ADVERTISEMENT

Woke Mind Virus - UCLA Medical School version

Sources Jojo? Drop some of that pharma company knowledge in us. After all, if you don’t have an MHA, are you really qualified to comment?
Joe and Huey are qualified to speak authoritatively on any topic. In that way, they are a lot like Donald Trump. In this particular case, Joe knows so much about admissions standards at UCLA that even those responsible for making admissions decisions at UCLA are impressed.

If the students can’t pass the boards the school will walk away with egg on their face and admins will be held accountable for making the school of medicine a disgrace.

• Haha
Reactions: NotTHATscience1
Exactly. It has nothing to do with them having no barriers to letting stupid people in and convincing them that "anyone can be doctors

Didn't make that claim.

Just odd that, had Free Beacon op-ed dude bothered to contact any of the UCLA faculty, they'd have learned that a major curriculum change was already identified as a major contributing factor.

Maybe they DID learn that, but they intentionally hid it from you to push the narrative they knew you'd lap up...

Didn't make that claim.

Just odd that, had Free Beacon op-ed dude bothered to contact any of the UCLA faculty, they'd have learned that a major curriculum change was already identified as a major contributing factor.

Maybe they DID learn that, but they intentionally hid it from you to push the narrative they knew you'd lap up...
Yeah...it wasn't until this random dude tweeted this that anyone thought that college lowering their standards for equity's sake was gonna result in a severe decrease of quality candidates for the smart people fields. This Beacon guy is such a trailblazer.

NOPE, Cletus

Already posted in this thread. Another UCLA faculty posted the EXACT SAME information a month ago.

But you're too dumb to read it, apparently.
Oh yeah...it wasn't until LAST MONTH that anyone thought this. Such a good correction on your part. No one foresaw this years ago. It was just last month. Great point.

Can’t imagine it does anyone any good to admit unqualified candidates who just rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans with no hope of a payback on the education.
This IS the core point. If unqualified candidates are admitted and cannot handle the work it doesn’t help anybody…especially the candidate who bears a debt burden they may not be able to repay.

The real issue is the inequities early in their lives that lead certain groups to have worse outcomes in school, etc. It is one part family environment, one part income disparity/lack of resources, one part cultural norms and one part environmental factors. That is where the resources should go. I volunteer with multiple non profits in inner city Chicago focused on these topics and they are severely under resourced.

I don't want to shock Elon's testicle gargler but all medical, dental and law schools do this. Since forever. I've sat on admissions committees and guess what? People of certain minority status get admitted with lot lower academic credentials. Lots lower. The world hasn't ended because of that.
It’s unfair and discriminatory

Joe and Huey are qualified to speak authoritatively on any topic. In that way, they are a lot like Donald Trump. In this particular case, Joe knows so much about admissions standards at UCLA that even those responsible for making admissions decisions at UCLA are impressed.

For all of his bluster, his ability to move a goalpost after being proven wrong is the most impressive quality. It must be because he is a scientist.

It’s unfair and discriminatory
I don't disagree with you. When I applied for med school (which I got in), I called the admission's office and said, "Hey, I'm Indian American." "Do you have any affirmative action programs for me or admissions breaks to get in?" There was a pause at the other end and soon the lady, who I guess was trying not to laugh, said "Are you being serious?" She said "most of the applicants we take in based on merit are either White, Asian (meaning I guess the far east) and Indian (India is also part of Asia but I knew what she meant). She then said "You need higher standards. Higher MCAT scores. Higher GPA. More volunteering etc etc." I was like, what the fk? So yes I am keenly aware and I think it is flat out wrong. Anecdotally, I know of white as white classmates of mine who straight out lied about their ethnicity to get in. Some claimed they were partially Black, some Native American, some Hispanic. 100% lies but hey it worked. When I sat on the committee, we took these declarations at face value so as to not offend the applicant or get our asses sued.

I don't believe in affirmative action, for anyone. Either work your ass off and get in or go do something else. I've been clear on that since day 1.

Just to book end this, what these stats don't tell you, but people in the know know is the amount of attrition and dropouts. It is not an insignificant number. It is hidden--top secret. And all committee's know this. This does not serve the student or the school. It's a lose lose situation and sadly I do know some of these folks. Either they find an alternate career or they are f'd. And yes, this does lead to things like an acute doctor shortage, which we have in the US. We now have foreign doctors and domestically trained buffoons treating patients and many states (including Iowa) have taken steps to hide this so patients and their loved ones can't find information on the doctor. In contrast, the lawyers in Iowa, are eager to put our names on disciplinary lists--in fact my brother and his former colleague are on that committee. Some doctors can barely speak English, others have misconduct issues, and others have bed side manner issues. Medicine, in the United States, is headed down the ole toilet. If you got leeches and maggots at home, I would practice ye olde medicine. It might be better standard of care than the actual clinic and far cheaper.

FYI, you don't have to head to California to experience this. Carver, at Iowa, takes many substandard candidates every year and UI Healthcare is replete with people you don't want fifteen feet from a living or dead human being.

The only disagreement I will raise, is that this shit has been happening for decades. Perhaps laypeople don't know about this but we've bent over backwards to take idiots for decades. What may be new is that now it is acute. Back then, we sprinkled a few into every class. Now we might have tons, dunno. I no longer sit on such committees. At any rate, some of these people, if they graduate (or allowed to graduate) will legit kill someone. That you can count on, one thousand bazillion percent.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NotTHATscience1
Are you? Because you’ve called some guy at the Free Beacon “your people”.

You asked "what Free Beacon was"

It's the original link, that claims (and you're supporting) demonstrates that Woke/DEI is the problem at UCLA.
That narrative has been challenged by folks who posted about the curriculum problems there having nothing to do with "Woke". And they posted those concerns 1 month before "YOUR BUDDIES" at Free Beacon wrote their Op Ed.

So, when you defend the Free Beacon narrative, when it's been pointed out to you that the narrative is flawed, it most certainly is "your people" that you are defending here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT