ADVERTISEMENT

Your opinion? What is the simplest, easiest pass route to get yards? Does Iowa use it well?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
To me it is the short pass between the hash marks, many times right over the middle to a stationary receiver behind the defensive line but in front of the LBkrs. It is used all the time by many pro and college offenses, many of them top offenses, to get good yards on first down or a needed few yards on 3rd and short.

The first thing that makes it easier is the receiver is stationary. The second item is against Lbkrs in a zone the receiver just finds a soft spot and against man to man if the defensive player is at the receivers back then they are still wide open.

Does Kirk's offense use this pattern, not a lot, some and the reason probably is not wanting the high pass that gets tipped in the air. Too much chance for a turnover.

But if you practice it a lot you get the passing angle down and you end up with connections like Mahomes to Kelce.

Just watch how many teams use this play to get 4 yards and many more.

We don't seem to do much over the middle unless it's a screen pass. Last game, on several occasions we had three guys run outs, all running between five to twelve yards toward the sideline. Outs are the hardest throw to make, but seem to be the focus of our passing game and our spacing is horrible. I don't know if it's the design, bad route running, no time from the oline to get spacing downfield, but I've never seen an offense with so much congestion in the passing game. When we do send a TE up the middle, it's usually a go route.

Do we really need it? We are gaining 55 yards per quarter running and passing! Sarcasm

Having the bad 0-line and a poor wr group has an impact on which route. Anything that takes more than 2 seconds to develop is not likely to be successful with a stationary pocket with this group. Normally I'd go for some quick slants. But I don't think they have the personnel to pull this off with any consistency.

Reactions: chuck285
We don't seem to do much over the middle unless it's a screen pass. Last game, on several occasions we had three guys run outs, all running between five to twelve yards toward the sideline. Outs are the hardest throw to make, but seem to be the focus of our passing game and our spacing is horrible. I don't know if it's the design, bad route running, no time from the oline to get spacing downfield, but I've never seen an offense with so much congestion in the passing game. When we do send a TE up the middle, it's usually a go route.
You are correct about not passing much over the middle except the occasional quick slant, TEnd up the hashes, and the 10 yard slant.

So basically we are playing on half of a field outside the hashmarks with our receivers. This is a huge advantage for the defense and a terrible misuse of the offense.

we are going deep a bit more but that takes time.

Reactions: dadster
Are tight ends fast enough for those routes?
Which routes, certainly many are fast enough from the slot to run a slant of about 10 yards in one second, get position, and be a big target.

Top sprinters average 10+ yards per second in a 100 yard or 100 meter dash. If they can accelerate fast off the LOS as a receiver they can go 10 yards downfield, make the DBack turn, stop and take a step back for a 9 yard stop/comeback pattern. Plus the step back should be toward the qB if possible so that the receiver seems stationary to the QB.

This aint rocket science. McNutt used to catch so many stop patterns along the sidelines, make a DBack miss and get lots of YAC, KOK used it alot with McNutt, CJ Brown, Andy Brodell, etc, DJK

Play-action, roll-out, then throw the ball 10 yards out of bounds. I’ve seen iowa execute that play to perfection the past 3 seasons.

Reactions: your_master5
Simplest is just turning and throwing horizontal. I say that somewhat jokingly, because it isn't really a route, but if defenders are playing 10 yards off, why not freaking do it.

Opposing teams often dink and dunk that crap to move on us. Use the same thing to stop defenders from cheating off.

Having the bad 0-line and a poor wr group has an impact on which route. Anything that takes more than 2 seconds to develop is not likely to be successful with a stationary pocket with this group. Normally I'd go for some quick slants. But I don't think they have the personnel to pull this off with any consistency.
I actually don’t think our pass protection has been horrible outside of Penn State. Run block is awful. Agree the WR group is bad. But it’s BF’s offense and if we can’t get the players to come, then he needs to go.

Simplest is just turning and throwing horizontal. I say that somewhat jokingly, because it isn't really a route, but if defenders are playing 10 yards off, why not freaking do it.

Opposing teams often dink and dunk that crap to move on us. Use the same thing to stop defenders from cheating off.
Yes, that is certainly an easy one especially if your qb is accurate and can put the ball just in front of the receiver, get it there quick, and if your receiver can avoid direct contact he gets 5 yards but if they make the DBack miss there are a lot more yards

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Yes, that is certainly an easy one especially if your qb is accurate and can put the ball just in front of the receiver, get it there quick, and if your receiver can avoid direct contact he gets 5 yards but if they make the DBack miss there are a lot more yards

Making the catch seems to be the hardest part for our WR group right now. Hopefully they can "clean that up"

These easy pass routes you speak of….what’s the upside?

I would like to see them to RPO with Eric All lined up off line behind 2nd TE on left. Stretch run to the left with Eric All running opposite direction behind line. If they read man and defenders don’t follow, fake the run and pass to All.

They just need to get more creative with giving him the ball more and create looks that if the defense puts too much focus on him it opens something else up.

Reactions: unclesammy

This and also the swing pass we saw Sparty run often last week. Difficult to stop for no gain, gives your guy the ball in space with just one guy to beat.

Reactions: obfuscating
It’s the route that is easiest to get open on. It’s how the route is run…

We’ve used hitch routes on opening drives with success because they’re easy to execute and get some positive vibes going early.

I would like to see more angle and option routes by RB’s. Keep a TE or two in for pass blocking since the RB will be vacating the backfield.

While we don’t have Texas’ talent at WR, they do a lot of 2-receiver routes with max protection. I think trying that might be worth it; do it on second and short so we’re not wasting a down.

Depends on the defense, but slants. No, Iowa does a horrible job at taking what the defense gives.

What has the defense been giving them? Last game I watched Deacon (I like him by the way so no I’ll will) throw 3 passes over the heads on under routes for a harder throw…he isn’t coached to do that…

And I watched 6 people drop 1st down throws?!

They do throws slants, but there has to be some trust there…there isn’t…

And historically they do throw over the middle, but definitely more dangerous.

Again, as I have said, execution and recruiubr, WR drops, bad routes, etc all falls on BFs head and he needs to go….

But this magical scheme problem and play calling is a non sequitur…we just suck, period.

Of all the things Brian does I actually think his playcalling is the best, everything else blows!

Reactions: uihawk82
The ones where we have people like Bulaga, Steinbach, Gallery, Linderbaum, Scherf, etc. up front

What has the defense been giving them? Last game I watched Deacon (I like him by the way so no I’ll will) throw 3 passes over the heads on under routes for a harder throw…he isn’t coached to do that…

Again, as I have said, execution and recruiubr, WR drops, bad routes, etc all falls on BFs head and he needs to go….

But this magical scheme problem and play calling is a non sequitur…we just suck, period.

Of all the things Brian does I actually think his playcalling is the best, everything else blows!
Cant agree with you regarding the playcalling though. idk that I think he’s terrible, just that he’s very inconsistent imo, with a tendency to overthink things at times.

one thing I liked from the western Michigan game was that for once he actually ”scratched where it itched” when it became clear the running game was clicking.

His first 2 series are pretty much scripted, then it is a free for all (which BF is average at best).

The defenses don't have to give much, they know that Iowa's offense is trash, which is why IOwa is dead last in offensive production in the country.

Drops\catches are a by product of player development, which rests on the offensive coaches to do. If they aren't or haven't been producing, the coaches need to go (which is evident when we have players leave and become "THE GUY" at other schools).

I never said over the middle, slants are not post routes. Whatch what most teams do to us as we play a bend defense, they hit slants, hitches, hooks, curls, etc. Defenses know we can't throw the ball so they play mostly man on our WR's.

Reactions: your_master5
Quick short passes out to a wide receiver in a bunch formation are easy throws requiring virtually no protection by the oline. Iowa doesn't do that. Ever.

Reactions: uihawk82
Cant agree with you regarding the playcalling though. idk that I think he’s terrible, just that he’s very inconsistent imo, with a tendency to overthink things at times.

one thing I liked from the western Michigan game was that for once he actually ”scratched where it itched” when it became clear the running game was clicking.

I thought the immediate bootleg action and attempts to make things simple for Deacon, we’re fantastic .

I really did think he called a solid game, I thought coming back to the running game late was solid and worked a “little”…

Play calling and scheme is every fans go to. The Truth is typically way more nuanced. IMO

Reactions: sober_teacher
His first 2 series are pretty much scripted, then it is a free for all (which BF is average at best).

The defenses don't have to give much, they know that Iowa's offense is trash, which is why IOwa is dead last in offensive production in the country.

Drops\catches are a by product of player development, which rests on the offensive coaches to do. If they aren't or haven't been producing, the coaches need to go (which is evident when we have players leave and become "THE GUY" at other schools).

I never said over the middle, slants are not post routes. Whatch what most teams do to us as we play a bend defense, they hit slants, hitches, hooks, curls, etc. Defenses know we can't throw the ball so they play mostly man on our WR's.

How have “the guys” been doing this year? Have there been a lot of “the guys” elsewhere?

Not sure we even have a bunch of guys on offense?

Last edited:
I thought the immediate bootleg action and attempts to make things simple for Deacon, we’re fantastic .

I really did think he called a solid game, I thought coming back to the running game late was solid and worked a “little”…

Play calling and scheme is every fans go to. The Truth is typically way more nuanced. IMO

True. I do have more complaints regarding the scheme rather than playcalling overall - imo the scheme requires near-perfect execution to have a chance, it’s just too rigid overall seemingly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT