ADVERTISEMENT

Woke Mind Virus - UCLA Medical School version

Some people seem to want a quick fix to the issues of generational poverty and inequity. It is just not possible. Admitting students who are not capable of doing the work simply because of the color of their skin does not help the student, the profession or their cause.

I am all for having diversity throughout all professions. But to get there you need to take the long view. Inner city STEM programming at a young age. After school mentoring programs. Inner city entrepreneurship training and the like. Simply relaxing standards makes the DEI crowd feel good in the moment, but backfires in the long run. They have it all backwards.

Some people seem to want a quick fix to the issues of generational poverty and inequity. It is just not possible. Admitting students who are not capable of doing the work simply because of the color of their skin does not help the student, the profession or their cause.

I am all for having diversity throughout all professions. But to get there you need to take the long view. Inner city STEM programming at a young age. After school mentoring programs. Inner city entrepreneurship training and the like. Simply relaxing standards makes the DEI crowd feel good in the moment, but backfires in the long run. They have it all backwards.
Bolded is the nail on the head. The "quick fix" approach on something like this leads to some really bad policy.

BS! Next you're going to be talking about personal accountability, absentee parents, and other crap that can all be cancelled out by universal basic income and DEI.

“the admissions committee gives black and Latino applicants a pass for subpar metrics, four people who served on it said, while whites and Asians need near perfect scores to even be considered.”

Idiocracy is real and is being caused by Liberals.

Bizarro World.

Free Beacon isn't a source I'd rely on.

Yes. That's how they roll.

UCLA likely has some issues due to shitty administration; FB is using those to push their own agendas here.
as a board leftist, i would like to know if the information is accurate too.
Sometimes you have to ask if something passes the initial smell test. To me it passes that test. So, is it worthy of questioning the sources credibility yes but I do believe they are lying, no. This is becoming par for the course.

You know, I've always wanted to be a whistleblower. I know OP blows in general, but where do I apply to be an actual nark snitch whistleblower?

Whistle Blower Netflix GIF by Stranger Things

o-shea-jackson-ice-cube-snitches-get-stitches-hgtwjsq00p7ycqk8.gif

What did they publish that is factually incorrect?
Even if it is, what is the scandal? UCLA can decide how and who they want to admit to the program. The students still need to succeed and pass their boards before they can practice. If the selection committee is wrong then the student doesn't make it. If they're right, they do.

Even if it is, what is the scandal? UCLA can decide how and who they want to admit to the program. The students still need to succeed and pass their boards before they can practice. If the selection committee is wrong then the student doesn't make it. If they're right, they do.
Well isn’t that discrimination? They are potentially choosing someone based on race instead of taking the most qualified.
If they are allowed to discriminate, why are some business allowed to do so and then the next business gets sued because they aren’t allowed to discriminate.

The scandal is not providing our country with the best doctors we can. Lowering the bar occasionally leads to lowering it more and more often.

Well isn’t that discrimination? They are potentially choosing someone based on race instead of taking the most qualified.
If they are allowed to discriminate, why are some business allowed to do so and then the next business gets sued because they aren’t allowed to discriminate.
They are trying to review applicants based on more than test scores. That's not new or discriminatory. Well, it discriminates against people who are wealthy enough to spend a ton of money on prep classes.

Have the review board criteria changed? If not, how is it lowering the bar?
So you are in favor of an underprivileged student paying a massive amount of money to go to medical school when the school itself has people questioning the student’s competence? If the student fails the boards then they have just wasted a shit ton of money,

Seems pretty unfair to the underprivileged student if you ask me.

So you are in favor of an underprivileged student paying a massive amount of money to go to medical school when the school itself has people questioning the student’s competence? If the student fails the boards then they have just wasted a shit ton of money,

Seems pretty unfair to the underprivileged student if you ask me.
The review board thinks that they can succeed. They just don't have the standardized test scores of other students.
If they succeed we have another well educated doctor.
But yes, all higher education is a financial risk in this environment.

It is an interesting read, and it would seem to be an easy fix: cross reference testing with admissions given to students who didn't meet the criteria, and if there is a correlation, give the lady her walking papers.

I googled to see if there was any other source and found a message board post that has an alternate view from a faculty member as to why people may be struggling, which was a policy change as to how students are taught.

A few years ago the medical school made some major changes to the curriculum, essentially the two preclinical years were cut down to one year. For those of us who went through medical school these two years are difficult and there is a great deal to learn in this time. The thought was to cut out the waste and focus on the key topics, I can say without a doubt this has been a colossal failure. The residents and faculty I work with have noticed a dramatic decrease in the knowledge of the medical students since this change. Most medical schools still have two years of pre-clinical curriculum and then as a third year student you start your clinical rotations and then the 4th year is primarily based on specialty rotations and applying to your chosen field. While many people can argue if this is the ideal model for teaching medical students, I can tell you with certainty it is better than what UCLA has done. UCLA decided to cram the two years of pre-clinical courses into one year. Then the 2nd year students do their clinical rotations, the third year is an “discovery year” where students can do anything they want and then they return as 4th year students for the typical 4th year rotations.

UCLA Medical School in crisis

You make a good point.

But...

What if this leads to students getting through med school, but failing the USMLE exams? Or maybe they pass, with each part only requiring roughly 60%, but score way lower than students coming out of school with the previous requirements? Two doctors, both passing the USMLE, aren't necessarily equal.

Did I say it was a scandal? I didn't. I was merely challenging Joe about his claim the article is factually incorrect. Since Joe believes he knows everything, that should be a simple question to answer.

They are trying to review applicants based on more than test scores. That's not new or discriminatory. Well, it discriminates against people who are wealthy enough to spend a ton of money on prep classes.
You still didn’t answer the second part of my question though.
to add onto your lovely insight. Why are businesses then allowed to require a certain degree for a job. Maybe someone who could do the job doesn’t have a degree because they couldn’t afford the education and didn’t know Biden would forgive his/her student loans.

You make a good point.

But...

What if this leads to students getting through med school, but failing the USMLE exams? Or maybe they pass, with each part only requiring roughly 60%, but score way lower than students coming out of school with the previous requirements? Two doctors, both passing the USMLE, aren't necessarily equal.

Did I say it was a scandal? I didn't. I was merely challenging Joe about his claim the article is factually incorrect. Since Joe believes he knows everything, that should be a simple question to answer.
There could be any number of outcomes.
But I would guess that it leads to a net increase in doctors. The applicants with very high test scores that didn't get into UCLA will almost certainly still become doctors. However some of these non-traditional students will get a first class education and many will become doctors that might not have otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: NotTHATscience1
It is an interesting read, and it would seem to be an easy fix: cross reference testing with admissions given to students who didn't meet the criteria, and if there is a correlation, give the lady her walking papers.

I googled to see if there was any other source and found a message board post that has an alternate view from a faculty member as to why people may be struggling, which was a policy change as to how students are taught.

A few years ago the medical school made some major changes to the curriculum, essentially the two preclinical years were cut down to one year. For those of us who went through medical school these two years are difficult and there is a great deal to learn in this time. The thought was to cut out the waste and focus on the key topics, I can say without a doubt this has been a colossal failure. The residents and faculty I work with have noticed a dramatic decrease in the knowledge of the medical students since this change. Most medical schools still have two years of pre-clinical curriculum and then as a third year student you start your clinical rotations and then the 4th year is primarily based on specialty rotations and applying to your chosen field. While many people can argue if this is the ideal model for teaching medical students, I can tell you with certainty it is better than what UCLA has done. UCLA decided to cram the two years of pre-clinical courses into one year. Then the 2nd year students do their clinical rotations, the third year is an “discovery year” where students can do anything they want and then they return as 4th year students for the typical 4th year rotations.

UCLA Medical School in crisis

Oh, weird....OTHER FACTS that FreeBeacon didn't tell the MAGAs about!!!!

You still didn’t answer the second part of my question though.
to add onto your lovely insight. Why are businesses then allowed to require a certain degree for a job. Maybe someone who could do the job doesn’t have a degree because they couldn’t afford the education and didn’t know Biden would forgive his/her student loans.
We have decided that it's in the best interest of the nation that certain jobs require licensing.
UCLA admitting non-traditional students doesn't change that.

• Haha
I was merely challenging Joe about his claim the article is factually incorrect.

And, as has been posted for you now BEFORE The Free Beacon article came out, there is OTHER information that the Free Beacon did not disclose to you on this topic.

The author of that information makes no mention of "minority students" or "taking unqualified applicants".

The author of that information says they have drastically altered their curriculum and he/she sees a direct line from that to poorer performance across the board with their students: white, black, asian, hispanic.

But you gulp down the narrative the Free Beacon delivers to you w/o considering anything else.

BAU.

I don't want to shock Elon's testicle gargler but all medical, dental and law schools do this. Since forever. I've sat on admissions committees and guess what? People of certain minority status get admitted with lot lower academic credentials. Lots lower. The world hasn't ended because of that.

It has to happen organically and through the opportunities you laid out.

Most people don’t want to feel the reason they were given something was because of their skin color and not personal merits. Conversely, no one wants to feel they were denied something because of their skin color.

Imagine trying to construct an NHL roster under those constraints or an NBA roster with reverse qualifications? Lol.

Reactions: GOHOX69
The students that are incompetent are the real issue

I don't believe I claimed otherwise; the post made 1 month before Free Beacon posted their Op Ed indicates there's a completely different source to the problem. That post makes no mention that it is "only" minority students admitted improperly - it clearly states compressing the classroom work from 2 yrs down to 1 year has impacted the entire class.

• Haha
I don't want to shock Elon's testicle gargler but all medical, dental and law schools do this. Since forever. I've sat on admissions committees and guess what? People of certain minority status get admitted with lot lower academic credentials. Lots lower. The world hasn't ended because of that.

So...just MAYBE the post that they radically altered their classroom format, cutting the class time learning in half, just MIGHT be a major factor here....

Hmm....

So...just MAYBE the post that they radically altered their classroom format, cutting the class time learning in half, just MIGHT be a major factor here....

Hmm....
Exactly. It has nothing to do with them having no barriers to letting stupid people in and convincing them that "anyone can be doctors. You just needs a few classes." And then altering the classes so said stupid people can pass them without actually learning the shit they need to learn to pass medical exams. Joes is right!

• Love
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
It has to happen organically and through the opportunities you laid out.

Most people don’t want to feel the reason they were given something was because of their skin color and not personal merits. Conversely, no one wants to feel they were denied something because of their skin color.

Imagine trying to construct an NHL roster under those constraints or an NBA roster with reverse qualifications? Lol.
Your are absolutely correct. The conversely sentence of yours is the real crux.

Yes. That's how they roll.

UCLA likely has some issues due to shitty administration; FB is using those to push their own agendas here.
Sources Jojo? Drop some of that pharma company knowledge in us. After all, if you don’t have an MHA, are you really qualified to comment?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT