ADVERTISEMENT

Would you be afraid to drive through rural Mississippi?

Would you be afraid to drive through rural Mississippi?

• Total voters
I have. No big deal. I also volunteer in inner city Chicago.

Then again I grew up in Fort Dodge. That hellscape will make anyone immune to OPs concerns.

giphy.gif

We have done so twice in the past 4 years. They have a very good road system that is pretty much deserted so it is great for road vacations. We also didn't have any problems stopping at a couple nature sites away from the cities. (My wife is a birder.)

Recently did. Some tough areas, similar to some western Iowa areas. Plus pron is blocked, based on what a friend told me.

Reactions: pink shizzle
I drive through rural Miss-Ioway all the time. Biggest concern is getting hit by a center line crossing boomer looking at his jitterbug after getting all riled up about trans and CRT by the old boys at the Casey’s morning coffee club.

Mississippi is a beautiful state.

Reactions: Hawki97
I was on a work project near Hattiesburg and the surrounding rural area a few years ago. I found Mississippi to be beautiful. Especially in the Delta. It was neat also to see where blues music was essentially born, as I’m a fan of the genre. As far as being afraid to be there, I can’t say that I was.

Drove through it on the way to Gulf Shores last summer. No issues other than a few of the gas station bathrooms were a little sketch
I try to fill up in Tennessee as the quality of the amenities offered by Mississippi roadside gas stations is poor. The convenience store concept does not appear to have caught on yet.

Reactions: NI hawk
I try to fill up in Tennessee as the quality of the amenities offered by Mississippi roadside gas stations is poor. The convenience store concept does not appear to have caught on yet.
I think you mean "fillin' stations"

Probably not, but I'm a straight white male with nothing distinctively identifying me as not being in the Trump cult. I mean I guess I don't drive in a pickup truck but I would probably get a pass with 3 kids and a wife in a minivan.

If I was black yes, if I was gay, yes, if I had anything that clearly identified me as not worshipping Orange Jesus than yes.

On a trip to New Orleans a couple of years ago, my brother and I were searching for the gravesites of an aunt and uncle who lived most of their lives in the Midwest. Our uncle was originally from Mississippi and had decided to return home after his death. We probably traveled for 50-60 miles through rural southern Mississippi and we were able to locate the cemetery, probably a 2-3 acre plot of ground adjacent to a small rural church. What I found different, and I guess it shouldn't have been, was how many small confederate flags that were scattered around the cemetery honoring the dead. This trip was about 6 weeks after Memorial Day so there were still a lot of flags on display.

Reactions: Ree4 and h-hawk
On a trip to New Orleans a couple of years ago, my brother and I were searching for the gravesites of an aunt and uncle who lived most of their lives in the Midwest. Our uncle was originally from Mississippi and had decided to return home after his death. We probably traveled for 50-60 miles through rural southern Mississippi and we were able to locate the cemetery, probably a 2-3 acre plot of ground adjacent to a small rural church. What I found different, and I guess it shouldn't have been, was how many small confederate flags that were scattered around the cemetery honoring the dead. This trip was about 6 weeks after Memorial Day so there were still a lot of flags on display.

I moved to a Texas in 1978 and I was struck by how much the Civil War was still on people’s minds down there. I naively thought the whole country had been over it for decades. I was also struck by how many people would refer to me as a “Yankee” unironically, and with genuine disdain. I had absolutely no idea.

Last edited:
I moved to a Texas in 1978 and I was struck by how much the Civil War was still on people’s minds down there. I naively thought the whole country had been over it for decades. I was also struck by how many people would refer to be as a “Yankee” unironically, and with genuine disdain. I had absolutely no idea.
They have memories like an elephant.

So Camp Shelby is just outside of Hattiesburg.

Driven from Gulfport to Hattiesburg numerous times, from NOLA to Hattiesburg a couple of times and even from Memphis to Oxford to Hattiesburg once. Plus all of the return trips.

So no, not worried at all.

Southern/Central MI, north FL, southern GA, and northern KY are all much worse. As is most of the stretch between the MO river and the Rockies.

There are very few places in the US I wouldn’t go, and none of them are rural. This is an idiotic question and you should feel embarrassed for asking it.

There isn’t any place in America I absolutely wouldn’t go.

I helped my sister move to East Lansing back in the day and took Amtrak home. Had a layover in Chicago, and had really never been in Chicago before so I thought I’d take a look around.

The Amtrak station is on the south side, and it’s really not a particularly nice place even for south side Chicago, and guess what? It was completely fine and everybody was perfectly nice to me.

So Camp Shelby is just outside of Hattiesburg.

Driven from Gulfport to Hattiesburg numerous times, from NOLA to Hattiesburg a couple of times and even from Memphis to Oxford to Hattiesburg once. Plus all of the return trips.

So no, not worried at all.

Southern/Central MI, north FL, southern GA, and northern KY are all much worse. As is most of the stretch between the MO river and the Rockies.

Southern/Central Michigan???

I live in the Northern part of Indiana 5 miles from the IN/MI border so I'm fairly familiar with southern Michigan. What's wrong with southern Michigan?

I tend to agree with other people that say there isn't a place in the US I wouldn't go. Although that would be dependent on time of day.

Rural south is pretty violent, though.

xl23t365qub41.png

I'm not sure why anyone would be afraid to drive through rural Mississippi. Is there some reason to be afraid? I've been to Scott, MS many times, driving from Pensacola and Memphis. I feel way safer there than Slidell, LA to NOLA.

Southern/Central Michigan???

I live in the Northern part of Indiana 5 miles from the IN/MI border so I'm fairly familiar with southern Michigan. What's wrong with southern Michigan?

The Battle Ceek/Kalamazoo area is just...weird. From there up to Grayling is weirder. The people I know there being militia types doesn't help with that.

The Battle Ceek/Kalamazoo area is just...weird. From there up to Grayling is weirder. The people I know there being militia types doesn't help with that.

To be fair I think I've only been to Kalamazoo once.

By Southern Michigan I'm thinking like Benton Harbor and south of it.

Probably not, but I'm a straight white male with nothing distinctively identifying me as not being in the Trump cult. I mean I guess I don't drive in a pickup truck but I would probably get a pass with 3 kids and a wife in a minivan.

If I was black yes, if I was gay, yes, if I had anything that clearly identified me as not worshipping Orange Jesus than yes.
If you were black? Mississippi has the largest black population in the US. Why should they be afraid? It's not the 50s or 60s anymore. If you were gay? This is a liberal attitude/belief that really needs to be corrected.

If you were black? Mississippi has the largest black population in the US. Why should they be afraid? It's not the 50s or 60s anymore. If you were gay? This is a liberal attitude/belief that really needs to be corrected.

And yet white conservatives clearly run that state. They only changed their state flag to not look like the confederate flag 4 years ago.

I spent some time in Meridian, MS when I was in the Navy, not a bad small town.
I just stopped at a Starbucks in Meridian and put gas in.
Thought about visiting cemetery where Paul Davis is buried.
Also went through Philadelphia, Mississippi. Home of Marcus Dupree.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Drove through it on the way to Gulf Shores last summer. No issues other than a few of the gas station bathrooms were a little sketch
I also went to Gulf Shores. Dollar Generals everywhere in Mississippi

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT