ADVERTISEMENT

You know, this offense has had some moments….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
And this team is better both ways, all 3 ways (ST) than I believe ALL of us felt after that 1st game. I was very raw after that 1st game but as some of us suspected, USU is decent.

On a quick side note, these are thoughts that I’m sharing with the guys who try to maintain positivity. There is still more of us😊

Iowa St is probably a year away but they have good Rbers and a very, very good defense. They lost 7 games last year by 38 pts, wow!!!

With that said, I’d had plenty to drink by the 2nd half yesterday. I don’t always remember what I saw and I don’t always get back through a game….

Watched the 2nd half tonight. That drive in the 3rd quarter was a VERY good one. It also encompassed our totality of offense. In typical fashion (yes it’s irritating) we kept the game in front of us for the most part after that….meaning we just played clean.

That drive lasted 5 minutes, used 3 Rbers, 3 different WRs and some very good blocking. Patterson took down 2 on a 3rd and 2 where McNamara back pedaled, got hit and threw a dumb to All for 15 yards.

McNamara is fine and those predicting his demise are the typical fatalist that almost want us to fail.

On their TD drive I wish we’d got off the field but for whatever reason, Phil or KF or both were content with ISU burning 7 minutes…

As an interesting aside comparing fans, they were mad (ISU fans) they didn’t hurry up and try us over the top, but the other team (us) doesn’t just say ok….not sure why fans struggle so badly with that concept.

In short we got better again this game, Leistikow and Marvin McNutt were right, our blocking was better. I’d take their thoughts over ANY of the disenchanted types in here.

We essentially gained 210ish yards in 2 Qtrs and 11minutes.

We are much better than last year and you don’t have to let people who have rarely been happy in the 20 plus years I’ve been on here convince you otherwise.

Johnson is lacking a little suddenness right now, must have an ankle issue.

Kyler Fisher and DeShuan Lee will be important to our success, they have both played well.

Super excited to see Harris though, Cooper made him an afterthought last year but as someone said maybe @ghostOfHomer777 they like Harris a lot…He is also 6-1 190 plus and a highend draft prospect.

Jackson looked way, more comfortable in space this week.

Still shocked, how good our pass blocking is AND all our Rbers are decent at blitz pickups, been awhile in that for us..

Just like last week that game was never super in doubt at 10-0…

Super side note…watching Jets, I love Breece Hall, not sure if we ever offered him after Goodson signed, but I liked him a lot more than Jerhil Brock.

I agree completely with everything you said. I think we have seen a ton of improvement on offense, all under the confines of keeping Cade healthy, because everyone knows he is the key to all of it.

I will have to say the only thing that surprised me in the game, really in both games, has not been on the offensive side of the ball, but leaving Lee on the much bigger receiver on 4th and, like what, 7 or so play. I thought that was a risk that did not have to be taken right there, that staying in zone with 2 high safeties even conceding a first down and making them run more clock was a wiser move. I thought that was a curious decision there.

I agree completely with everything you said. I think we have seen a ton of improvement on offense, all under the confines of keeping Cade healthy, because everyone knows he is the key to all of it.

I will have to say the only thing that surprised me in the game, really in both games, has not been on the offensive side of the ball, but leaving Lee on the much bigger receiver on 4th and, like what, 7 or so play. I thought that was a risk that did not have to be taken right there, that staying in zone with 2 high safeties even conceding a first down and making them run more clock was a wiser move. I thought that was a curious decision there.

Agreed, but the kid acquitted himself well. Even on the TD, curious move by Phil all the same, he was there. Just got a little off balance. When he puts on 5-10 more Lbs and gets stronger I suspect he makes that play.

Man can we recruit DBs….I think even better than TEs!

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
I still thought he looked a step slow and was caught flat footed in the first half. He did seem to play more free flowing in the second half but it's hard to live up to the great linebackers we've been able to see for what seems like forever.
One would have to think it takes some time to come into a different scheme and intuitively know what your assignments are in real time. I would imagine every staff does things a little differently and understand what your role in the defense is slightly different from scheme to scheme as well. He looks very talented and I fully expect him to keep making massive progress.

Agreed, but the kid acquitted himself well. Even on the TD, curious move by Phil all the same, he was there. Just got a little off balance. When he puts on 5-10 more Lbs and gets stronger I suspect he makes that play.

Man can we recruit DBs….I think even better than TEs!
He did, I am not criticizing him at all. I think he has done a fine job so far and he has been picked on a lot. I agree, I think he makes that play down the road. He was there, was in the right position to make the play, just didn't. Just surprised Phil didn't give him some safety help there.

• Haha
I still thought he looked a step slow and was caught flat footed in the first half. He did seem to play more free flowing in the second half but it's hard to live up to the great linebackers we've been able to see for what seems like forever.

I agree, he shot the gap in the 2nd half and ran a play down inside with front side help. Also made a nice pass breakup in space on a big TE.

• Haha
He did, I am not criticizing him at all. I think he has done a fine job so far and he has been picked on a lot. I agree, I think he makes that play down the road. He was there, was in the right position to make the play, just didn't. Just surprised Phil didn't give him some safety help there.

It was surprising, on 4th, right? In particular? That’s impressive trust

• Haha
We're a long ways from where we want to be, and the overall results aren't much different from last year, but I agree we've been teased with some flashes. Here's hoping there's more of that to come.

• Wow
We're a long ways from where we want to be, and the overall results aren't much different from last year, but I agree we've been teased with some flashes. Here's hoping there's more of that to come.
I actually think we're considerably farther along then last year, especially in the pass game. After 2 games last year we'd scored 16 points. This year 44 points, and you can see how close we've been to opening up both of those games. Just off a hair on some near misses and drops. On D we'll get Harris back, and I think you'll see Jackson continue to progress in figuring out his role. Hell even Taylor really hasn't had one of THOSE games yet that have earned him so much notoriety. Now if we're talking about the same issues in three weeks, then thats not good.

It was Cover 0 or man coverage if I remember that play correctly. Maybe 1 or 2 blitzing, ISU had 4 or 5 wide. No safety help was to be had.

I actually think we're considerably farther along then last year, especially in the pass game. After 2 games last year we'd scored 16 points. This year 44 points, and you can see how close we've been to opening up both of those games. Just off a hair on some near misses and drops. On D we'll get Harris back, and I think you'll see Jackson continue to progress in figuring out his role. Hell even Taylor really hasn't had one of THOSE games yet that have earned him so much notoriety. Now if we're talking about the same issues in three weeks, then thats not good.

Absolutely agree we are way ahead of last year.
  • McNamara is a big upgrade over Petras.
  • WR depth is much better. Last year I believe we had one scholarship WR play against South Dakota State.
  • Offensive line has been much better with pass protection.
  • RB room has had another year of development.
All that said, this year’s offensive productivity would still get most OCs fired. Showing improvement from rock bottom is not a huge accomplishment. I do think the offense is likely to get better throughout the season if Cade’s health improves. But that’s no guarantee, and I absolutely think we need at least a slight change on offensive philosophy.

Wisconsin has outperformed Iowa over the last decade due solely to the fact that they’ve been effective with their running scheme and Iowa has not. Minnesota has been very effective at running the ball with multiple coaches since Ferentz has been at Iowa. Bielema has turned Illinois into an effective running team in his short time at Illinois. There’s no reason Iowa can’t match the running game success of those programs. But our system continually disappoints in running the ball. It’s long past due to take a fresh look at the offensive scheme.

Absolutely agree we are way ahead of last year.
  • McNamara is a big upgrade over Petras.
  • WR depth is much better. Last year I believe we had one scholarship WR play against South Dakota State.
  • Offensive line has been much better with pass protection.
  • RB room has had another year of development.
All that said, this year’s offensive productivity would still get most OCs fired. Showing improvement from rock bottom is not a huge accomplishment. I do think the offense is likely to get better throughout the season if Cade’s health improves. But that’s no guarantee, and I absolutely think we need at least a slight change on offensive philosophy.

Wisconsin has outperformed Iowa over the last decade due solely to the fact that they’ve been effective with their running scheme and Iowa has not. Minnesota has been very effective at running the ball with multiple coaches since Ferentz has been at Iowa. Bielema has turned Illinois into an effective running team in his short time at Illinois. There’s no reason Iowa can’t match the running game success of those programs. But our system continually disappoints in running the ball. It’s long past due to take a fresh look at the offensive scheme.
Cade is at 55% comp. percentage - there are more than twenty offenses over 70%.
Big Ten Rank: 12th
National: 114th

Yards per rush 3.08
Big Ten Rank: 13th
National: 109th

It’s sad we see improvement considering how disgusting the numbers still are.

Cade may have a ton more swagger and potential but…he’s not completing his passes.

Last edited:
Cade is at 55% comp. percentage - there are more than twenty offenses over 70%.
Big Ten Rank: 12th
National: 114th

Yards per rush 3.08
Big Ten Rank: 13th
National: 109th

It’s sad we see improvement considering how disgusting the numbers still are.

Cade may have a ton more swagger and potential but…he’s not completing his passes.
After finally having a full week of game prep practice, expect to see a sharper Cade. Believe it or not, this offense is close to where we need it to be. The timing might just be perfect.

After finally having a full week of game prep practice, expect to see a sharper Cade. Believe it or not, this offense is close to where we need it to be. The timing might just be perfect.
With our quarterback being healthy for a “full week of game prep practice,” please tell me we’ve finally run out of excuses after like 3+ years of having them….

With our quarterback being healthy for a “full week of game prep practice,” please tell me we’ve finally run out of excuses after like 3+ years of having them….
You know what? Posters, like yourself, are so committed to the negative it won't matter if Iowa puts up 60 on Saturday. I'm quite serious. There will be something to be bitched about. At this point, let's say Iowa totally turns in around and turns into a top 40 or 50 offense. A lot of people are going to look foolish jumping onboard after the fact.

If that shoe fits, feel free to lace that bitch up and own it.

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
You know what? Posters, like yourself, are so committed to the negative it won't matter if Iowa puts up 60 on Saturday. I'm quite serious. There will be something to be bitched about. At this point, let's say Iowa totally turns in around and turns into a top 40 or 50 offense. A lot of people are going to look foolish jumping onboard after the fact.

Posters like myself? Stop pretending like us posters here are like some kind of crazy outliers…..

The two dudes (Jake Butt and the main host) on BTN just spent like 2 straight minutes essentially thrashing our offensive performances to start the season.

And the whole “You’re still gonna bitch if we score 60” is simply outrageous. Stop with that nonsense - that implies that our expectations are to be unbelievable on offense.

And if the offense transforms into a top 40-50 unit, I’ll be on here tossing around praise like today’s society tosses around the word ‘bigot.’ Obviously - you praise when praise is due.

Iowa fans would settle for a top 100 offense that is better than Northwestern.

I'd question that assumption. I think Iowa fans, like any fans for that matter, are hoping for something better than that. Iowa is already a top 100 team in terms of offensive efficiency (91) and I see a lot of unhappy people.

And this team is better both ways, all 3 ways (ST) than I believe ALL of us felt after that 1st game. I was very raw after that 1st game but as some of us suspected, USU is decent.

On a quick side note, these are thoughts that I’m sharing with the guys who try to maintain positivity. There is still more of us😊

Iowa St is probably a year away but they have good Rbers and a very, very good defense. They lost 7 games last year by 38 pts, wow!!!

With that said, I’d had plenty to drink by the 2nd half yesterday. I don’t always remember what I saw and I don’t always get back through a game….

Watched the 2nd half tonight. That drive in the 3rd quarter was a VERY good one. It also encompassed our totality of offense. In typical fashion (yes it’s irritating) we kept the game in front of us for the most part after that….meaning we just played clean.

That drive lasted 5 minutes, used 3 Rbers, 3 different WRs and some very good blocking. Patterson took down 2 on a 3rd and 2 where McNamara back pedaled, got hit and threw a dumb to All for 15 yards.

McNamara is fine and those predicting his demise are the typical fatalist that almost want us to fail.

On their TD drive I wish we’d got off the field but for whatever reason, Phil or KF or both were content with ISU burning 7 minutes…

As an interesting aside comparing fans, they were mad (ISU fans) they didn’t hurry up and try us over the top, but the other team (us) doesn’t just say ok….not sure why fans struggle so badly with that concept.

In short we got better again this game, Leistikow and Marvin McNutt were right, our blocking was better. I’d take their thoughts over ANY of the disenchanted types in here.

We essentially gained 210ish yards in 2 Qtrs and 11minutes.

We are much better than last year and you don’t have to let people who have rarely been happy in the 20 plus years I’ve been on here convince you otherwise.

Johnson is lacking a little suddenness right now, must have an ankle issue.

Kyler Fisher and DeShuan Lee will be important to our success, they have both played well.

Super excited to see Harris though, Cooper made him an afterthought last year but as someone said maybe @ghostOfHomer777 they like Harris a lot…He is also 6-1 190 plus and a highend draft prospect.

Jackson looked way, more comfortable in space this week.

Still shocked, how good our pass blocking is AND all our Rbers are decent at blitz pickups, been awhile in that for us..

Just like last week that game was never super in doubt at 10-0…

Super side note…watching Jets, I love Breece Hall, not sure if we ever offered him after Goodson signed, but I liked him a lot more than Jerhil Brock.
You should write a book….

And do you mean moment or movement?

Just patiently waiting for the complaining after we win the B10 West and someone is whining about the offense only winning 24-21. This may be a moot point late in season, it's simply fodder to look at wins as glass half empty. The Nevada game was the point last year when I said "first game jitters and the Iowa way excuses have been used", we are in trouble.
Now, if at 6 p.m. on Saturday we see a 28-14 type win then it's time to sound some alarms, especially if we are only rushing for 3.5 carry and/or there are <5 WR receptions.

You know who doesn't give a GD about these numbers?

Which tells me this 25 point clause is being perceived by the one who matters as completely meaningless. Certainly the first two games supports my belief.

I get the point you’re trying to make with this but no, I would not settle for something just below 100. That is garbage.

I would, though, “settle” for average at this point. Average would be a very noticeable upgrade for us, as funny as that is.

I would, though, “settle” for average at this point. Average would be a very noticeable upgrade for us, as funny as that is.
in 2022, the average points (from entire season) scored per team was 28 -- I derived this by adding the season average ppg for all 131 teams and divided by 131. Scoring 28 points per game would've ranked #68 last year on ppg basis.
Also, scoring 25ppg last year would've ranked #85 (again ppg basis).
I would deduce that the iowa think-tank determined that the average offense can reasonably produce 25 points (instead of the expected 28) based on the number of offensive plays that our style of offense+defense generates. Based on this average we should expect the iowa offense to rank in the mid-80s and if we pull it off this season will likely be a very successful one.

in 2022, the average points (from entire season) scored per team was 28 -- I derived this by adding the season average ppg for all 131 teams and divided by 131. Scoring 28 points per game would've ranked #68 last year on ppg basis.
Also, scoring 25ppg last year would've ranked #85 (again ppg basis).
I would deduce that the iowa think-tank determined that the average offense can reasonably produce 25 points (instead of the expected 28) based on the number of offensive plays that our style of offense+defense generates. Based on this average we should expect the iowa offense to rank in the mid-80s and if we pull it off this season will likely be a very successful one.
I also think it was based on some stat that Iowa was something like 51-1 when they scored 25 points or more in games over the past 6 years

Interestingly, in those 6 years, every loss Iowa has had, save one 38-36 loss at Purdue, they've scored less than 25 points. 23 losses in those 6 years. Of those 23 losses, 15 times the opponent scored under 25 points.

Either way, while obvious on its face you need to score points to win games, it is also clear that the more you score, the greater the chance you have of winning the game. 25 seems like a magic number for Iowa.

Reactions: desihawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT