ADVERTISEMENT

Year end standings for all sports.

Sorry to say it, but I only really care about Football and Men's Basketball. We could have won Men's 4-Square and Women's Cup Stacking for all I know, and good for those student athletes, but I have no interest.

Football - 8th (tie goes to Purdue IMO)
Basketball - 13th (Tied with Illinois and Minn)

Not the best year. Thank god for the OSU and Bowl wins.

Ohio and MeatAgain get special free Hype and Pub from BTN and all the
lame media, really. But, Iowa should not be trailing Minnesota is a ranking like this. Although, do some of these schools get extra points for
Women's hockey ??? Come on, man.

When Bump Elliott was AD IIRC we had a LOT of our sports competing at the top levels. Hayden Fry in football, Dr Tom in hoops, Gable in wrestling were givens, but Women’s Field hockey was nationally ranked, Stringer took women’s basketball to the Final 4, Swimming was highly ranked, gymnastics was ranked, etc.

I can’t recall volleyball ever being good, but we still had more great programs than good and more good programs than bad.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Barta should be proud after all the years he has been here and he has us at eleventh. Without the latest expansion teams we'd be next to last. So it can and probably will get worse as long as he's in command. Give all those coaches life time contracts.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Here is what matters:
Tier 1:
Football
Basketball (Women and Men)
Volleyball
Baseball
Wrestling
Softball

Tier 2:
Track
Golf
Soccer?

Tier 3:
Gymnastics
Swimming
CC
Field Hockey
Rowing

If we weighted the tiers ( x3 for 1, x2 for 2, x1 for 3 and x.5 for rest) that would be a better representation IMO.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
When Bump Elliott was AD IIRC we had a LOT of our sports competing at the top levels. Hayden Fry in football, Dr Tom in hoops, Gable in wrestling were givens, but Women’s Field hockey was nationally ranked, Stringer took women’s basketball to the Final 4, Swimming was highly ranked, gymnastics was ranked, etc.

I can’t recall volleyball ever being good, but we still had more great programs than good and more good programs than bad.

Softball was pretty good as well. Barta seems to have really screwed the pooch with respect to the non-revenue sports. Not sure if he simply doesn't care about women's sports or what the underlying issue is.

It's really difficult to take these ratings seriously. Iowa participates in 21 sports,(10 men's and 11 women's). I didn't check them all but Ohio State for example participates in 37 sports and Michigan in 27. Not sure they all count in these totals but In Men''s lacrosse there are 6 teams in the league five from Big ten schools. Men'"s hockey has 7 teams in the league , six of which are from Big Ten schools. Men's soccer has 9 teams participating. Clean up in these and in women's sports and you too can be a tops on this list.

It's really difficult to take these ratings seriously. Iowa participates in 21 sports,(10 men's and 11 women's). I didn't check them all but Ohio State for example participates in 37 sports and Michigan in 27. Not sure they all count in these totals but In Men''s lacrosse there are 6 teams in the league five from Big ten schools. Men'"s hockey has 7 teams in the league , six of which are from Big Ten schools. Men's soccer has 9 teams participating. Clean up in these and in women's sports and you too can be a tops on this list.
Yes that is what's bad about the directors cup. If you participate in a ton of sports you will be ranked higher. That being said I hated when Iowa was last. But the best Iowa probably is going to get in these standings in maybe 8th in the B1G.

Huge disadvantage due to population base and scholarship calculation(many being 11.7) for iowa.

I suppose you have a valid point, but if you don't think Iowa's ranking on this list is a fairly accurate representation of the overall competitiveness of the Iowa Athletic Department compared to our B1G peers, then you're not paying attention. I'm surprised we're not lower. 2011 Outdoor Track & Field is the only B1G champ Iowa has had this DECADE! Bottom line is that most of our sports truly suck.

And yet, despite law suits that cost the athletic department millions (plus the poor PR), despite handing out lifetime contracts to under-performing coaches, despite neglecting to announce such contracts, despite the weak overall performance of Hawkeye sports, the athletic director goes on like everything's just peachy. Great gig if you can get it. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT