ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestlography 101 Class

Can someone help me out? My hometown is Sioux City, IA and I don't know where to begin. Robert Kellogg is probably the best to come out of Sioux City North. Micah Sheffield was in that same class at North and I think he has the most wins in city history.
I would say the best was Joe Gormally, 3X AA for UNI, 2 were D2 (4th, 2nd) then finished 4th when they shifted D1. Andy Krueger was a 2x AA and D3 national champ at BV. Steve Hartle was a 2X AA at UNI, Andrew Anderson was a 4X NCAA qualifier for UNI. Keith Linden was a multiple time NCAA qualifier for Purdue. Kellogg wrestled for Northwestern and was a Fargo G/R champ. I would also add Colton McCrystal because Sergeant Bluff is Sioux City (aka Leeds south).

I would say the best was Joe Gormally, 3X AA for UNI, 2 were D2 (4th, 2nd) then finished 4th when they shifted D1. Andy Krueger was a 2x AA and D3 national champ at BV. Steve Hartle was a 2X AA at UNI, Andrew Anderson was a 4X NCAA qualifier for UNI. Keith Linden was a multiple time NCAA qualifier for Purdue. Kellogg wrestled for Northwestern and was a Fargo G/R champ. I would also add Colton McCrystal because Sergeant Bluff is Sioux City (aka Leeds south).

lol @ Leeds south...

Reactions: HawkeyeMass
He was "mean" when he wrestled, he wrestled hard and got after people. Tim Krieger from Mason City used to work out and travel to Tournaments quite a bit with Terry and Family when they were younger. I saw a lot of them. (anybody reporting in from Mason City I would put Tim Krieger in the Top 5 and probably #1 I suspect)

I remember a wrestling camp with some Mason City kids and Krieger sounds familiar. There seemed to be some brothers from Mason City of that era?

He was "mean" when he wrestled, he wrestled hard and got after people. Tim Krieger from Mason City used to work out and travel to Tournaments quite a bit with Terry and Family when they were younger. I saw a lot of them. (anybody reporting in from Mason City I would put Tim Krieger in the Top 5 and probably #1 I suspect)

I thought it was funny. Didn’t Terry have an older brother who was more reasonable? I think I remember hanging out with those guys a bit and Terry frothing at the mouth wanting a piece of me. Lol

IIRC the family of "big boys" from Sibley were Dagel's.

And let me remind you.... NOBODY left the gym early before the biggest of boys tangled on the mat, back in the day.... Those matchups were discussed before hand and eagerly anticipated by the entire community. Lol

I'd also add Tony DeAnda and Patrick Alibone to that list as well. DeAnda was a state champ for Heelan around 90 or 91 and was an AA at UNL I believe. Alibone was a finalist and 3x placer at Heelan and was a National Champ at UNO

Pretty cool responses, I've been following the guys that do the pin doctors and they got all kinds of old information and classic stuff on different wrestlers. They are a good follow on Twitter.

I would say the best was Joe Gormally, 3X AA for UNI, 2 were D2 (4th, 2nd) then finished 4th when they shifted D1. Andy Krueger was a 2x AA and D3 national champ at BV. Steve Hartle was a 2X AA at UNI, Andrew Anderson was a 4X NCAA qualifier for UNI. Keith Linden was a multiple time NCAA qualifier for Purdue. Kellogg wrestled for Northwestern and was a Fargo G/
Wait. What? I thought Joe Gormally was just some random dude that occasionally helped out with East High practices in 1987. Mind blown.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Rich Stillman
Jeff Kerber
Dan Kauffman
Pat Hamilton
Steve Hamilton
Jake Naig
Justin Kerber

Also
JD Naig, 1x HS 3x D2
Aaron Janssen

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Wait. What? I thought Joe Gormally was just some random dude that occasionally helped out with East High practices in 1987. Mind blown.
Ha Ha! No, Joe was a beast. Sioux City's very first state champ ('77). Kind of crazy to think the city did not have a state champ in wrestling until '77. Even crazier is he beat Jay Hilgenberg (All pro Chicago Bear) in the finals to become the first.

Well, nobody else in this thread yet admits to growing up with the little Hellions, so Imma throw T&T’s hometown of Seldom into the mix...

Well, I wasn't going to reply, but since you asked. Tom and Terry were clearly 1 and 2, after that it gets harder. Jeff Schwartz, Ed Huff and Steve Fox were all great heavyweights. Troy Budden is a friend and was great as well. I'm guessing you were typing super fast, Seldom doesn't translate to Sheldon very easily :cool:

Well, I wasn't going to reply, but since you asked. Tom and Terry were clearly 1 and 2, after that it gets harder. Jeff Schwartz, Ed Huff and Steve Fox were all great heavyweights. Troy Budden is a friend and was great as well. I'm guessing you were typing super fast, Seldom doesn't translate to Sheldon very easily :cool:

Jeff is a friend.

The Tremmel brothers got me started with Seldom. Lol it just.... fits.

In order of best college wrestler...
Waterloo Iowa’s best
5. Bill Dotson, Northern Iowa
4. Dale Anderson, Michigan State
3. Chuck Yagla, Iowa
2. Dan Gable, Iowa State
1. Lowell Lange, Cornel
Bill's son is the football coach at the high school I graduated from here in Albuquerque. Pretty solid wrestler himself, too. Won 4 state titles in NM, wrestled at Northern Iowa and New Mexico.

Eagle Grove. Gross. Haha

I have two hometowns in Iowa

Clarion: Glen Brand, Paul Bell, Josh Portillo, Russ Paulson, Les Anderson

Fort Dodge: Dale Brand, Bill Koll, Sherwyn Thorson, Joe Zuspann, Drake Ayala
Sherwyn Thorson...... had forgotten him. Amazing athlete and quite a character. My dad's neighbor for a number of years before 'ole Thumper died.

I remember a wrestling camp with some Mason City kids and Krieger sounds familiar. There seemed to be some brothers from Mason City of that era?
This Krieger was a 4 Time AA and 2 Time National Champion at Iowa State. First ever #1 seed all 4 years, went 5-1-2-1. Guy was a beast. I believe he had a brother that wrestled but don't recall for certain.

I thought it was funny. Didn’t Terry have an older brother who was more reasonable? I think I remember hanging out with those guys a bit and Terry frothing at the mouth wanting a piece of me. Lol
He has 2 older brothers and our Families have been friends for decades so I really don't want to get into anything other than that here.

Rich Stillman
Jeff Kerber
Dan Kauffman
Pat Hamilton
Steve Hamilton
Jake Naig
Justin Kerber

Also
JD Naig, 1x HS 3x D2
Aaron Janssen
I had the "honor" of getting beat by Rich Stillman when he was a Soph. and I was a freshman I believe (he won State that year and 3 total). He was the "original" Bull before Alex Marinelli came along in my opinion. Ha!

I thought he was DI caliber for sure, and I would be shocked if he wasn't being recruited by DI schools but he never went that route and was an Official for many years. Seemed like a super nice guy when he wasn't mauling you on a wrestling mat! Ha! Jeff Kerber too. They had quite the team in Eburg in those days.

Reactions: MVPFAN and el dub
I had the "honor" of getting beat by Rich Stillman when he was a Soph. and I was a freshman I believe (he won State that year and 3 total). He was the "original" Bull before Alex Marinelli came along in my opinion. Ha!

I thought he was DI caliber for sure, and I would be shocked if he wasn't being recruited by DI schools but he never went that route and was an Official for many years. Seemed like a super nice guy when he wasn't mauling you on a wrestling mat! Ha! Jeff Kerber too. They had quite the team in Eburg in those days.

I considered Jeff Kerber to be the best guy I ever saw wrestle in high school.

I considered Jeff Kerber to be the best guy I ever saw wrestle in high school.
Going by memory here but I think he was the first undefeated 4 Timer in Iowa (128-0 ?) and pinned his way thru his Senior year I believe.

I don't know what they did for rankings back then but he had to be WAY up there for a #1 overall recruit I would think. He went a lot of places as a kid and I suspect won everywhere he went in those days.

Am I missing something? would Lange be considered a better college wrestler than Gable?

Only if you are a historian of the sport.

Lange was injured in a car accident before the NCAA tournament and lost out on the chance to become the first 4 time NCAA champion.

He won titles as a freshman, junior and senior seasons. I believe his lone loss was when he moved up for a dual meet in Cedar Falls against another 3timer and all time great Bill Koll. A close loss it was...
Lange’s three titles are more than Gable’s, although Gable did have three state championships to Lange’s two.

I am a huge Gable fan, my parents were also at West at the same time.

just going on statistics

Only if you are a historian of the sport.

Lange was injured in a car accident before the NCAA tournament and lost out on the chance to become the first 4 time NCAA champion.

He won titles as a freshman, junior and senior seasons. I believe his lone loss was when he moved up for a dual meet in Cedar Falls against another 3timer and all time great Bill Koll. A close loss it was...
Lange’s three titles are more than Gable’s, although Gable did have three state championships to Lange’s two.

I am a huge Gable fan, my parents were also at West at the same time.

just going on statistics
Really good stuff I love to learn the history of the sport!

Sheldon
Tom Brands
Terry Brands
Josh Ihnen
After those 3 there's too many to choose from. Huff brothers, Buddens, Jeff Schwarz, Andrew Dighton I think has the most wins in school history but i don't think he ever won a state title.

Sheldon
2 crazy twins
Josh Ihnen
Troy Budden
Jeff Schwartz

Columbus, NE
Charlie Sheretz
Cory Schlesinger
Jay Sherer
Colton Wolfe

Centerville
Chad Zaputil
TJ Sebolt
Matt Lewis
Chase Zaputil
Justin Brown
Jason Halupnick
Mike England

Terry had older brothers Tim and Jim (Tim 2 yrs (3 grades) older, & Jim probably 5 or 6 yrs older). Both wrestled (as did Terry's little sister Christy), but none obviously at Terry's level.

Kevin Dresser
Jamie Heidt
Tony Ersland
Justin Hansen
Kevin Bratland
Didn't Humboldt have a really tough kid with 1 partially amputated leg? I want to say his first name was Wade, but might be way off. Does that ring a bell for anybody?

Jeremy Hunter
Nick Richmond
Jerry Seaman
Tommy Teagarten
Eric Pizzi

Hunter is well known. Richmond won a PIAA championship in '98 (?) and wrestled at North Carolina. Pizzi was a PIAA champ but didn't go further with his education/wrestling career. Seaman and Teagarten are old-timers who won PIAA championships. Don't know about their collegiate careers.
Pizzi wrestled at Central Missouri State. He was a teammate of mine.

Reactions: hawkeyeandy
Terry had older brothers Tim and Jim (Tim 2 yrs (3 grades) older, & Jim probably 5 or 6 yrs older). Both wrestled (as did Terry's little sister Christy), but none obviously at Terry's level.
I always wanted to wrestle Kathy growing up.

Miss Kay is a saint for putting up with Terry’s nonsense as a kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT