ADVERTISEMENT

Woods named as a top recruiter

What is the Tory Taylor effect?

Levar has coached Kirsey, Hitchens at LB, Fant, Kittle, Hockenson at TE, Duncan and Taylor on ST, some of which became all-americans. His track record is superb.
the award is for top current cfb recruiter. so taylor popped into
mind as his most prominent find in recent years. duncan’s also pretty good.

It would be a mistake to ever let him leave. Great man. Hawkeye Alum. Knows football. Leader of men. Great recruiter. Great rep of the university.
I'd sure like to see him stick around.
It comes down to career progression. Will he keep moving up the ladder enough to be satisfied?

I think he was quite hurt he didn't get the title Wallace got. That was what I heard through the grapevine. I will say, I really really really hope he is our next HC. He would take the perception of IOWA and our recruiting to the next level.

I think he was quite hurt he didn't get the title Wallace got. That was what I heard through the grapevine. I will say, I really really really hope he is our next HC. He would take the perception of IOWA and our recruiting to the next level.
Agreed…would like to see Levar Woods replace KF, once he retires.

Wasn't it said that Wallace had some other schools pursuing him as well? Woods is deserving of any promotion in the near future, but what would be the next step for Woods he's the STC with a back ground of defense? Do you make the jump to HC from STC?

I think both Woods and Wallace have HC in their future.

Do you make the jump to HC from STC?

No. No you don't.

Almost all of the top coaches were either an OC or a DC before getting a HC position.

After a failed EXPERIMENT with Brian, some of you are morons wanting Woods as the next HC.

He needs to move up the ladder first and prove he can run an offense or a defense.

No. No you don't.

Almost all of the top coaches were either an OC or a DC before getting a HC position.

After a failed EXPERIMENT with Brian, some of you are morons wanting Woods as the next HC.

He needs to move up the ladder first and prove he can run an offense or a defense.
I feel he needs to move up the ladder and continue to show he's a special coach before jump into the a B10 HC role...maybe he replaces Phil if he's the right fit and we can hang on to him long enough...

I mean, that’s great and all. But, he’s got Iowa Slaw’s malpractice lawsuit for recruiting ineptitude pending…

To me, if we're looking internal for our next HC, it's got to be Seth Wallace. I know Phil gets most of the credit for the D (rightfully so), but our switch to the 4-2-5 was all Wallace. And since that move, we've been a consistent Top 10 defense. Wallace is also a damn good recruiter as well.

Reactions: jerbob36
To me, if we're looking internal for our next HC, it's got to be Seth Wallace. I know Phil gets most of the credit for the D (rightfully so), but our switch to the 4-2-5 was all Wallace. And since that move, we've been a consistent Top 10 defense. Wallace is also a damn good recruiter as well.

So why take Wallace away from the defense?

That makes zero sense.

As I just mentioned, Wallace needs to be the next DC.

So why take Wallace away from the defense?

That makes zero sense.

As I just mentioned, Wallace needs to be the next DC.
It makes zero sense to take a guy who means that much to the program and make him a head man? Most, if not all, college head coaches still typically focus on one area that is their specialty. Saban, for example, was still highly involved with DBs his entire HC tenure. Making Wallace HC guarantees to keep him in Iowa City and still allows him to focus heavily on the D. Win-Win in my book.

It makes zero sense to take a guy who means that much to the program and make him a head man? Most, if not all, college head coaches still typically focus on one area that is their specialty. Saban, for example, was still highly involved with DBs his entire HC tenure. Making Wallace HC guarantees to keep him in Iowa City and still allows him to focus heavily on the D. Win-Win in my book.
Also if hiring within the program, Wallace new title puts him on track for an opportunity at the HC. Promote Woods to DC when Phil retires and the defense is in good hands for the long term…..OC situation, I guess we’ll find out soon

What is the Tory Taylor effect?

Levar has coached Kirsey, Hitchens at LB, Fant, Kittle, Hockenson at TE, Duncan and Taylor on ST, some of which became all-americans. His track record is superb.
But did he recruit them?

But did he recruit them?
He recruited Duncan and Taylor. As for the others, I'm not sure if he was involved with their recruitment or not. Kirksey, Hockenson, Fant and Hitchens were all in areas LeVar has recruited, but I don't know how much if at all if he helped recruit those players.

Reactions: icwesthawk
I'm a fan of Woods. However, IMO the next DC will and should be Wallace.
Exactly right. As to the current pecking order, Wallace would be the next man in and is well thought of by the staff. We've been rock solid at LB during his time..

Exactly right. As to the current pecking order, Wallace would be the next man in and is well thought of by the staff. We've been rock solid at LB during his time..
So you like the idea of Wallace stepping in the DC position when the time comes but don't think it will go down that way?

So you like the idea of Wallace stepping in the DC position when the time comes but don't think it will go down that way?
Jees.. Read SI NYC post again. He said, "Wallace would make a great DC ", "under HC Woods". To that I said I don't think it will go down that way. With Wallaces current standing I don't believe that Woods will be elevated above him. Obviously that was my point.

I know. Iowa is still a little bit of a good old boys club.
Don't follow that line of thinking. There's a pecking order at all schools. To this point Woods, (whom we all love) has never been a coordinator. I believe that Wallace was elsewhere, and believe that his current title is Assoc HC. They did that for a reason.....

Jees.. Read SI NYC post again. He said, "Wallace would make a great DC ", "under HC Woods". To that I said I don't think it will go down that way. With Wallaces current standing I don't believe that Woods will be elevated above him. Obviously that was my point.
Yeah I got that, what threw me off was HawkMachine post say "Wallace should and WILL be the next DC" which seemed like you agreed with that's all no big deal.

Yeah I got that, what threw me off was HawkMachine post say "Wallace should and WILL be the next DC" which seemed like you agreed with that's all no big deal.
Thats certainly possible depending on how long PP sticks around. Obviously if Phil leaves with KF , say in 3 or 4 years I could see Wallace as HC and Woods as DC, if Beth decides to stay in house, and they are both still at Iowa. I just don't see a scenario where Woods jumps right to HC over Wallace.....If PP stays I could still see Wallace getting the nod, as I'm not sure PP even wants the CEO position even though he's earned a shot should he want it....

Not really shocked I guess, have you heard him in press conferences, his is smart, well spoken and pretty darn honest and upfront.

It won't go down that way....
Which is a shame because if it does go down that way there is going to be some player and staff turnover....as well as a perception that is going to be multiplied in a negative way when it comes to recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT