ADVERTISEMENT

Your grade for Lester today?

What grade do you give Lester for calling today's game?

• A+

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • A

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • A-

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • B+

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • B

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • B-

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • C+

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • C

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • C-

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • D+ or lower

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
He called a fine game. Cade just has no eyes to make quick decisions behind a below average pass protection line.
I see progress in the OL. Whether it's different coaching or just more experience, I don't know. Not sure if Lester has had any effect on their play, either. But I get the sense CM would have been on his ass more if this game was played 12 months ago.

I thought the calls were okay, execution was not. That's not all on him. I'm tired of missed blocks.
I thought we executed better today than last week, although maybe the level of competition played a role in that. If we could just house these long runs where they get run down or can't make one guy miss, though...

I also did B+. I felt that it was another sign of improvement. KJ got a lot of carries and I was happy with that. I'd really like Wetjen and Brown involved more at WR and am perplexed by that still. Gill is a serviceable option. I really like that they at least gave Sullivan a chance to do something, or anything, really. We did score in the red zone.

Granted it was against a lesser opponent but there was some progress it appears. Cade isn't great, by any means, but we've been through worse QBs very recently. Our offense is doing better and that's all I'm asking for. Unfortunately, our D hasn't been as good as I was hoping this year so far.

Still, our offense has A LOT to improve on, just to be clear.

Q: Why don't we throw downfield more often? It would seem like just the thing to open up the running game even more. Once the safeties start cheating up to defend the run we should back 'em up. Might even get a PI now and then.

Some of you who are more savvy in strategy...please chime in. Why don't we?

Q: Why don't we throw downfield more often? It would seem like just the thing to open up the running game even more. Once the safeties start cheating up to defend the run we should back 'em up. Might even get a PI now and then.

I'm no expert, but maybe the coaches just don't trust the arms in the QB room. Would love to see if Sullivan offers more than McNamara in that department. What I wouldn't give for a guy like Stanley who could just bomb it downfield.

Too sexy.

Well, we know the A+ was from. I'm sure if there was an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ option, he'd have selected that. I wonder if he enjoyed not covering on his "guaranteed" over prediction.

Kirk has coached any risk out of our QBs

He's better than Brian Ferentz, not sure of his upside until we see a couple recruiting classes. Running game is a lot better. WRs have
improved over last year. QB play below average. Getting Sullivan in for a goal line package was a good sign. KF hates the backup QB getting any PT, so this is away to open the door.

He's better than Brian Ferentz, not sure of his upside until we see a couple recruiting classes. Running game is a lot better. WRs have
improved over last year. QB play below average. Getting Sullivan in for a goal line package was a good sign. KF hates the backup QB getting any PT, so this is away to open the door.
Good point here about opening the door. I think we will see a gradual process of Lester moving the needle with Kirk a little at a time on things. Part of integrating his approach with the culture. I saw Wetjen getting in on offense a good sign as well.

Reactions: intrepodor

the receiving personnel we had on the field looked slow as hell and had little to no slipperiness. on top of that ol took turns becoming a turnstile. qb has the weakest arm in college football. i think that about covers it. can’t even dream about it at this point. or maybe they have a play or two that they are saving up.

I think Lester called a good game today. Obviously it helps when the offense just works more often than not. I'm going to give him a B+ and extra credit for the Sullivan red zone packages.
Yeah, was great to see Sullivan in the red zone, but I also had to think “what if…”. Had Sullivan run a QB sneak on 1st and goal at the ISU game, we almost certainly win that game.

Cade can’t get the ball from the 50 to the end zone on a Hail Mary…so it’s probably hard to call too many downfield throws because of that. The ones Lester has called have been laughably underthrown unfortunately.

What I wouldn't give to see a 20-yd slant over the Middle with the ball thrown on the money. Can't remember the last time I saw that.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I see progress in the OL. Whether it's different coaching or just more experience, I don't know. Not sure if Lester has had any effect on their play, either. But I get the sense CM would have been on his ass more if this game was played 12 months ago.
I think the design of the run game makes blocking much easier for the OL.

Look at Kansas without Ketolnicky at OC. EVERYONE was back on that offense and now they can’t get anything going.

Reactions: littlez
I do think our running game is WAY better this year...and we clearly have way more option in the receiver room. Lets hope they continue to gel!!!

Reactions: Bierhalter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT