ADVERTISEMENT

Youth sports gone wild

at4iowa

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2002
Sounds more like youth sports parents gone wild and that's nothing new.

I love sports and played them growing up, however, these stories make me question if I should allow my son to play organized sports.

After the game, one of our players got punched in the face twice by some hooligan on the other team. They (players AND parents) essentially surrounded him and wouldn't let him leave. My son also got shoved and someone threw a punch at him, but missed. The opposing coach was just screaming obscenities, flipping people off and trying to cause a riot. He was kicked out of the tournament and their team forfeited the next game. Most of the screaming was being done by parents from the other team and people not associated with our team. 5 of our 8 kids had to leave immediately after the game to go to a mandatory band thing, so we were just trying to get out of there and they wouldn't let us leave. They were blocking the only stairwell out. I literally had to shield my son while walking up the stairs.

Two of their fans got into physical altercations with other adults not associated with out team. One guy shoved another guy hard against a wall and some woman went after a guy. Our player who got punched did not retaliate and I really respect the restraint he and his dad showed. I called 911 and so did some other people and within 5 minutes there were 9 police cars and 15 officers in the school. Even so, the fans spilled out of the gym and threatened one of our players and his dad all the way to his car. Unbelievable.

Originally posted by Hy_dro:
I love sports and played them growing up, however, these stories make me question if I should allow my son to play organized sports.
That's one example out of thousands. I've attended many youth sporting events and the majority of them are well represented with good behavior by players, coaches and fans. I imagine though it's worse in certain areas of the country.

Originally posted by at4iowa:
After the game, one of our players got punched in the face twice by some hooligan on the other team.  They (players AND parents) essentially surrounded him and wouldn't let him leave.  My son also got shoved and someone threw a punch at him, but missed.  The opposing coach was just screaming obscenities, flipping people off and trying to cause a riot.  He was kicked out of the tournament and their team forfeited the next game.  Most of the screaming was being done by parents from the other team and people not associated with our team.  5 of our 8 kids had to leave immediately after the game to go to a mandatory band thing, so we were just trying to get out of there and they wouldn't let us leave.  They were blocking the only stairwell out.  I literally had to shield my son while walking up the stairs.

Two of their fans got into physical altercations with other adults not associated with out team.  One guy shoved another guy hard against a wall and some woman went after a guy.  Our player who got punched did not retaliate and I really respect the restraint he and his dad showed.  I called 911 and so did some other people and within 5 minutes there were 9 police cars and 15 officers in the school.  Even so, the fans spilled out of the gym and threatened one of our players and his dad all the way to his car.  Unbelievable.

This is what you get when a bunch of parents that have achieved nothing in life get involved in youth sports.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Head coach was white with pants around mid-ass, 50 pounds overweight, arms covered in tattoos. Players were black, white and Hispanic. The kid who punched our player was black. This wasn't about race. It was about a bunch of thugs with horrible parents acting like a bunch of thugs and horrible parents.

Originally posted by Hy_dro:

Don't be such a pussy

I hesitate to put a % on the amount of good people around here involved with this stuff, but it a lot higher then the bad.

People are generally decent around here, it's just when people get competetive they tend to lose their minds to much.

You know what else has gone wild? The girls in Brazil! I saw a documentary about it.

Head coach was white with pants around mid-ass, 50 pounds overweight, arms covered in tattoos.  Players were black, white and Hispanic.  The kid who punched our player was black.  This wasn't about race.  It was about a bunch of thugs with horrible parents acting like a bunch of thugs and horrible parents.

99 out of 100 fighting videos are with black combatants. It's not about race but anyone saying race has nothing to do with it needs a lesson in analytics.

At4iowa,
Does your youth organization offer or demand parents to attend a kind of preseason meeting and discuss the expectations of adult behavior during youth sporting events? I was associated with Eagan Ath Assoc for several years and they made a real push to have parents attend these for a couple years. I think it helped some but you just get parents that will not change and act like your opponent did. I'm guessing your opponent never had these type of mandatory meetings.

Originally posted by Hawkeyemc:
Head coach was white with pants around mid-ass, 50 pounds overweight, arms covered in tattoos.  Players were black, white and Hispanic.  The kid who punched our player was black.  This wasn't about race.  It was about a bunch of thugs with horrible parents acting like a bunch of thugs and horrible parents.

99 out of 100 fighting videos are with black combatants. It's not about race but anyone saying race has nothing to do with it needs a lesson in analytics.

This looks like a brilliant analysis. I hope you'll be teaching this "lesson". You sound really smart and balanced.

Originally posted by Kinnick 4 Prez:
At4iowa,
Does your youth organization offer or demand parents to attend a kind of preseason meeting and discuss the expectations of adult behavior during youth sporting events? I was associated with Eagan Ath Assoc for several years and they made a real push to have parents attend these for a couple years. I think it helped some but you just get parents that will not change and act like your opponent did. I'm guessing your opponent never had these type of mandatory meetings.

Yes, we are in EP and I coach boys and girls basketball and baseball. My daughter also plays soccer. Soccer actually does it the best as the parents have a mandatory meeting for all parents that talks about fan behavior and how to generally be a supportive fan and parent. The basketball association also has mandatory meetings and you have to sign a code of conduct contract before the season. I don't remember the baseball association doing anything.

I've been coaching for 7 years and to be quite honest, I don't think any of those meetings help. The sensible people walk away from those meetings feeling like it was really good to hear and think they are a great idea. However, those people wouldn't be a problem anyway. The people that really need to understand the message don't care what they are told. The rules don't apply to them. Teams like we played (Westside St. Paul) aren't under the umbrella of any organization and don't have resources like the school based teams have.

I've seen coaches scream at players (5th grade girls basketball), fans taunt other fans and players, coaches get thrown out of gyms, etc. Until last weekend, there was never a time where I personally felt unsafe or feared for the safety of our fans and players. It was awful and just sad to witness. The kids on that team have little chance to succeed in life if they have role models like the parents and coaches I saw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT