ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Baseball Call I’ve Seen in Years

Um…that is clear interference

Granted I was only taught about umpiring from major league umpires…but raising your hand like that…inadvertently or not…is interference
That's all well and good, except for the fact that the Big Ten Umpire Coordinator's bullshit postgame explanation never once mentioned the elevated hand. He said the rule requires the runner's ENTIRE BODY, including all extremities, to stay 100% inside the confines of the width of second base when sliding.

Of course he didn't bother to try to explain the physics of how a grown adult human male can keep every single molecule of their body no more than 18 inches wide while sliding after running full-speed.

For the record, the average male's shoulder width is 17-19 inches. So by definition, anyone who is at or above average is already guilty of interference on EVERY slide ever made in the history of baseball. Unless you think players should be able to effectively slide on their hip with their entire body completely perpendicular to the ground.

It's very similar to the "letter of the law" interpretation of the fair catch. If you read THAT rule, an invalid fair catch is ANY MOVEMENT OF THE ARMS by ANY PLAYER on the receiving team at any time during the play. Which basically means EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY PUNT RETURN IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL could be called dead for illegal fair catch....unless of course everyone on the receiving team runs like they're doing an Irish river dance.

This is one of those cases when rule technicality meets human physical reality, and someone still tries to defend rule technicality.

(Edited to note that actually, college baseball bases are 15" wide, though 18" bases can be used if 15" bases are not available...making the requirement all the more laughable)

GOSmuorXwAAFLca

Here’s the only thing I see in the video as a possibility. Runner has a sliding mitt on his right hand, yet it is that right hand that is up in the air for some reason. Ump may be thinking that if the hand up is natural sliding position, then why is the mitt in the hand that is up in the air rather than the one reaching for the base? May have decided the right hand up wasn’t the runner’s natural sliding position based upon that and called it interference.

Otherwise, the teenage umps in my daughter’s 10U softball league could have called it correctly.

It all started yesterday with a line drive down the third base line to the wall that was ruled foul vs Michigan late in the game that would have scored a run and put a player at second. They had no camera angle to over rule the foul ball call, which I don’t understand how you don’t have that available to you for disputed calls. The tv announcers even said there’s not a lot of room down there between the wall and the foul line so it was an unlucky landing of the ball for it to be called that way.

Regarding the slide, I don’t see it. I’d get my pound of flesh too with the call being that bad then confirmed, which it wasn’t. Let the game be decided on the field by the players, not the refs on the field.

Baseball continues everything it possibly can to take contact out of it

Check out the play 45 seconds into this one. We need to bring this back

It all started yesterday with a line drive down the third base line to the wall that was ruled foul vs Michigan late in the game that would have scored a run and put a player at second. They had no camera angle to over rule the foul ball call, which I don’t understand how you don’t have that available to you for disputed calls. The tv announcers even said there’s not a lot of room down there between the wall and the foul line so it was an unlucky landing of the ball for it to be called that way.

Regarding the slide, I don’t see it. I’d get my pound of flesh too with the call being that bad then confirmed, which it wasn’t. Let the game be decided on the field by the players, not the refs on the field.
B1G making billions, but the conference covers the playoffs like an 8th grade AV group.

Yeah, that was bad.

I can almost kind of understand getting the call wrong in real time. But they reviewed it. And after the review they didn’t just say the call on the field “stands” because there wasn’t suifficient video evidence to overturn the call. They went the extra mile of catastrophic stupidity and declared that the replay “confirmed” the call.

Is there some obscure moronic rule in college baseball like the runner’s hand can’t go above shoulder level as he slides, or some similar shit? Because otherwise there is no justification for that decision.
Oh. My. God. I actually found common ground with Whiskey and TJ…(looks outside to confirm sky is not falling)
As someone who played infield at the minor league level I have never been involved in an interference call that was that bad. Not even close. That was atrocious.
I mean, if that’s runner interference, then that could be called just about everytime.

There was an earlier play where Illinois runner slid into and knocked over Seegers making the throw. Based on this interpretation of that rule that should have been runner interference as well.

Reactions: TJ8869
If I recall correctly, Joyce was in tears the next day on the field & apologized for getting it wrong. Mistakes happen, at least he was man enough to admit his error. The umps & B1G reviewing & then doubling down on this call is mind-blowingly arrogant.

He was. Still think MLB should change that to a perfect game. Shouldn’t lose that because it happened before replay.

If I cared about baseball I’d probably be FURIOUS! But, alas, don’t care lol.

If I recall correctly, Joyce was in tears the next day on the field & apologized for getting it wrong. Mistakes happen, at least he was man enough to admit his error. The umps & B1G reviewing & then doubling down on this call is mind-blowingly arrogant.
Jim Joyce absolutely owned it and was probably the most liked umpire before and after it happened. It was an awesome display of sportsmanship when the ump and pitcher came together the next day. Really felt good about humanity for a couple of minutes.

Not even being a homer, I was absolutely stunned but this call.

Here was the situation:
Elimination game for conference tourney and Iowa is down 2 in extras. Iowa has bases jacked with 0 outs. Ump calls runners interference at 2nd which makes it a double play and sends the first two runners back to 2nd and 3rd so instead of down 1, with 1 out and runners on the corners, they were still down 2, with 2 outs. Except the runner slid straight at the bag and didn't touch the shortstop. Horrible.

That’s a ridiculous call. Holy crap!!

if b1g wants to improve officiating (in any sport) at the least issue a statement acknowledging subpar officiating and a reprimand. otoh if b1g wants to establish diplomatic relations with the mob stay the course.

I guess Iowa has to take it in the can in exchange for being in a power conference. I couldn't even say who the best baseball teams in the conference are, but does anyone think a call like that would be made against them? Nothing new under the sun.

Iowa baseball interference call explanation​

Here's the explanation of the Iowa baseball interference call, according to a pool report response from umpire coordinator Mark Uhl:

"There are three elements to what's called the force play slide rule and it's rule 8-4, it's on pages 77 and 78 of the NCAA Rule Book," Uhl told On3's Kyle Huesmann, the on-site pool reporter. "The two requirements which were applicable to this play, as the rule says it's a force play, the runner must slide in a direct line between the two bases. The rule then goes on to define directly into a base means the runner's entire body, feet, legs, trunk and arms must stay in a straight line between the bases. His legs, trunk and arms were not in a straight line between the bases, so the original call was interference.

"This is a reviewable play under NCAA rules. The umpiring crew went to video review. Once in a review room they confirmed the call because the video showed one, the runner did not slide in a direct line between the two bases and the runner's entire body was not in a straight line between the two bases."

Here's the explanation of the Iowa baseball interference call, according to a pool report response from umpire coordinator Mark Uhl:

"There are three elements to what's called the force play slide rule and it's rule 8-4, it's on pages 77 and 78 of the NCAA Rule Book," Uhl told On3's Kyle Huesmann, the on-site pool reporter. "The two requirements which were applicable to this play, as the rule says it's a force play, the runner must slide in a direct line between the two bases. The rule then goes on to define directly into a base means the runner's entire body, feet, legs, trunk and arms must stay in a straight line between the bases. His legs, trunk and arms were not in a straight line between the bases, so the original call was interference.

"This is a reviewable play under NCAA rules. The umpiring crew went to video review. Once in a review room they confirmed the call because the video showed one, the runner did not slide in a direct line between the two bases and the runner's entire body was not in a straight line between the two bases."

That explanation is almost as bad as the call. If he didn’t slide in a direct line to second base then how the fvck did he end up sitting on top of second base at the end of the slide?

Once in a review room they confirmed the call because the video showed one, the runner did not slide in a direct line between the two bases and the runner's entire body was not in a straight line between the two bases."

He slid into the bag. I don’t know how he slides differently to avoid that call. I’d love them to post the video that they claim shows he didn’t slide in a straight line.

That explanation is almost as bad as the call. If he didn’t slide in a direct line to second base then how the fvck did he end up sitting on top of second base at the end of the slide?
Even the big ten network pointed out the absurdity of that explanation - the base is only 15” wide, no player could fit their entire body inside the base path; so no having any part of the body go outside that is impossible.

I could have been accepting if they’d tried to argue the runner made contact with the SS, but this defense is almost as bad as the invalid fair catch explanation.

Even the big ten network pointed out the absurdity of that explanation - the base is only 15” wide, no player could fit their entire body inside the base path; so no having any part of the body go outside that is impossible.

I could have been accepting if they’d tried to argue the runner made contact with the SS, but this defense is almost as bad as the invalid fair catch explanation.
I’m honestly at a loss to understand what they think Huckstorf should have done different. He clearly slid in a direct line to second base and did not deviate from that line at all. He did not make contact with the fielder. He did not attempt to obstruct the fielder’s vision or throwing lane. He did not overslide the base and his slide was not late in terms of either time or distance.

If what he did was illegal then I’m not sure it’s even possible to slide legally in that situation. I would love to see a video demonstration of what they would consider a legal slide.

I’m honestly at a loss to understand what they think Huckstorf should have done different. He clearly slid in a direct line to second base and did not deviate from that line at all. He did not make contact with the fielder. He did not attempt to obstruct the fielder’s vision or throwing lane. He did not overslide the base and his slide was not late in terms of either time or distance.

If what he did was illegal then I’m not sure it’s even possible to slide legally in that situation. I would love to see a video demonstration of what they would consider a legal slide.
You forgot to mention that there's a good chance that he wasn't even out since the defender may have taken his foot off the bag before he caught the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT