ADVERTISEMENT

100% KF wanted to hire someone worse than Brian…

It's amazing how many D1 coaching geniuses actually come on this board.
How 'bout you post under your real names so we can see how your experience makes you experts on coaching?
We all know that he'll be limited by Kirk's oversight, but which coach out there was going to automatically move our offense into the top 50% next year, and would want to come here?

How 'bout you post under your real names so we can see how your experience makes you experts on coaching?
We all know that he'll be limited by Kirk's oversight, but which coach out there was going to automatically move our offense into the top 50% next year, and would want to come here?
My real name is Barry McCockiner, I once ran a successful offense for the Alabama Hot Pockets. But more importantly I am here to tell you everytime Vince McMahon takes a dump on a girl's head an angel gets its wings.

Maybe he is a diamond in the rough and will have decent perspective for qb development, being a former qb, but his resume is no way near the description good.

No other power 5 team would have fans talking about good numbers put up in the Mac. Christ western Michigan gave up 68 points to buffalo. Of course their offense is going to see the field enough to be ranked higher offensively . But you need to look numbers a bit differently with some conferences.

I’ve got it on good authority that Frian Berentz was willing to take the job. According to a coach pretty close to the iowa program he’s a great coach on the same level as Phil Parker. Shame it didn’t come together.

• Angry
Reactions: PIEPI and hawkod
Beth could have stepped in….for some reason she didn’t …my guess is, unlike the dopes on these boards, is she believes he can be successful. I mean, you’d hope she cares enough right?

The obvious answer is yes!
Beth Goetz could have stepped in and done what exactly? Pay Kirk Ferentz $42,000,000 to go away?
I have no doubt she hopes he can be successful (just like most of us), but l don‘t believe that’s the sole reason that he’s not being encouraged to consider retirement sooner than later.

Beth Goetz could have stepped in and done what exactly? Pay Kirk Ferentz $42,000,000 to go away?
I have no doubt she hopes he can be successful (just like most of us), but l don‘t believe that’s the sole reason that he’s not being encouraged to consider retirement sooner than later.

Let’s remember….Triple B is not you nor any of these message board dolts. I doubt she’d waste her days complaining on message boards….😂

Reactions: PIEPI
The more I look into Lester…the more I’m willing to have a positive attitude about it.

He didn’t call plays in his first year at WMU. But he took over play-calling duties in year two. I found this article interesting, as guess who asked for help with improving the passing game?? OC Kevin Johns. WMU was very good offensively under Lester, except for his last season. I was surprised that they fired him, because the offense was returning 4 starters and the MAC has been ransacked in the portal.

After reading the above article, I'm a little skeptical about your take. The following quote caught my attention:

Lester said the biggest change was philosophy: More aggression, less rigidity.

"I put a lot of freedom on the quarterback and the receivers to create and adjust routes," Lester said. "In the passing game two years ago, we were counting steps and very rigid.

So, Lester is about being more aggressive (which Johns is also on video as stating something he feels is important on offense)? This might not seem to align w/ KFs history.

Putting freedom to adjust routes on the QB/receivers is also something Johns has mentioned as an emphasis he employs. Again, is this a KF trait?

Finally, I can't image after being around Randy Walker and Kevin Wilson for 5-6 years and their innovations on offense, it seems very odd they would be very rigid and step-counters.

So, I'm not sure Lester was completely honest in his seeming to throw Johns under the bus, so to speak. Couple that with the scandal at the small college he was coaching at..... (btw, I've heard or seen social media posts from Johns praising and showing gratitude to all the coaches he has worked under, except ...)

Really. Because I disagree. As a head coach he had some very good offenses. He was also a QB coach at Purdue. If you don't like the selection, just let your family and friends know. That way, the rest of us don't have to be subjected to your adolescent crap.
As a OC he NEVER had any good offenses...

I’m so disappointed in myself thinking I should see anything but 100% stupidity negative posts buy obviously dumb people that will never have anything good to say about anything. Social media is most definitely a hang out for giving negative people a voice.

The GB coach is considered an offensive and QB guru. Having his telephone number in his pocket may help recruiting and if he has part of the GB playbook and KF lets him use it; things might not be so bad.
Lester was just a Offensive analyst. Like an accountant, just set in a room all day looking over film and finding mistakes. I doubt he talked much to Matt other than at the drinking fountain. He communicated with the OC more

While this hire is a little underwhelming I’m choosing to be optimistic. Lester has had some good offenses and honestly the bar is very low for me. As long as this offense shows improvement I’m happy. This team would be a force with a slightly below average offense (barring the defense doesn’t fall off a cliff). All I’m saying is let’s give this guy a fair chance.

Lester was just a Offensive analyst. Like an accountant, just set in a room all day looking over film and finding mistakes. I doubt he talked much to Matt other than at the drinking fountain. He communicated with the OC more
Just so everyone understands, this was Lester's job with the Packers-

Lester, who was previously the head coach at Western Michigan, spent one season in Green Bay. He was an analyst for Matt LaFleur on the defensive side of the ball.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/28/packers-losing-senior-analyst-tim-lester-to-iowa/

• Haha
Reactions: IAHUNTER
Lafleur is his old college buddy and gave him a job when WMU fired him. He’s not bringing secret plays and a recruit pipeline. JFC

Of course not….that wouldn’t fly around here. We have the worst team in college football history…

And we have kept a list coach around fur 20 years….oh wait….

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Honestly, it’s all going to be relative.
Lester will be running KF’s offense with the same players from last season. Expecting a huge, if any, improvement is probably just going to make us miserable.
Looking at it realistically, Johns would have been in the same boat.

This. Period.
Hand off left guard.
Pass 5 yds incomplete.
Hand off left tackle.
Pass 4 yds.
Punt.

For 20 freaking years. The worst offense in Division 1 football. You have to work hard to be the worst at anything, and Iowa fans seem to take pride by defending this coach.

Purge this dinosaur and hire a dynamic coach to bring Iowa into the 21st Century.

I bet he talked to him a lot. They are old college buddies.

The GB coach is considered an offensive and QB guru. Having his telephone number in his pocket may help recruiting and if he has part of the GB playbook and KF lets him use it; things might not be so bad.
Green Bay has tended to love Iowa players. They know what they are getting right out of the box.

Matt and he are friends......he was just helping him out after being fired. He knew it would be a short term deal.

Let’s remember….Triple B is not you nor any of these message board dolts. I doubt she’d waste her days complaining on message boards….😂
Triple B? Not sure I know that one.
Granted I’m just a message board dolt, but can you show me where in the post you quoted where I said anything about anybody who’s involved with the football program spending time on message boards?
I don’t really care if you don’t agree with me or want to insult me, but at least base it on something I actually posted.

After reading the above article, I'm a little skeptical about your take. The following quote caught my attention:

Lester said the biggest change was philosophy: More aggression, less rigidity.

"I put a lot of freedom on the quarterback and the receivers to create and adjust routes," Lester said. "In the passing game two years ago, we were counting steps and very rigid.

So, Lester is about being more aggressive (which Johns is also on video as stating something he feels is important on offense)? This might not seem to align w/ KFs history.

Putting freedom to adjust routes on the QB/receivers is also something Johns has mentioned as an emphasis he employs. Again, is this a KF trait?

Finally, I can't image after being around Randy Walker and Kevin Wilson for 5-6 years and their innovations on offense, it seems very odd they would be very rigid and step-counters.

So, I'm not sure Lester was completely honest in his seeming to throw Johns under the bus, so to speak. Couple that with the scandal at the small college he was coaching at..... (btw, I've heard or seen social media posts from Johns praising and showing gratitude to all the coaches he has worked under, except ...)
All fair points.

Believe me, I wanted John’s to be the hire. Hell, I could rattle off a couple dozen guys I would rather have seen hired.

But some of the things being said about Lester on this board are simply not true, or completely lacking context. A “terrible OC” doesn’t drop 27 on #2 Clemson or 24 on #15 LSU with Syracuse-level talent, navigating the season with a FR QB after losing the starter on the opening drive of the season. Come on, people. At LEAST be fair.

I have been as critical of Brian as most, but hopefully I’m being fair in that criticism. We all should give Lester the same leash that we would’ve given Chryst, John’s, or any other coach we would’ve felt better about.

This. Period.
Hand off left guard.
Pass 5 yds incomplete.
Hand off left tackle.
Pass 4 yds.
Punt.

For 20 freaking years. The worst offense in Division 1 football. You have to work hard to be the worst at anything, and Iowa fans seem to take pride by defending this coach.

Purge this dinosaur and hire a dynamic coach to bring Iowa into the 21st Century.
Punting on 5th down I see….

All fair points.

Believe me, I wanted John’s to be the hire. Hell, I could rattle off a couple dozen guys I would rather have seen hired.

But some of the things being said about Lester on this board are simply not true, or completely lacking context. A “terrible OC” doesn’t drop 27 on #2 Clemson or 24 on #15 LSU with Syracuse-level talent, navigating the season with a FR QB after losing the starter on the opening drive of the season. Come on, people. At LEAST be fair.

I have been as critical of Brian as most, but hopefully I’m being fair in that criticism. We all should give Lester the same leash that we would’ve given Chryst, John’s, or any other coach we would’ve felt better about.
Maybe. I think the larger point is the fact that, Iowa is a very strong P5 program, yet our HC dragged his a*s on making a critically important coaching hire and the guys we were left with to choose from were bottom of the barrel guys. There's a reason all these other P5 programs have done their hiring by now, and these guys are left still looking for work. There's zero excuse for a program like Iowa to be left with this level of coordinators from which to choose. Iowa deserves better than to compete with Troy for an OC.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Perhaps the one positive from this hire is if it goes south quickly maybe, just maybe , it will speed up the exodus of Kirk.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT