ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting (1 Scholarship Left): Jaxon Kohler & Josh Dix VISITED Sep3, Tyler Nickel Sep17. Aidan Shaw VISITED Jun23. Kyle Filipowski to Duke

Fran, with Koehler likely announcing for MSU, do you believe we’re done for ‘22 and looking to ‘23 or does Fran have one or two prospects for this class he’s high on that could commit?

I think its possible Fran will offer Luke Hunger and if he does, Hunger more than likely will officially visit. There is not much talk on the remaining bigs who Iowa has offered but still undecided.

The 4 Undecided who Iowa has Offered:

Braden Huff (Offered July 25, 2021)
PF, 6'9", 200, Glen Ellyn, IL

Reed Bailey (Offered May 8, 2021)
PF, 6'10", 205, Wolfeboro, NH
Plays at same High School as 2022 PG Dasonte Bowen
--COMMITTED to Davidson on 8/4/2021 but then DEcommitted

Zion Cruz (Offered June 23, 2020)
SG, 6'3", 165, Mouth of Wilson , VA

Prince Aligbe (Offered April 5, 2019)
SF, 6'5", 185, Minneapolis, MN

Last edited:
I think its possible Fran will offer Luke Hunger and if he does, Hunger more than likely will officially visit. There is not much talk on the remaining bigs who Iowa has offered but still undecided.

The 5 Undecided who Iowa has Offered:

Dominick Barlow (Offered Aug 12, 2021)
SF, 6'8", 205, Dumont, NJ

Reed Bailey (Offered May 8, 2021)

Zion Cruz (Offered June 23, 2020)
SG, 6'3", 165, Mouth of Wilson , VA

Prince Aligbe (Offered April 5, 2019)

What kind of player is this Luke Hunger?

Fran, with Koehler likely announcing for MSU, do you believe we’re done for ‘22 and looking to ‘23 or does Fran have one or two prospects for this class he’s high on that could commit?

On a side note, last weekend, it appears Jaxon really got sucked into the so called family atmosphere that exists at Michigan State.

Magic Johnson, Dramond Green and other well known alumni were in town, obviously making an impression on these teenage prospects.

AND don't forget. The former walk on who now runs a mortgage company is paying EVERY men's basketball player and football player $6,000 per year.

Reactions: WadeWilson
I guess we will just have to kick Michigan States ass just like we did last year. Go Hawks

Someone mentioned this earlier, but Izzo seems to be slipping when it comes to recruiting. A lot of big name prospects have turned him down.

Before today, he had only 1 commitment for the 2022 class.

On a side note, last weekend, it appears Jaxon really got sucked into the so called family atmosphere that exists at Michigan State.

Magic Johnson, Dramond Green and other well known alumni were in town, obviously making an impression on these teenage prospects.

AND don't forget. The former walk on who now runs a mortgage company is paying EVERY men's basketball player and football player $6,000 per year.

MSU has 1 other post on scholarship and has immediate PT..... Iowa has 2 bigs that are young and will have a year of PT under their belts this season.... it was very clear that was a HUGE selling point to Kohler.

MSU has 1 other post on scholarship and has immediate PT..... Iowa has 2 bigs that are young and will have a year of PT under their belts this season.... it was very clear that was a HUGE selling point to Kohler.
Did he commit already?

I can't believe the trouble we are having attracting any of McCaffery's prime big targets. We had the premier post oriented offense in the country the past two seasons with the NPOY and none of the bigs that franisdaman posted that we were pursuing decided to cast their lot with us.
Nobody wants to play in the post since the NBA made post players meaningless.

Reactions: hooper56
Since we only had 1 scholarship remaining, I would have rather had either Aiden Shaw or Tyler Nickel. I can understand losing Nickel to UNC but Shaw to Missouri?

Losing Jaxon to another B1G school sucks, especially when Izzo only offered on Sep 1.

Nevertheless, Bowen and Dix is a great class. And Mulvey was going to be part of this class, too, until he decided to reclassify to 2021.

Last edited:
Since we only had 1 scholarship remaining, I would have rather had either Aiden Shaw or Tyler Nickel. I can understand losing Nickel to UNC but Shaw to Missouri?

Losing Jaxson to another B1G school sucks, especially when Izzo only offered on Sep 1.

Nevertheless, Bowen and Dix is a great class. And Mulvey was going to be part of this class, too, until he decided to reclassify to 2021.
I'd love to get Shaw. I think he'd fit into what Fran is doing with what I think he plans for the team.

Losing Jaxson to another B1G school sucks, especially when Izzo only offered on Sep 1.

That's the class? Great, but we should fill that scholarship.

That's the class? Great, but we should fill that scholarship.
Nah, Ash will be a super super senior worthy of that scholarship.

Seriously though, it'll go to Hunger and if not we'll hear teasings about the portal all year long, and all these wonderful options after the season.... but none of those will materialize, and the scholarship will be banked.

I'd love to get Shaw. I think he'd fit into what Fran is doing with what I think he plans for the team.

Maybe he'll have a change of heart ;)

Otherwise, the 4 Known Options are:

1. Luke Hunger
, who Iowa has not offered yet

These Players Have Offers:

3. Reed Bailey (Offered May 8, 2021)

4. Prince Aligbe (Offered April 5, 2019)

I admit I don't know much about recruiting, but I have to wonder why no services have ranked Hunger. Is it just because he's Canadian? Did he not partake in any competition this past summer? I am also a little put off by his less than impressive list of offers so far. I could be wrong and he might be the center of the future for us, but I would rather pass on him and see if we can still attract one of McCaffery's other highly ranked recruits. If not, just eat the scholarship and save until later.

Last edited:
I admit I don't know much about recruiting, but I have to wonder why no services have ranked Hunger. Is it just because he's Canadian? Did he not partake in any competition this past summer? I am also a little put off by his less than impressive list of offers so far. I could be wrong and he might be the center of the future for us, but I would rather pass on him and see if we can still attract one of McCaffery's other highly ranked recruits. If not, just eat the scholarship and save until later.
I played D1 Basketball in the 70’s and recruiting has changed immensely since then. My daughter was a heavily recruited athlete also. One possibility for the recruiting services to be behind in evaluating is because of Covid. A lot of the exposure tournaments were canceled or rescheduled. It has thrown a monkey wrench into the evaluation process. Even some of these kids seasons have been cut short. We are just starting to get back to holding some of the major AAU tournaments. It has put recruiting back about a year and a half. Throw in the transfer portal and today’s recruiting is a whole new ball game.

He's from Montreal Canada but is playing high school ball in the United States.

It was not until recently that Josh Dix went from not being rated to a 3 star rating.

If things stay as they are, we would have 3 scholarships available for 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lighting Hawk
This is how things stand right now....

6 juniors. I have never liked these unbalanced classes.

2022-2023 Roster (12 on Scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG, Josh Dix

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

JUNIORS: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Keegan Murray

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

SENIORS: 2 players

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca (this includes the the covid-19 free year that all 2020-2021 athletes were given)

Notable Walk on players:

Luc Laketa

Carter Kingsbury

This is how things stand right now....

6 juniors. I have never liked these unbalanced classes.

2022-2023 Roster (12 on Scholarship; 1 scholarship available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG, Josh Dix

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

JUNIORS: 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Keegan Murray

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

SENIORS: 2 players

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca (this includes the the covid-19 free year that all 2020-2021 athletes were given)

Notable Walk on players:

Luc Laketa

Carter Kingsbury
Thanks for the breakdown. Seeing it laid out like this helps the perspective.

Reed Bailey has a pretty good offer list from what I can tell. He also really hit a growth spurt in the last year. Went from 6' 7" 180 lbs to 6' 10" to 205 lbs. More of a stretch 4 than a true post player from the little I've seen of him.
I'm still quite intrigued by Luke Hunger. There seems to be a toughness from him; likes to mix it up inside around the basket. His dad played at Providence.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT