ADVERTISEMENT

You care only about the Dance

drh1150

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
If you are certain of dancing than who gives a rats a$$ about the conference tournament? After the gauntlet of the regular season, what is there to prove? It's the Bobby Knight reasoning.

Sit Joe W. And maybe CJ. I'm wondering what percentage he is playing at.

Unless you want to work on some things or give your bench some time, take the rest and get ready for the following week.

I love the BTT, all other conferences have them and had for much longer than the Big Ten. If you are a fan of the game you should want high quality basketball games played.

I would also argue if Iowa had recent success in the BTT there would be this many posts about it, just think the 1 and done have left a bad taste in fan's mouths. These seniors deserve to experience a good run, have they even won 1 BTT game.

I think they should compete, I just think it’s prudent to keep the big picture in mind. If Joe is iffy and playing could put him at risk for the NCAAs, then I think you tread carefully. CJ’s injury is more about what he can do on a given day, so if he’s good that day, definitely use him.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
I think winning the first game does matter. I could see us possibly dropping to a 3 seed if we have a bad showing there. Win that and the 2 seed is locked up.

Of course, if you win the first one then you might as well go all out to try to win the whole thing and lock up a 1 seed. A 1 seed matters because then you likely avoid Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan, and Illinois until the Final Four, possibly even OSU too. I'd guess they'd put Illinois in either Gonzaga or Baylor's region and OSU in the other one if they get to a 2 seed.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
If you are certain of dancing than who gives a rats a$$ about the conference tournament? After the gauntlet of the regular season, what is there to prove? It's the Bobby Knight reasoning.

Unless you want to work on some things or give your bench some time, take the rest and get ready for the following week.

Been seeing a lot of comments like this lately on conference tourneys. Bitching & whining saying it's all about money...who gives a shit? Every conference has one yet the whiners act like the B1G is on their own. Instead of moaning how about you enjoy getting to watch Garza for a couple more games?

Reactions: Hawktheworld
I think that conf. tourneys are held for a number of reasons, such as money, money, and more money. But I believe that the fans of teams that sucked all season, have that one final gasp of hope to win "The big one" and advance to the dance.

I love the BTT, all other conferences have them and had for much longer than the Big Ten. If you are a fan of the game you should want high quality basketball games played.

I would also argue if Iowa had recent success in the BTT there would be this many posts about it, just think the 1 and done have left a bad taste in fan's mouths. These seniors deserve to experience a good run, have they even won 1 BTT game.
No semis since 2006. Grand scheme of things it’s not that important but would be nice to get that monkey off our back.

I just think about 2006 when we won the BTT and got Northwestern Stated. It was a fantastic year, but the conference tournament title doesn't take any of the sting out of the 1st round loss.
Was just thinking about this.... my god that brings back terrible memories :mad:

Not only about the Dance, but primarily.

I wouldn't want them to just give back the last outright league title they won, but I'd trade it in a second for an NCAA title. It is the top of the mountain. No other team accomplishment compares to the NCAA tourney title.

Priorities are : 1. NCAA Tourney title

2. Regular season conference title

3. BTT title

BTT title is a nice bonus, might help tourney seed. Mostly, though, it gets a "meh". If JW is ready to go, then play him. If there's any hint that an injury would benefit from more rest, then sit that player. I'd rather have JW, CJF and any other important player sit it out and be primed for game 1 of the NCAA tourney because nothing is a given once that starts up.

Reactions: nelly02
I think the OP has a point. But I also trust Fran to do the right thing when it comes to Joe. If he can go, he will. If he can't, he won't. Keep in mind that this Iowa team, even without Jack & Joe, is still a dangerous draw for any foe in either the BTT or the NCAA.

I want them to do whatever it takes to lock in the 2 seed, or possibly even jump into a 1 seed. If they win out, and beat IL/UM and win the BTT, does that jump them into a 1? I'd think it would be close.

That said, win Friday and I think a 2 is a lock.

FTR, I care about the individual games and the overall results of the regular season. But, the end result is, to me, most important. Is it a good season if a team (P5) wins 28 in the regular season but loses the 1st weekend? Is it a crap season if a team squeaks into the tourney based on the conference tourney, but then goes to the E8 or F4?

Dead serious, for this team, anything less than the S16 is a major disappointment barring another major injury. I'd consider a S16 loss as a foul taste...not a big disappointment but a bit of one. And other than seeding, the regular season has little to do with those feelings.

I agree if anybody isn't at least 90% healthy they should sit

Call me an old guy, but I'd be fine if conference tourneys didn't exist. You just spent 20 games (usually) playing the conference foes but now it REALLY matters playing them again at neither of your home floors?
I get the money, and it's more basketball, and staying fresh, but they could go away.

I think the OP has a point. But I also trust Fran to do the right thing when it comes to Joe. If he can go, he will. If he can't, he won't. Keep in mind that this Iowa team, even without Jack & Joe, is still a dangerous draw for any foe in either the BTT or the NCAA.

Yep, I came to say the same thing. I trust the trainers and coaches. If they feel comfortable with JW and CJ playing, I do too. They know the bigger prize is the dance and won't jeopardize that for the BTT.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
giphy.gif

The BIG should have cancelled the conference tournament and spent next week getting Michigan caught up on their missed games...
Why? Screw everyone else out of the chance to win the tournament just to settle the score between Illinois and Michigan? Doesn’t the tournament do that?

I agree if anybody isn't at least 90% healthy they should sit

Why? If they can play and not risk reinjury, then play them. I’d be more concerned about them getting rusty. Two weeks is a long time to lay off in college basketball.

Why? If they can play and not risk reinjury, then play them. I’d be more concerned about them getting rusty. Two weeks is a long time to lay off in college basketball.
If you are below 90% healthy then u likely will benefit more from a few days rest than from playing. Especially in the case of ankle sprains that can linger... BTT could be 3 games in 3 days, not exactly helpful for injury healing. The medical staff knows this and I'm sure they will do the right thing and hold them out unless they're actually ready to go. Worst thing would be to try and rush Weezy out there and slow down his recovery and have him at less than 90% when it really matters.

I think that conf. tourneys are held for a number of reasons, such as money, money, and more money. But I believe that the fans of teams that sucked all season, have that one final gasp of hope to win "The big one" and advance to the dance.
A little history for those that are age challenged. The BIG was one of the last conferences if not The last conference to implement a tournament. The reasoning was that it would dilute the importance of the regular season. When they finally did implement the tournament it was done because the belief was that the BIG was losing out on tournament births because of the exposure that other conferences received because of their season ending tournaments.

This year happens to an aberration not only because of Covid but because the BIG is in a position of strength when it comes to the number of bids they will receive because of the conferences strength, but that will not always be the case.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
The dance is more important, but Fran and Iowa have something to prove in the BTT. We have been awful under Fran. No reason we can't do well in both the BTT and the Dance. I want the Hawks to beat Illannoy and UM.

Any reports on Weesy? Is he still wearing a boot? Five days is a pretty nice time off, which I'm sure CJ could also use.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
A little history for those that are age challenged. The BIG was one of the last conferences if not The last conference to implement a tournament. The reasoning was that it would dilute the importance of the regular season. When they finally did implement the tournament it was done because the belief was that the BIG was losing out on tournament births because of the exposure that other conferences received because of their season ending tournaments.

This year happens to an aberration not only because of Covid but because the BIG is in a position of strength when it comes to the number of bids they will receive because of the conferences strength, but that will not always be the case.
Looking at the posts, I see a diverse number of opinions and all the posts are really good and make a lot of sense. Certainly a provocative topic. 😊 At my tender age I do remember pre-tournament days, and yes, getting a bid back then was really a big deal because of the lack of the aforementioned.

I just think about 2006 when we won the BTT and got Northwestern Stated. It was a fantastic year, but the conference tournament title doesn't take any of the sting out of the 1st round loss.

I 100% agree with you and 100% want to slap you for bringing it up. I went and shot free throws for hours after that convinced that I would walk on at Iowa because I was a good free throw shooter and wouldn't blow a game like they did.

The anger was real that day... ooof.

Oh, for the OP. I'm actually good sitting Weez at least for game one. Wisconsin would then have to deal with more Perkins which adds a different dimension to Iowa. Heck, maybe even some Kris Murray time.

I think winning the first game does matter. I could see us possibly dropping to a 3 seed if we have a bad showing there. Win that and the 2 seed is locked up.

Of course, if you win the first one then you might as well go all out to try to win the whole thing and lock up a 1 seed. A 1 seed matters because then you likely avoid Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan, and Illinois until the Final Four, possibly even OSU too. I'd guess they'd put Illinois in either Gonzaga or Baylor's region and OSU in the other one if they get to a 2 seed.
It's my understanding that the 2 seed is already a done deal.

It's my understanding that the 2 seed is already a done deal.
If we lose to Wisconsin, we probably stay there. But what if we don’t play Wisconsin and lose to PSU or Nebby? I could see a loss there dropping us down a seed.

If we lose to Wisconsin, we probably stay there. But what if we don’t play Wisconsin and lose to PSU or Nebby? I could see a loss there dropping us down a seed.
If we are going into the tournament off a loss to Nebraska then we should be very scared of the 14 or 15 seed that we are about to play.

Why? Screw everyone else out of the chance to win the tournament just to settle the score between Illinois and Michigan? Doesn’t the tournament do that?

The primary thing the tournament does is make money for the conference,.. In this covid year it would have made more sense to cancel the tournament and then use that extra week wrap up all the makeup games on a more reasonable schedule than what Nebraska put themselves trough...

tSPU, having just beaten Maryland on the road, is enjoying some good momentum right now. They should make quick work of knebby. Then, I think they take down wiscy. But with tired legs, they lose to the Hawks. So the scenario you mention (where Iowa plays the Lions) is very possible--perhaps even likely. But, as has been mentioned elsewhere here, if Iowa goes into the Dance having lost to either Nebraska or Penn State, they have much bigger problems than dropping down a seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT