ADVERTISEMENT

With all the combo, we need to play Loyola Marymount style from the 80s

Originally posted by Letsgohawks411:
130 points per game! Paul Westhead transition offense!
You are on the right track.

To use McCaffery's own words, we would like to "Play fast, but not stupid."

We saw a little of where we are heading in 2013/14, but due to lack of ball handlers (loss of Marble, addition of Jok) we've cut the breaks down from run and see what happens, to run when something good will happen.

Anyway, close. Not Loyola, but fast.

Originally posted by Letsgohawks411:
130 points per game! Paul Westhead transition offense!
I'm not sure I agree with the transition offense philosophy but I like how you are thinking. It's basically an offshoot of what I preached yesterday. Iowa needs to be zigging when everyone else is zagging. Be trend setters, not followers. If everyone is going to recruit big guards, recruit the best smaller, quicker guards. Matchup nightmares for opponents. The same with the bigs. Quick guards who can drive to the bucket and guards (even smaller ones) who can shoot lights out from beyond the arc. Watch the quick little guards in the NBA, they give the bigger guards fits trying to defend them. The problem with the little guards in the NBA is you can't play zone so they isolate the small guy and post them up. In college you can play zone so the size isn't as detrimental.

Fran needs to cease the opportunity that's available because of market inefficiency.

Originally posted by Ronman:
I watch very little of the NBA, but I thought they changed the rule against playing zone defense.
A college style zone is not allowed in the NBA, but a more limited zone can be done. It's used more of a change of pace rather than as a base defense.

I watch very little of the NBA, but I thought they changed the rule against playing zone defense.
You can play zone in the NBA.

Phantom, I disagree with your ideas on zigging and zagging, etc. Fran is not looking to be like Michigan or Iowa State or whoever. He is looking to do it his way. It is pretty obvious after 5 years that he wants to push the ball offensively and press defensively. He wants to be able to play both man and zone pretty equally and he likes to get his guys anticipating and out in passing lanes. If he can get a little water bug point guard, like Ulis, who can really play then great but I doubt he would ever go out of his way to recruit small.

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:

You can play zone in the NBA.

Phantom, I disagree with your ideas on zigging and zagging, etc. Fran is not looking to be like Michigan or Iowa State or whoever. He is looking to do it his way. It is pretty obvious after 5 years that he wants to push the ball offensively and press defensively. He wants to be able to play both man and zone pretty equally and he likes to get his guys anticipating and out in passing lanes. If he can get a little water bug point guard, like Ulis, who can really play then great but I doubt he would ever go out of his way to recruit small.
You can't play a college-type zone in the NBA. If the defensive player is unguarded in the paint, it's a technical (defensive 3 second call).

Fran wants to push the ball but it's been pretty ineffective the past 1.5 years. B1G teams have figured it out. Teams just race their guards back and make sure Iowa doesn't get the break, this forces them into a halfcourt game, which isn't their strong suit.

BTW, I'm not saying Fran is going to adopt my ideas, but a smart coach will and everyone will wonder how they are winning. Iowa can't afford to be a follower. They aren't going to outrecruit the better schools in the conference, and I'm still not convinced Fran is a great developer of talent or a great game coach. IMO a smarter strategy would be to attack the market inefficiencies. Fran's style worked at smaller schools where he could out-recruit the other schools. This will not happen at Iowa, not recruiting the type of players he's recruiting.

If Fran was at OSU, Mich, MSU, his could implement his system and probably be one of the better teams every season. I don't believe he can do this at Iowa. He's needs to be doing things smarter, more efficient, and different than the other guys.

Take a look at Wis football. Everyone is adopting the wide open offense. Wis adopted what one would say is a boring offensive system. However, they were able to recruit big bruising lineman, and great RB's because everyone else was focusing on passing the ball 40 times a game. Wis knew they couldn't recruit the skilled players to compete with they OSU's, so they said will play smash mouth and beat the hell out of you. It's actually how Kirk started out at Iowa and why they were nicknamed the "Bullies of the Big Ten".

Fran should be trying to recruit the quickest guards and best shooting guards he can find. If they are 6'5", great. However, if they are 6'1", who cares. Quick guards give bigger players trouble, especially if the bigger guard hasn't seen many of them.

Re: With all the combo, we need to play Loyola Marymount style from t

I'll take the big guard almost every time. Give me the guy who gets switched on to a big and can hold his own. Yogi looked pretty dumb the other night right? Give me the guy who has the length to play a Syracuse type zone
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: With all the combo, we need to play Loyola Marymount style from t

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:
I'll take the big guard almost every time. Give me the guy who gets switched on to a big and can hold his own. Yogi looked pretty dumb the other night right? Give me the guy who has the length to play a Syracuse type zone
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yogi didn't get dumber from his freshman year to this year. He has no talent around him now. Put him on Iowa and the Hawks could go deep in the tournament. The big stretch guards need to play zone because they can't defend the quick guards man-to-man.

Again, Iowa isn't going to out recruit the big boys for the big guards. If the goal is to make the tournament most years but not compete for the B1G title, then they could do this under the current philosophy. If they want to raise the program to Wis level then they need to do things differently. It's all about goals.

Originally posted by DanL53:

Some posters make Kilroy look good.
This coming from the guy who thinks "rankings don't matter". Kentucky is laughing at your opinion. Oh, and what is the lie you are going to tell about me today? How about saying I claimed White shouldn't start and shouldn't play more than 5 minutes a game. The truth really doesn't seem to matter with you, so go ahead and spread more lies.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

This coming from the guy who thinks "rankings don't matter". Kentucky is laughing at your opinion. Oh, and what is the lie you are going to tell about me today? How about saying I claimed White shouldn't start and shouldn't play more than 5 minutes a game. The truth really doesn't seem to matter with you, so go ahead and spread more lies.
You are such a dope. I've seen what, four threads or so, since last night where you are TELLING another poster why they are wrong and you are right. You lied AGAIN about my views on recruiting just now. And the thing is, people who read these boards don't forget an idiot like you.

My favorite post of yours, if you must know, is your explanation of why the Hawkeyes really WERE as bad as you predicted but it was the rest of the Big Ten that was WORSE than you thought it would be. But that the other poster was WRONG about being right about the Hawkeyes potential this season.
laugh.r191677.gif

Holy High Heaven you are bat s*&t crazy!!!

You've been gone through the six game winning streak and only got the gut up to come back after the Penn State loss (for the most part) I wonder what kind of streak it will take to get rid of you again?!?!? Of course, the season isn't even over and you are already predicting doom and gloom for next year.

I've only one thing to add to dope and bat s%t crazy, and that would be liar. A lying, bat s%^t crazy, dope!

You are such a dope. I've seen what, four threads or so, since last night where you are TELLING another poster why they are wrong and you are right. You lied AGAIN about my views on recruiting just now. And the thing is, people who read these boards don't forget an idiot like you.

My favorite post of yours, if you must know, is your explanation of why the Hawkeyes really WERE as bad as you predicted but it was the rest of the Big Ten that was WORSE than you thought it would be. But that the other poster was WRONG about being right about the Hawkeyes potential this season.
laugh.r191677.gif

You've been gone through the six game winning streak and only got the gut up to come back after the Penn State loss (for the most part) I wonder what kind of streak it will take to get rid of you again?!?!? Of course, the season isn't even over and you are already predicting doom and gloom for next year.

I've only one thing to add to dope and bat s%t crazy, and that would be liar. A lying, bat s%^t crazy, dope!
I didn't lie about your position we had several discussions about this issue before early in the season. You argued with several posters who disagreed with your argument. Hey, I agree your position is an ignorant one backed up with nothing to support it but don't take that out on me.

Where did the B1G rank in power conferences? Please cite for me the basketball experts who thought this was a strong B1G this season. Michigan was decimated due to injuries. OSU struggled because of youth. Since you are so smart, how many B1G teams were ranked? Let's try to deal with facts, Dan, instead of childish rantings. The B1G got 1 team (Wis) with a seed lower than a 7 seed. ONE!!!! I didn't make the pairings, the committee did and based on these seedings they weren't impressed with the strength of the conference. So, why don't you call them bat **** crazy.

I wasn't "gone" through the 6 game winning streak. I posted, but since I was giving kudos you didn't get your nose out of joint. You know how many posts I made after the PSU? ZERO. I didn't start posting until the pairings came out. Once again, you get your facts wrong. Doom and gloom for next year? LOL. I said Iowa is likely going to struggle with the loss of Whitey and Gabe. How ridiculous I think this would be the case losing the team's leading rebounder, top scorer and one of the best players to ever play at Iowa. Stop with the paranoia act.

Words of advice for you. Take a couple days off from posting. Seriously. You tend to fly off the handle and that last paragraph is really juvenile. You've given yourself self imposed timeouts before because you've admitted you "lose it" at times. This may be a good time for you to relax and enjoy other things.

laugh.r191677.gif

I didn't lie about your position we had several discussions about this issue before early in the season. You argued with several posters who disagreed with your argument. Hey, I agree your position is an ignorant one backed up with nothing to support it but don't take that out on me.

Where did the B1G rank in power conferences? Please cite for me the basketball experts who thought this was a strong B1G this season. Michigan was decimated due to injuries. OSU struggled because of youth. Since you are so smart, how many B1G teams were ranked? Let's try to deal with facts, Dan, instead of childish rantings. The B1G got 1 team (Wis) with a seed lower than a 7 seed. ONE!!!! I didn't make the pairings, the committee did and based on these seedings they weren't impressed with the strength of the conference. So, why don't you call them bat **** crazy.

I wasn't "gone" through the 6 game winning streak. I posted, but since I was giving kudos you didn't get your nose out of joint. You know how many posts I made after the PSU? ZERO. I didn't start posting until the pairings came out. Once again, you get your facts wrong. Doom and gloom for next year? LOL. I said Iowa is likely going to struggle with the loss of Whitey and Gabe. How ridiculous I think this would be the case losing the team's leading rebounder, top scorer and one of the best players to ever play at Iowa. Stop with the paranoia act.

Words of advice for you. Take a couple days off from posting. Seriously. You tend to fly off the handle and that last paragraph is really juvenile. You've given yourself self imposed timeouts before because you've admitted you "lose it" at times. This may be a good time for you to relax and enjoy other things.
ONE!!!! Maryland and Wiscy. You don't have to tell everyone the BIG was down, that's been obvious for a while but I'm sure you'll give credit to yourself 3 years down the road.

laugh.r191677.gif

I've said and it is my opinion, that after the top 35, or so, ranked players, the rankings are pretty much useless.
That hasn't changed and won't change. But you continually lie and say claim I said the rankings are useless.

As to the rest, you've lost it. I hope you get the help you need.

Originally posted by buttermypancakes:

laugh.r191677.gif

ONE!!!! Maryland and Wiscy. You don't have to tell everyone the BIG was down, that's been obvious for a while but I'm sure you'll give credit to yourself 3 years down the road.
You're correct. I forgot about Md. You might want to tell Dan the B1G was down, he doesn't seem to think that was the case.

In 3 years you'll still be bringing up my incorrect conference prediction this year. It's been an obsession with you this season.

laugh.r191677.gif

I've said and it is my opinion, that after the top 35, or so, ranked players, the rankings are pretty much useless.
That hasn't changed and won't change. But you continually lie and say claim I said the rankings are useless.

Nice backtrack. This isn't quite what you said and you left out key points, but hey, for a guy who calls me a liar based on some fictional Woody quote, not too bad. At least you are moving to the kernal of truth territory and that's a start.

I (and others) have asked if you have anything to support your "rankings are pretty much useless" (after 35) opinion. Maybe 10 years from now you'll shock us by providing a shred of evidence to support your opinion.

laugh.r191677.gif

Nice backtrack. This isn't quite what you said and you left out key points, but hey, for a guy who calls me a liar based on some fictional Woody quote, not too bad. At least you are moving to the kernal of truth territory and that's a start.

I (and others) have asked if you have anything to support your "rankings are pretty much useless" (after 35) opinion. Maybe 10 years from now you'll shock us by providing a shred of evidence to support your opinion.

Perhaps we can go to Hawkeye Report Civil Court and sue each other to see who wins? Please, enlighten me as to what key points I could have left out?
laugh.r191677.gif
Seems pretty cut and dried to me, and I think people who read my posts know I don't get highly technical.

On the other hand, now, you...this thread alone. I doubt anyone will be buying a used post off of you.

Perhaps we can go to Hawkeye Report Civil Court and sue each other to see who wins? Please, enlighten me as to what key points I could have left out?
laugh.r191677.gif
Seems pretty cut and dried to me, and I think people who read my posts know I don't get highly technical.

On the other hand, now, you...this thread alone. I doubt anyone will be buying a used post off of you.
LOL. From the guy who called me a liar with a totally made up Woody quote. Then when I brought up the point my criticisms have repeatedly been the weak guard play, not the bigs this year, you fall silent. Also, you became a mute when I brought up our discussion, a while ago, where I said Fran needed to use the final scholarship (at that time we had one) on a PG or a good shooting 2G. You wanted to waste it on a backup big stiff. How you then could claim I said Woody must be replaced next year is beyond me but I've stopped trying to figure out your lies.

Oh, and a guy who's repeatedly used name calling and profanity in these threads highlights the weakness of your position.

flyer you are a fraud pure and simple. you have noithing to back up your claim about Fran not being a good coach or that he will never get top rated players to come to IA,

Woody was rated top 50 by every site, Gesell was top 100 by every site, Uthoff was top 100 by 3 sites and top 125 by Rivals, JO was top 125 by everybody. again you are proven to be a liar. and you will be again as IA is recruitind and may sign at least 2 top 100 players in the 2016 class, and is on a top 50 PG. and if Lovett a 4* pg out of Chicago goes to a prep school might get back onto Fran's radar. "AGAIN"

this is what IA's class could look like in the 16 class

4* 6'10 Rakocevic rated the 65th best player
3* 6'8 Pemsyl rated 132nd best player committed
4* 6'7 Santos rated the 94th best player

these are their rating before this summers evaluations.

possible PG's
4* Winston rated the 33rd best player
4* Lovett will be rerated for the 2016 class.

there will be others along the way, there has been talk of a pg that is friends and played with Rakovecic and Santos, can't remember his name but he is from the Chicago area.

actually this team looks like it might be a copy of Denny Crums Louisville teams of the 70's and early 80's long athletic 6'5 to 6'8 players

Hawkeye2222 posted on 3/18/2015...

actually this team looks like it might be a copy of Denny Crums Louisville teams of the 70's and early 80's long athletic 6'5 to 6'8 players

*I was thinking more like the Lakers of the 80s or the Bulls of the 90s

This post was edited on 3/19 8:42 AM by 4th & 9 inches

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT