ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rather...

Would you rather have your kid

• Total voters

MN Hawk Fan

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2012
Sunday afternoon boredom question. My son wrestles at a NAIA school and we are very pleased with how it’s going. Just wondering what other wrestling fanatic parents thought about their kid wrestling in college if they are not D1 starter material. No underlying reason here, just a simple question. Keep it respectful please, the majority of wrestlers are not D1 starter talent

This is a question I was struggling with on a different thread about theNAIA championships. I do not know the answer. My son is very academically focused as well as a pretty good wrestler. If he was not going to start D1 but felt he was a part of a good team and contributed, then I would be happy with him being a room guy. The biggest thing I worry about is staying healthy.
If he could get the degree he wanted then D2 or D3 or whatever would be fine with me. He is very bright and I am pretty sure he would be able to get into Stanford or Northwestern or U of Illinois without any athletic help.

I’m no parent but I can tell you I would rather see my boy do what he wants to do. This isn’t my dream it’s his.
It's all fun and games until someone needs a large check with your name on it.

His dream starts at your wallet, then reality sets in. Same as your parents
( unless you're a Buffet or a Gates, etc.). That's the real world.

Depends on his education desires first. But personally I’d rather being wrestling against competition vs being a takedown body for 4-5 years. A year or two might not be that bad...but pushing it to the end is something else.

I applaud anyone that can participate in sports (4+yrs) and graduate college. That is a great achievement in of itself.

Depending on the NAIA or other division school he wrestles for I would prefer my son get out on the mat! The top level smaller schools put themselves in opportunites to wrestle the D1 schools, which is always exciting when your smaller school kid takes out a D1 starter!

Reactions: lookleft goright
Depends on his education desires first. But personally I’d rather being wrestling against competition vs being a takedown body for 4-5 years. A year or two might not be that bad...but pushing it to the end is something else.

I applaud anyone that can participate in sports (4+yrs) and graduate college. That is a great achievement in of itself.
The classes offered at the different institutions certainly come into play, but being at a DI school gives you a different perspective having large Football stadiums and Basketball venues if you want to be a part of that. And typically the larger student body, which may not appeal to everyone.

Certainly the kids want to compete as well, and their parents and Family and friends want to follow them. You can do that in Opens at DI, but if you're on the periphery talent wise, that's about it.

I don't think there is a wrong answer. Clearly some go DI that realistically aren't going to see the big stage, and they ride that all the way. Others try it and transfer out so they can compete. You see plenty of both.

Either option beats the hell out of entering the real world for a few years. :D

I wrestled JUCO before transferring to D1. In my experience, the top programs in the lower divisions can be every bit as tough wrestling wise as the bottom half of D1 programs.

When I was leaving JUCO I had the option of 3-4 D1s and some D2s. The deciding factor to me was the ability to see where I stacked up against the best competition. If I’d have gone on to win a D2 championship or 2, I think it would have been pretty unfulfilling not knowing how I could have done at D1.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I wrestled DIII at Cornell College and was a three year starter, it was a great experience. I got to compete against several DI and DII programs, I won a few and lost a few. Got to wrestle former ISU hwt AAs Wayne Cole and Darryl Peterson as well as tOSU and Michigan. Back in the mid 80's DIII and DII national champs had the opportunity to compete at DI nationals until they stopped around 1990. Wayne Cole taught me, for the minute I lasted, that I was not an elite level guy but losing close matches to AA Darryl Peterson (4-3) and Michigan AA Kirk Trost (5-3) showed me I could compete with DI guys.

When I went to college, I was recruited by several D3 schools and could have done decent at a non D1 college. Instead, I chose the D1 route. Not for wrestling reasons but that is where i wanted to go academically. I did know that I would be a room guy for most of my career if not all, but I loved wrestling so I wrestled anyway. After a year, my priorities changed. Academics, a girlfriend (no pics), and friends became more important and all three would have suffered at least some if i kept wrestling. So I stopped after 1 year.
From a wrestling perspective, I beat several guys that ended up D3 champs, but i still dont regret the decision. If i went to a college that was not a good fit and ended up making the same decision to stop wrestling, I absolutely would have regretted it.
I suppose if I had a legit shot to win a D1 title, I may have looked at things differently but that wasnt the case.
Similarly if a non D1 school was close to the best choice academically then wrestling might have broken the tie. Depends on what field you are going into. I just knew there was going to be more in life past 22.
To each their own, but you have to at least think "what if my priorities change" after you get to wherever.

Was confronted with a similar situation just recently. My son is a senior in high school and is a good football player. 2X all conference right tackle, 6'4", 250. 1400 SAT. Good student, outstanding young man, eminently coachable. Upon graduation from college, wants to be commissioned as a USMC officer.

He could perhaps walk on at a D1 school if he wanted to. And if that's what he wants, I'm OK with it. My input - you may not ever play, but if you love to play and want to be part of a big program then go ahead and walk on. Of course you may not be asked to join the team.

On the other hand, he's a good student with decent SATs. He could play at a DIII team such as Washington University, Case Western, U of Chicago, etc. These schools are fairly selective and he might be on the bubble as a student only. However, I believe football would tilt the scales in his direction. Most unfortunately, his mother (my ex) will not encourage anything I propose no matter how valid, how rational or how well-reasoned.

She once told me that before she could determine which university was better between Harvard and Slippery Rock, she would "have to see the data". Slippery Rock has an acceptance rate of 95%+.

The bottom line is that I want him to do what he wants to do. One of my roles as a father is to give him the best advice possible, but the choice is his to make.

I could write a book about this, but I'll try not to.

First, as Tony Hawk says, it would be his (their) decision. I've always let my kids make their informed decisions after my input, but the final decision (once they showed the maturity to decide) was always theirs, even if I disagreed with it. You have to let them make and learn from, their own mistakes.

That being said, my two sons would have received very different guidance from me on this subject.

My older son would never have stuck with it for a whole college career wrestling just opens. He spent most of his HS career wrestling behind several State Champions that he was right there with, but couldn't overcome the "boys club" of kids at a HS where he was a relative late-comer (first year wrestling was 8th grade, was an elite-caliber swimmer) with a bunch that had been wrestling together since kindergarten. I don't think he could have waited in the wings again in college. Not his personality to play second-fiddle to anyone. He also played that role on two State Championship wrestling teams but would have been a contributor to a State Runner-up swim team that likely would have been a State Champion swim team with him. He was a part of many Championship teams in several sports and was always a major contributor except in wrestling.

My younger son would enjoy being a part of a great team. Almost every team he ever competed on in any sport was a losing team, and if he contributed behind-the-scenes to a winning team would probably be enough for him, maybe even at the lower levels. He loves competition, but being a part of a team gives him a lot of satisfaction as well. He's much more of a team-player.

All that being said, they both chose U of I because of their (initial) field of study, and neither wrestled there, although the younger was talked to about joining the club team, and considered it, but his class load and student org required too much of his time.

My own choice was easier because, in the 70s, the top DII and DIII guys (and maybe NAIA) qualified for DI NCAAs. Several DIII schools recruited me, as well as some CCs. I spoke with Gable a couple of times, but Iowa had a guy on varsity that had beaten me several times (all close matches) but that I had never beaten, in freestyle, and my grades were questionable for DI athletic clearinghouse. He suggested the CC route for a year or two to see how that went. Then the coach of a top DII team invited me to walk on there and see if I could earn some help for the next year, and that seemed like a no-brainer to me at the time.

Was confronted with a similar situation just recently. My son is a senior in high school and is a good football player. 2X all conference right tackle, 6'4", 250. 1400 SAT. Good student, outstanding young man, eminently coachable. Upon graduation from college, wants to be commissioned as a USMC officer.

He could perhaps walk on at a D1 school if he wanted to. And if that's what he wants, I'm OK with it. My input - you may not ever play, but if you love to play and want to be part of a big program then go ahead and walk on. Of course you may not be asked to join the team.

On the other hand, he's a good student with decent SATs. He could play at a DIII team such as Washington University, Case Western, U of Chicago, etc. These schools are fairly selective and he might be on the bubble as a student only. However, I believe football would tilt the scales in his direction. Most unfortunately, his mother (my ex) will not encourage anything I propose no matter how valid, how rational or how well-reasoned.

She once told me that before she could determine which university was better between Harvard and Slippery Rock, she would "have to see the data". Slippery Rock has an acceptance rate of 95%+.

The bottom line is that I want him to do what he wants to do. One of my roles as a father is to give him the best advice possible, but the choice is his to make.

WesternPA - Sounds like you have raised a fine young man.

If he is serious about the military (USMC in particular) he should strongly consider the Naval Academy. While he may have been the biggest kid on his HS team, 250 lbs is considered very small for a D1 OT. Dependent upon his body type and mobility he may be well suited for the Triple Option Flexbone offense utilized by both Navy and Army (Not sure about AF). Both Navy and Army target minimum 280+ for Centers and Guards and prefer them at 300+. If they see potential, Navy will encourage a year at NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School- Similar to a Red Shirt) in Newport, RI.

There are also many D2 and Ivy league schools with ROTC programs.

Good Luck!

Reactions: HawkTalk84
WesternPA - Sounds like you have raised a fine young man.

If he is serious about the military (USMC in particular) he should strongly consider the Naval Academy. While he may have been the biggest kid on his HS team, 250 lbs is considered very small for a D1 OT. Dependent upon his body type and mobility he may be well suited for the Triple Option Flexbone offense utilized by both Navy and Army (Not sure about AF). Both Navy and Army target minimum 280+ for Centers and Guards and prefer them at 300+. If they see potential, Navy will encourage a year at NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School- Similar to a Red Shirt) in Newport, RI.

There are also many D2 and Ivy league schools with ROTC programs.

Good Luck!
Hey Needanap - thanks for the note. And thank you for the compliment.

Regarding your advice, you are absolutely spot on!

FYI - he appears to be totally committed to

250 is small for a D1 OT, no doubt. But you've never seen the kid eat.....a steady diet of BBQ ribs, pierogies and Mineos Pizza (Pittsburgh PA) and he would be 295 in about 2 months.

Naval Academy would be choice #1. We are also aware of the Naval Prep School in Newport, RI - also a great choice . (Newport is also home to the New England Clam Chowder World Championship which is another route to packing on weight!!) And as you mentioned, NROTC scholarship is a great option too and is available at MIT, Yale, Carnegie Mellon, etc.

Thank you for your input.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Hey Needanap - thanks for the note. And thank you for the compliment.

Regarding your advice, you are absolutely spot on!

FYI - he appears to be totally committed to

250 is small for a D1 OT, no doubt. But you've never seen the kid eat.....a steady diet of BBQ ribs, pierogies and Mineos Pizza (Pittsburgh PA) and he would be 295 in about 2 months.

Naval Academy would be choice #1. We are also aware of the Naval Prep School in Newport, RI - also a great choice . (Newport is also home to the New England Clam Chowder World Championship which is another route to packing on weight!!) And as you mentioned, NROTC scholarship is a great option too and is available at MIT, Yale, Carnegie Mellon, etc.

Thank you for your input.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

I live in the Pittsburgh area, eastern suburbs.

My son went through that. He did visit one D1 school and the coach was a smooth as silk talker, but in the end he chose D3 because he kind of felt with D1 it was just too stressful - even at a crappy D1, which this one was.

Of course, he soon discovered college wrestling wasn’t nearly as fun as HS. In HS the box scores were in the paper, the other students knew how the team was doing, parents around town followed things and knew who he was. It felt important, and it made him feel lime a BMOC.

In D3 college there are no newspaper write ups or interviews, nobody on campus or in town cares - it’s all in a vacuum. Like playing football in an empty stadium. So he quit.

In the end, find the right school academically, because that’s why you’re going to college.

My son went through that. He did visit one D1 school and the coach was a smooth as silk talker, but in the end he chose D3 because he kind of felt with D1 it was just too stressful - even at a crappy D1, which this one was.

Of course, he soon discovered college wrestling wasn’t nearly as fun as HS. In HS the box scores were in the paper, the other students knew how the team was doing, parents around town followed things and knew who he was. It felt important, and it made him feel lime a BMOC.

In D3 college there are no newspaper write ups or interviews, nobody on campus or in town cares - it’s all in a vacuum. Like playing football in an empty stadium. So he quit.

In the end, find the right school academically, because that’s why you’re going to college.
Unless you're at Wartburg. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT