ADVERTISEMENT

Would you like to buy a lighthouse?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
The US has another 12 up for sale, or to be given away.
They are usually in remote locations, and have few amenities. Some don't have running water, such as the one that sits at the entrance to the channel that passes under Duluth's lift bridge. Still, some are being repurposed into homes and rentals. I'd do a night or two in a B & B at a nice location.

https://apnews.com/article/lighthou...-coast-guard-7d6c66717a14d9488520a90f07b96f46

Reactions: BelemNole
This year, GSA has issued NOAs for six historic lighthouses in five states.

Lynde Point Lighthouse, Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
Nobska Lighthouse, Falmouth (Woods Hole), Massachusetts.
Plymouth/Gurnet Lighthouse, Plymouth, Massachusetts.
Warwick Neck Light, Warwick, Rhode Island.
Little Mark Island and Monument, Harpswell, Maine.
Erie Harbor North Pier Lighthouse, Erie, Pennsylvania. (NOA period recently closed.)

Additionally, GSA is offering four historic lighthouses for sale by auction.

Penfield Reef Lighthouse, Fairfield, Connecticut.
Stratford Shoal Light, East Setauket, New York.
Cleveland Harbor West Pierhead Light, Cleveland, Ohio.
Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light, Chassell, Michigan.

A buddy went to far northern Scotland several years for a month or so. They rented a former lighthouse in a really remote stretch. Bob would drive down to the docks daily for fresh fish.
He talked about basically non stop winds and a stark, desolate landscape. There was a wheel barrow outside and visitors were encouraged to haul rocks out to the cliff and send them down to the sea. During big storms, the waves would rip rocks off of the cliff and hurl them against the base of the lighthouse.
Bob had to stop his trips there as Parkinson’s began to limit his strength.
I could spend time there.

Id love to. The lamps in those towers are impressive and would be cool to own. I spent a week at the lighthouse on Tatoosh Island (tip of Washington) doing maintenance when I was in the Coast Guard. Would love to visit again.

zRAPIDg.jpg

I'd take the Duluth one a nanosecond. I wonder what restrictions there would be on what you can do with these as I'm sure they are all on the national registry. A lot of money could be made with enough investment to fix them up.

oh, yeah, did I mention I love Duluth.

They are usually in remote locations, and have few amenities. Some don't have running water, such as the one that sits at the entrance to the channel that passes under Duluth's lift bridge. Still, some are being repurposed into homes and rentals. I'd do a night or two in a B & B at a nice location.

https://apnews.com/article/lighthou...-coast-guard-7d6c66717a14d9488520a90f07b96f46
yes. only if it's haunted tho. I don't want to be too lonely out there.

Reactions: lucas80
I heard the best two days of owning a light house is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Truer words were never uttered. You wouldn't believe the cost of those bulb replacements and they're always going out on the foggiest night of the year.

Reactions: millah_22

This year, GSA has issued NOAs for six historic lighthouses in five states.

Lynde Point Lighthouse, Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
Nobska Lighthouse, Falmouth (Woods Hole), Massachusetts.
Plymouth/Gurnet Lighthouse, Plymouth, Massachusetts.
Warwick Neck Light, Warwick, Rhode Island.
Little Mark Island and Monument, Harpswell, Maine.
Erie Harbor North Pier Lighthouse, Erie, Pennsylvania. (NOA period recently closed.)

Additionally, GSA is offering four historic lighthouses for sale by auction.

Penfield Reef Lighthouse, Fairfield, Connecticut.
Stratford Shoal Light, East Setauket, New York.
Cleveland Harbor West Pierhead Light, Cleveland, Ohio.
Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light, Chassell, Michigan.
Why are we privatizing these properties?

We stayed in this Michigan UP lighthouse B & B about 10 years ago. It was ...interesting...

I wonder if it's under different ownership. I do remember the reason it was built in 1919 was that Lake Superior was only 10 feet deep or so 2 miles out into the lake. Summer wildfires in Canada would sometimes obscure the landmarks and the US decided to built the lighthouse after numerous wrecks...

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT