decide how their land is used, think pipelines, but not if those farmers want to allow for the production of green energy.

Extremely warm day. They were collecting energy, at the same time the vehicles sat in shade. I would also guess the concrete would have a longer life.

That's a win, win, win.
our college has them as well. I’m going to screw up the details but one of the issues is that if you’re electric bill is too large they are not cost effective. Something about generation relative to the reimbursed rate from solar. I do t remember exactly. We could only put them in two buildings because those were metered separately.

That's a win, win, win.

Yeah, you’re talking concrete parking lots. I was only talking about farmland. In California I see a lot of what you are talking about in parking lots with solar panels over parking stalls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT