ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestlography 101 Class

Kent and Doug Streicher. Kent was a three time state champion in the mid 80’s, and I believe he finished his high school career 140-3. Doug won two state titles. Both of the Streicher’s wrestled at Iowa.

Charlie Falck, he moved to Minnesota around 8th grade but he’s another “hometown” guy.

Can someone help me out? My hometown is Sioux City, IA and I don't know where to begin. Robert Kellogg is probably the best to come out of Sioux City North. Micah Sheffield was in that same class at North and I think he has the most wins in city history.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Spencer (this is hard, probably missing somebody but I'll give it a shot)

Terry Cook (Nebraska)
Bob Koenig (UNI)
Blake Gillis (Wartburg/Freestyle)
Jess Hargrave (Army Greco)
Gabe Toft (Iowa State Football)

Honorable mention:

Mike Engleman (Mankato State?)
T.J. Mozena
Shayne Graff

Thought this list would be a little harder, but pretty clear cut and not as deep as I figured:
1. Jeff McGinness
2. Derek St. John
3. Nick Moore
4. Nate Moore
5 - I would put Gambrall or Carew here but Nelson Brands edged them in HS and is probably working his way up this list on the D1 side....if he stays on the attack.;)

Can someone help me out? My hometown is Sioux City, IA and I don't know where to begin. Robert Kellogg is probably the best to come out of Sioux City North. Micah Sheffield was in that same class at North and I think he has the most wins in city history.
Couple come to mind, struggling with the names, but there were some Twins that I believe both ended up at Iowa, and one of them did get a Varsity match or two. Ben and Bret Stedman. Believe they wrestled at Heelan.

And the kid who transferred to Apple Valley and was the #1 recruit and ended up at Nebraska-Kearney or something. Destin McCauley (sister ran track and went to Heelan but they had a S.D. address - suburb of Sioux City apparently)

Terry Cook (Nebraska)
Bob Koenig (UNI)

Honorable mention:

T.J. Mozena
Shayne Graff
Remember Taco (Tim Cauchlin- spelling)?? He wrestled at BV, till he got diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma

Jeremy Hunter
Nick Richmond
Jerry Seaman
Tommy Teagarten
Eric Pizzi

Hunter is well known. Richmond won a PIAA championship in '98 (?) and wrestled at North Carolina. Pizzi was a PIAA champ but didn't go further with his education/wrestling career. Seaman and Teagarten are old-timers who won PIAA championships. Don't know about their collegiate careers.

Terry Cook (Nebraska)
Bob Koenig (UNI)

Honorable mention:

T.J. Mozena
Shayne Graff

Terry Cook always wanted to fight when we were kids but we never got to wrestle. Lol

Couple come to mind, struggling with the names, but there were some Twins that I believe both ended up at Iowa, and one of them did get a Varsity match or two. Ben and Bret Stedman. Believe they wrestled at Heelan.

And the kid who transferred to Apple Valley and was the #1 recruit and ended up at Nebraska-Kearney or something. Destin McCauley (sister ran track and went to Heelan but they had a S.D. address - suburb of Sioux City apparently)
Steve Hartle was a 2-time AA for UNI in early 1990s.

Well, nobody else in this thread yet admits to growing up with the little Hellions, so Imma throw T&T’s hometown of Seldom into the mix...

Sure, but who rounds out the top 5? Ihnen in the "modern era" for sure. How many of the Buddens, Fischers, and Huffs make your list? Duncanson a sleeper?

Thought this list would be a little harder, but pretty clear cut and not as deep as I figured:
1. Jeff McGinness
2. Derek St. John
3. Nick Moore
4. Nate Moore
5 - I would put Gambrall or Carew here but Nelson Brands edged them in HS and is probably working his way up this list on the D1 side....if he stays on the attack.;)
Anson?

Sure, but who rounds out the top 5? Ihnen in the "modern era" for sure. How many of the Buddens, Fischers, and Huffs make your list? Duncanson a sleeper?

None else compare, imo. (And I consider the Buddens, DF and the Huff Bros friends.)

OK... I’ll play...

Spud Kamies would make that list. He went out and took on those Lakes Conference heavies before there was an upper weight limit. I forget the name of the family from Sibley but quality Circus back in the day concluded with Spud taking on a giant...

Greg Andringa was another favorite Orab to watch wrestle as a kid.

Last edited:
That great guy part is debatable, what year did you graduate from East?
1990. Only wrestled freshman year. JV at 98 pounds. Live in Virginia now and became a big wrestling fan about 4 years ago when I caught an Iowa wrestling meet on BTN while flipping channels. All other sports (other than my kids sports) have lost their meaning since. Love Iowa wrestling.

1990. Only wrestled freshman year. JV at 98 pounds. Live in Virginia now and became a big wrestling fan about 4 years ago when I caught an Iowa wrestling meet on BTN while flipping channels. All other sports (other than my kids sports) have lost their meaning since. Love Iowa wrestling.

Hey, Spifff... Do you know any of the guys from East who wrestled at your weight a decade before you?

My grandma went to a tourney in Sioux City once and apparently thought their light weight was me and had a conversation with the kid. I think our singlets were similarly orange and black? My mom said she thought he was me as well. Lol

Hey, Spifff... Do you know any of the guys from East who wrestled at your weight a decade before you?

My grandma went to a tourney in Sioux City once and apparently thought their light weight was me and had a conversation with the kid. I think our singlets were similarly orange and black? My mom said she thought he was me as well. Lol
That’s funny. I can’t help you though as I don’t know anyone that old.

Reactions: el dub
Doug Benschooter, (sp(football and wrestled at iowa)) Duane Clark (pan am games champ) Greenlee, Greenlee and pick a balweg or Thompson, with a few good ones coming up just now

Terry Cook always wanted to fight when we were kids but we never got to wrestle. Lol
He was "mean" when he wrestled, he wrestled hard and got after people. Tim Krieger from Mason City used to work out and travel to Tournaments quite a bit with Terry and Family when they were younger. I saw a lot of them. (anybody reporting in from Mason City I would put Tim Krieger in the Top 5 and probably #1 I suspect)

Last edited:
None else compare, imo. (And I consider the Buddens, DF and the Huff Bros friends.)

OK... I’ll play...

Spud Kamies would make that list. He went out and took on those Lakes Conference heavies before there was an upper weight limit. I forget the name of the family from Sibley but quality Circus back in the day concluded with Spud taking on a giant...

Greg Andringa was another favorite Orab to watch wrestle as a kid.
IIRC the family of "big boys" from Sibley were Dagel's.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT