ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! Never seen so much whining.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Yes, Iowa got out hustled and out toughed.
Yes, the officials were terrible. When CJ Frederick gets shoved early in the game resulting in him clearly double dribbling, the ref can either call a foul or call a double dribble. Calling neither is an abdication of the job of officiating. They set the tome early. It did not favor either team specifically but it favored a style, which is aggressive, physical defense. By the way, the style that is the exact opposite of the "freedom of movement" that is claimed to be what they are officiating to.

So, if the officials are supposed to determine the rules of basketball on a game by game basis, they were fine. If they are supposed to have some consistency implementing the rules as dictated to them, they were terrible.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Yes, Iowa got out hustled and out toughed.
Yes, the officials were terrible. When CJ Frederick gets shoved early in the game resulting in him clearly double dribbling, the ref can either call a foul or call a double dribble. Calling neither is an abdication of the job of officiating. They set the tome early. It did not favor either team specifically but it favored a style, which is aggressive, physical defense. By the way, the style that is the exact opposite of the "freedom of movement" that is claimed to be what they are officiating to.

So, if the officials are supposed to determine the rules of basketball on a game by game basis, they were fine. If they are supposed to have some consistency implementing the rules as dictated to them, they were terrible.

do the Iowa fans realize that all 3 of Purdue’s bigs were in early foul trouble? do you realize Iowa was in the bonus with 12 minutes remaining in the 2nd half?
So, remind me again how the officials sucked?
Players have to adjust to how the game is being called. It’s no mystery that Purdue is really physical. If Iowa doesn’t match that and the refs are going to let it go, is that on Iowa or the officials? It’s certainly not on Purdue.

Reactions: papabeef
What does the "it" in "if the refs are going to let it go" mean?

But, I guess it does need to be one or the other.
Iowa was out hustled and out toughed and the refs had a great night. Kudos to them.

Off to work for me now, have a good day.

What does the "it" in "if the refs are going to let it go" mean?

But, I guess it does need to be one or the other.
Iowa was out hustled and out toughed and the refs had a great night. Kudos to them.

Off to work for me now, have a good day.

"It" means that this is a physical game. It's not soccer. You have to put a body on someone. You have to bump cutters. You have to fight through screens and physically disrupt what an offensive player is trying to do.
Purdue did that. Are you going to blame Painter and Purdue for being too physical?

do the Iowa fans realize that all 3 of Purdue’s bigs were in early foul trouble? do you realize Iowa was in the bonus with 12 minutes remaining in the 2nd half?
Players have to adjust to how the game is being called. It’s no mystery that Purdue is really physical. If Iowa doesn’t match that and the refs are going to let it go, is that on Iowa or the officials? It’s certainly not on Purdue.
You under the assumption that a physical team gets to play by their own rules? Foul is a foul. Call the game the same way they called the final 3 minutes and it’s a tight game. All of Purdue’s big men should have fouled out.

You under the assumption that a physical team gets to play by their own rules? Foul is a foul. Call the game the same way they called the final 3 minutes and it’s a tight game. All of Purdue’s big men should have fouled out.

Have you ever played pickup hoops? Did fouls occur? Do you call them every time?
Neither do refs in real games. Refs will usually reward hustle and hard play.
It's like in football. You could call a hold on an offensive lineman on basically every play if you wanted to.

Reactions: papabeef
Have you ever played pickup hoops? Did fouls occur? Do you call them every time?
Neither do refs in real games. Refs will usually reward hustle and hard play.
It's like in football. You could call a hold on an offensive lineman on basically every play if you wanted to.
Yes I expect a foul to be called a foul. Every damn play untill teams adjust and stop doing it. That’s the whole point of rules, to follow them.

Basketball has become a full contact sport.
That's not the way it was originally intended to be.
Guys get bloody noses,teeth knocked out.
That's not basketball. That's ghetto ball.
Jesus that's a little racist. How many hook and holds does Garza get away with every game? We'll never know because they are not called on him! Not to mention the chicken wing he uses constantly that is not called. Iowa is Charmin soft. and The defense still sucks. Then you got Fran.

Yes I expect a foul to be called a foul. Every damn play untill teams adjust and stop doing it. That’s the whole point of rules, to follow them.

Which is precisely why you have a bunch of fans crying about the officials when your team isn't interested in playing physical ball.

Which is precisely why you have a bunch of fans crying about the officials when your team isn't interested in playing physical ball.
Lenny, I only come over here when we play Iowa but they may whine more about refs over here than IU fans which is hard to do.

"It" means that this is a physical game. It's not soccer. You have to put a body on someone. You have to bump cutters. You have to fight through screens and physically disrupt what an offensive player is trying to do.
Purdue did that. Are you going to blame Painter and Purdue for being too physical?
Yep, that’s not how it’s supposed to b allowed to play out...if those “bumps” and pushes r called fouls, it’s a different game.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yep, that’s not how it’s supposed to b allowed to play out...if those “bumps” and pushes r called fouls, it’s a different game.
Lol - while Iowa is safely in the Big Dance, Purdon’t has more work to do:). Let they sink in Boiler fan.

Jesus that's a little racist. How many hook and holds does Garza get away with every game? We'll never know because they are not called on him! Not to mention the chicken wing he uses constantly that is not called. Iowa is Charmin soft. and The defense still sucks. Then you got Fran.
I did not say anything about Garza
Just basketball in general with the way it was designed to be played as to the way it has changed on the streets
or ghetto ball over the years & coached it's way into college ball. Basketball used to be a no contact sport, hence calling fouls when contact was made. Go back & watch a game in the 60's & 70's & see if there was all the pushing & shoving going on then & you will see the difference.

Reactions: hawkguy77
They don't call fouls for contact in tennis
Apples & oranges

hqdefault.jpg

I get that it feels like fouls are only going one way sometimes, but I can't think of a single game this season that we lost because of officiating. When Iowa lost, it's because Iowa lost.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
No.

Was following some of the comments during the game and I honestly can’t remember seeing more whining about the officiating in my life. I know that’s what fans do when their team is getting pummeled but good Lord, that was epic, next level bitching.
Iowa simply got out hustled and out toughed.
We're not whining. We're just explaining to people that the officials were inconsistent turds. :)

I did not say anything about Garza
Just basketball in general with the way it was designed to be played as to the way it has changed on the streets
or ghetto ball over the years & coached it's way into college ball. Basketball used to be a no contact sport, hence calling fouls when contact was made. Go back & watch a game in the 60's & 70's & see if there was all the pushing & shoving going on then & you will see the difference.

What do you mean by the term "ghetto ball"? What is that exactly?

per urban dictionary:

Ghetto ball

Basketball with no official rules, pushing, kicking, punching etc. Whatever it takes to prevent the other person to score. Usually played with 6-10 people.

Person A: Hey why'd you push me?

Person B: We ain't in the NBA boi, Dis Ghetto Ball whatever goes, goes.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yeah right, if Iowa played as physical as Purdue did the walkons would have been on the floor midway through the second half.

I've seen Iowa twice. I don't think you have the capability to play physical for a whole game.

Part of that has to do with only having 8 players. 3 of the top 10 are out for the year which has created a very thin bench. That's why Painter's physical game plan is a good one as he can afford to foul if called and if not, he can wear down Iowa which ultimately impacts 3 point shooting and will slow down Garza. Hats off to his game plan and Purdue.

Honestly, I'd be pissed if I was a Purdue fan. How can we blast MSU, Iowa twice and beat IU 2x's and be 16-14? You sure as hell can't blame Iowa fans for that!

Street ball, playground ball. just pushing & shoving up in your face. tough guy crap. get out of my way or i'll run over you ball instead of athletic moves to get space.
Not the way the game was designed to be played in the beginning.

per urban dictionary:

Ghetto ball

Basketball with no official rules, pushing, kicking, punching etc. Whatever it takes to prevent the other person to score. Usually played with 6-10 people.

Person A: Hey why'd you push me?

Person B: We ain't in the NBA boi, Dis Ghetto Ball whatever goes, goes.

Exactly !!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the complaining on this site about officiating is really embarrassing. I'm not sure how old alot of the posters on here are, but obviously they haven't followed big ten basketball for very long.

Was following some of the comments during the game and I honestly can’t remember seeing more whining about the officiating in my life. I know that’s what fans do when their team is getting pummeled but good Lord, that was epic, next level bitching.
Iowa simply got out hustled and out toughed.

Every year here my friend.

Yeah, the complaining on this site about officiating is really embarrassing. I'm not sure how old alot of the posters on here are, but obviously they haven't followed big ten basketball for very long.
Every year here my friend.

How many threads are there complaining about the officiating? Maybe one and that was started by a closet Husker fan.

How many threads are here complaining about Iowa fans complaining about the refs? At least two.

People complain about officiating during the game thread. Wow, I’m sure that’s unique to Iowa fans. Trolling another fan base’s message board is far more pathetic.

Part of that has to do with only having 8 players. 3 of the top 10 are out for the year which has created a very thin bench. That's why Painter's physical game plan is a good one as he can afford to foul if called and if not, he can wear down Iowa which ultimately impacts 3 point shooting and will slow down Garza. Hats off to his game plan and Purdue.

Honestly, I'd be pissed if I was a Purdue fan. How can we blast MSU, Iowa twice and beat IU 2x's and be 16-14? You sure as hell can't blame Iowa fans for that!
Hey I've got no complaints with Iowa fans. You're shorthanded and we're just learning play with young guys and role players after losing 2 senior leaders and Carsen Edwards. It's been a struggle at times getting it to come together but recruiting is promising. Painter has had them in the tournament 11 times in 15 seasons. It is a real long shot if that continues this year. Iowa has had a much better season and deserves it's spot in the sance. Good luck to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT