ADVERTISEMENT

Woman from California shares the biggest culture shocks she faced after moving to Iowa: ‘It’s crazy different’

I’ve never been to Iowa but know people from there. I’ve admired the overall work ethic and openness.
I do think you have to be tough to live in NYC. It’s not a place for the faint of heart.

I just had some Californians move into the neighborhood. Mid 40s, 8 kids. The parents are both in ssi, no teeth, sit and smoke all day on the porch. Said they made some money selling their home in Cali, bought a nicer house here. Honestly ruining the vibe in the neighborhood . They cus at their litter of kids all the time, they have a hummer, Ram, F350 all parked in the street. The house across from them is the nicest in town, I’m he’s pissed. Anyway, screw the California red necks
ohhhh ya, that's the mountain side of the state no one really likes to interact with. Beautiful to visit if you don't have to talk to the locals.

Reactions: Moral
This is a thread about a person with a tiktok that lived in California but now lives in Iowa. They got a good deal of views on their Tiktok video so Yahoo! ran with a story that someone got views on the internet. A poster that posts on an off-topic Iowa sports (who is an FSU fan) forum decided that this was shareable content, they live in Houston (I believe) and were once betrayed by Eric Church who wanted to watch a basketball game instead of singing terrible songs to people in Texas.

I'm going to go find something better to do with my life today. Maybe take some meth.
I'm sure you can find some on the way to the Lion's Den

• Love
Reactions: Moral

Some ground breaking stuff here.

• For one, she says she loves the seemingly shorter lines at department and grocery stores. Bishop believes the difference is largely due to population density. - - Gee, ya think!?
  • Bishop goes on to say that population also plays a role in the stereotype that Midwesterners are so nice. - - Clearly she doesn't post on HROT :cool:
  • “And because the [employees] aren’t overworked … the workers are in a better mood.” - - Is this true?
Link to Video:
Grew up in a tiny town in Iowa, lived in Iowa City for 4 years, San Diego 4 years. LA for one year and San Antonio for 4 years.

The places I've lived are not "nicer" than the others in any meaningful way. Yes, the smaller the place, the more likely people are to say hi, smile and engage in small talk. But, when you actually get to know people, I haven't noticed a difference anywhere I've lived.

As a west coast transplant that called Iowa home for approx 10 years... it is quite a shock. But it is more about change of pace related to time. She brings up the lines... but its not just at the grocery store... its in your car or just about any where else. The busiest of traffic one can expect in Iowa City is game day Saturday, and even then, with a little know how, one can be in and out of Uni Heights rather quickly. Those California folk have to build time into their day(everyday) to account for the minutes lost sitting in traffic. I firmly believe its why the state is wound as tight as it is., and midwesterners, are generally happier. They havent thrown away hours stressing about traffic and how they are going to make up time.

You're either a nice person or you're not. What does, where you live, have to do with that?

Reactions: goldmom

Some ground breaking stuff here.

• For one, she says she loves the seemingly shorter lines at department and grocery stores. Bishop believes the difference is largely due to population density. - - Gee, ya think!?
  • Bishop goes on to say that population also plays a role in the stereotype that Midwesterners are so nice. - - Clearly she doesn't post on HROT :cool:
  • “And because the [employees] aren’t overworked … the workers are in a better mood.” - - Is this true?
Link to Video:
Wait till she sees the buffet lines (and instant diabeetus) at a Pizza Ranch.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
This is so true. California is a damn nut house
No way in hell I would want to live out there and deal with those crazies, and traffic and earthquakes, 6.50 gas, crowds etc....no thanks.
Oh and wait til the mandatory water restrictions kick in...that's coming soon
I can't wait to see mile after mile of empty swimming pools.

• Wow
Reactions: The Tradition
Maybe some of you are the problem. Iowa's a pretty damn nice state compared to many others.

Compared to Nebraska, Kansas, Dakotas, Oklahoma and some of the SEC footprint? Absolutely.

I think Iowa nice is a real thing. I think people might be confusing stranger’s interactions in Iowa, and people from Iowa. My wife is born and raised in Florida. First thing she noticed when we visited first time was “oh my gosh, everyone is so nice!”, as in, my friends. People from Iowa I feel are “less fake” than from other places. It’s probably really more of a midwest thing.

I was out in LA for business in my 20s and had lunch at Hooters. Was talking up the waitress who mentioned she was from Iowa. Told her where I was from and was looking at jobs out there. She proceeded to tell me to not do that because everyone out there was so superficial. Great insight from the waitress working at Hooters, a franchise known for its high quality...food.

An guy I knew that lived out there said there was about a ten minute window in the mornings that if he missed, he'd add well over an hour to his commute. No thanks.

I don’t particularly think Iowans are nicer though. I’d say they are fake nice. They won’t be rude to you but many aren’t very genuine in their communication.
I’ve found that Midwest drivers are straight up dicks. When I lived in LA, it was expected that you let people in. What’s the difference between a 55 minute commute and a 55 minute and 8 seconds commute? Here people drive like every tenth of a second counts.

A common thing in LA was meeting people at parties, getting along famously with them, making plans to get together, and then never hearing from them again. Like that happened all the time. My wife and I would spend an entire night hanging with a couple we met out and about and exchange contact info and never think to call them, nor would they ever call us. Our close friends that lived out there before us said that’s an extremely common thing. I never really met any straight up a-holes out there like we have here. The fake nice was real though, and it’s crazy how quickly we became fake to other people.

A common thing in LA was meeting people at parties, getting along famously with them, making plans to get together, and then never hearing from them again. Like that happened all the time. My wife and I would spend an entire night hanging with a couple we met out and about and exchange contact info and never think to call them, nor would they ever call us. Our close friends that lived out there before us said that’s an extremely common thing. I never really met any straight up a-holes out there like we have here. The fake nice was real though, and it’s crazy how quickly we became fake to other people.

That's how South Florida is, too.

We wondered, "Did we do something to piss them off? Everything seemed to go just fine."

Eventually, we decided that not trying to befriend people was the best strategy, because people suck.

That's how South Florida is, too.

We wondered, "Did we do something to piss them off? Everything seemed to go just fine."

Eventually, we decided that not trying to befriend people was the best strategy, because people suck.
I just got used to having as much fun with people when I was around them as possible. And if they didn’t like something I said, who cares? Not like I’d ever see them again! That’s a perk of 20,000,000 people all crammed in the same metro area.

Iowa nice is very similar to most of the country once you get outside of the huge cities. Like any rural areas though if your grandparents didn't grow up there you are new. And always will be new. New England your family needs to have been on the mayflower to not be new or you need to have had family there long enough that no one can actually check if you claim it.

Iowa nice is rural nice.

Years ago, I was at my great aunts funeral at some church just outside of Kalona. My aunts friend, with a look of disgust, says to me after I state I'm visiting from NY, "I don't like NY. I don't know how anyone could live there." Then goes on to tell me all the superficial reasons why. Iowa nice. I would never walk up to her and tell her she lives in a podunk town that smells like pig shit depending upon the wind direction.
She only gets it with wind direction? Fancy...

• Haha
Reactions: SI_NYC
California is all the way out there by itself. Those folks are truly almost an island to themselves.
Seriously...would the rest of us cheerfully pay freaking $6.50 a gallon for gas? Accept meekly the rolling brownouts? Settle for a paycheck that’s been whittled down to less than half of what we earned? Sit on a freeway for two plus hours a day?
They generally have no real idea about how life is east of Death Valley.
And yes, I have lived there.
LMFAO

Bless your heart.

I just had some Californians move into the neighborhood. Mid 40s, 8 kids. The parents are both in ssi, no teeth, sit and smoke all day on the porch. Said they made some money selling their home in Cali, bought a nicer house here. Honestly ruining the vibe in the neighborhood . They cus at their litter of kids all the time, they have a hummer, Ram, F350 all parked in the street. The house across from them is the nicest in town, I’m he’s pissed. Anyway, screw the California red necks
Rural California rednecks will rival any other place’s rednecks for sure. Tip: Never, and I mean never stop to use a restroom in Garberville.

California is all the way out there by itself. Those folks are truly almost an island to themselves.
Seriously...would the rest of us cheerfully pay freaking $6.50 a gallon for gas? Accept meekly the rolling brownouts? Settle for a paycheck that’s been whittled down to less than half of what we earned? Sit on a freeway for two plus hours a day?
They generally have no real idea about how life is east of Death Valley.
And yes, I have lived there.
My quality of life in the Bay is probably better than 75% of Americans. You couldn’t pay me to live anywhere else. However, I think the one thing California needs to roll back is Prop 13. It has created a huge income gap.

I always understood the opposite 😊

The difference in employee attitudes is that businesses are able to hire college educated or kids who will go to college and most generally want to do a good job. At least that’s how it was when I grew up there.

I don’t particularly think Iowans are nicer though. I’d say they are fake nice. They won’t be rude to you but many aren’t very genuine in their communication.
Iowa Nice > other states being nice

• Haha
Reactions: SI_NYC
My quality of life in the Bay is probably better than 75% of Americans. You couldn’t pay me to live anywhere else. However, I think the one thing California needs to roll back is Prop 13. It has created a huge income gap.
For those who enjoy their area and their circumstances by all means go for it.

If anyone wants to pay me 600k and stock options at an established biotech, I'll move to Cali tomorrow. You can take that fake Iowa nice and shove it in the rec-tumms.
How about I take your money and stay in Iowa, and you can move to Cali anyway, as broke as the day you were born?....... :D

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT