ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Kaleb Johnson Takes Charge

Adam Jacobi

HB MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Night-and-day difference for Kaleb Johnson from last year to now, on and off the field. As he's in line for one of the best rushing stat lines in the nation after 3 weeks, it's very, very easy to see why teams wanted him to enter the transfer portal in the offseason.

A LOT of shout-outs to Ladell Betts in K2's postgame conference. That's a dude who's bought in to everything the coaches are telling him.

Hope you all enjoy reading.

IOWA CITY — With a trio of long touchdowns by Troy WR Devonte Ross fueling an upset bid by the visiting Trojans, Iowa's offense found itself in the rare position of needing to keep pace with its opponent Saturday.

Enter running back Kaleb Johnson and the Iowa rushing attack.

Johnson continued his torrid 2024 pace with 25 rushes for 173 yards and two touchdowns as Iowa outpaced Troy, 38-21. In just 10 quarters of action, Johnson has amassed 479 yards and six touchdowns — both already surpassing his injury-plagued 2023 season.
"One goal that I always had was to be a top-five back in the nation," said Johnson after his triumphant performance. "It's here now, so I've just got to keep going, keep my head down and keep focusing."

Johnson scored on rushes of 4 and 33 yards in the Hawkeyes' victory, part of a 284-yard performance for the Hawkeye ground game as a whole, but the production started with giant holes for the big back to cruise through.

"I don't even want to give any credit to myself," Johnson said. "I want to give all my credit to my o-line. They played their asses off today. Pardon my language, but the boys played hard today."

FREE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/iowa-38-troy-21-kaleb-johnson-takes-charge

Reactions: jacroc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.