ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Big Ten MBB Discussion Thread

Just a quick check-in on Nebraska 4 days out from their season opener:
  • Juwan Gary is out due to suspension (rumor is weed)
  • Matar Diop and "a few others" have strep throat and haven't practiced this week
  • Joshua Allick might miss the opener to make sure his knee is fully healthy,
  • Rienk Mast might miss opener due to a broken nose and the shock of being assaulted while riding a scooter downtown
  • Blaise Keita is out indefinitely while being plagued by the same ankle issues that bothered him last year
  • Kesei Tominaga is in a walking boot this week after rolling his ankle in an exhibition and is unlikely to play the opener
  • Ahron Ulis is of course suspended indefinitely due to the gambling investigation
Woof. Only positive is that their first 2 weeks are cupcakes, so they have some time to heal. But it's likely we will be seeing the Sam Hoiberg and Jarron Coleman show on Monday.
Looks as if you're correct — if the pregame release is accurate.

Starters for game versus Lindenwood:
1. Sam Hoiberg, 6-0 Soph.
2. Jamarques Lawrence, 6-3 Soph.
3. Jarron Coleman, 6-5 Sr.
4. C.J. Wilcher, 6-5 Jr.
5. Brice Williams, 6-7 Jr.

CONFIRMED OUT
5 Ahron Ulis 6-3 190 lbs Junior - Waiting to hear from NCAA re gambling
15 Blaise Keita 6-11 257 lbs Junior - Ongoing ankle injury recovery
4 Juwan Gary 6-6 221 lbs Junior - Violation of team rules

Questionable
Tominaga - Ankle
Allick - Knee
Mast - Nose
Lloyd - Leg
Diop - Strep Throat

The rest of the bench
2 Ramel Lloyd Jr. 6-6 210 lbs RS Freshman
11 Eli Rice 6-8 213 lbs Freshman
31 Cale Jacobsen 6-4 200 lbs RS Freshman
35 Henry Burt 6-7 216 lbs RS Freshman
24 Jeffrey Grace III 6-3 197 lbs Sophomore

Williams is a transfer wing from Charlotte, so we have no real post players absolutely available, though Allick, Diop and Mast could play. I doubt that Keisei plays.

The program continues to be cursed.

Looks as if you're correct — if the pregame release is accurate.

Starters for game versus Lindenwood:
1. Sam Hoiberg, 6-0 Soph.
2. Jamarques Lawrence, 6-3 Soph.
3. Jarron Coleman, 6-5 Sr.
4. C.J. Wilcher, 6-5 Jr.
5. Brice Williams, 6-7 Jr.

CONFIRMED OUT
5 Ahron Ulis 6-3 190 lbs Junior - Waiting to hear from NCAA re gambling
15 Blaise Keita 6-11 257 lbs Junior - Ongoing ankle injury recovery
4 Juwan Gary 6-6 221 lbs Junior - Violation of team rules

Questionable
Tominaga - Ankle
Allick - Knee
Mast - Nose
Lloyd - Leg
Diop - Strep Throat

Williams is a transfer wing from Charlotte, so we have no real post players absolutely available, though Allick, Diop and Mast could play. I doubt that Keisei plays.

The program continues to be cursed.
It's Lindenwood, so I don't think this is a game that they should be sweating regardless of who plays. However, if anyone likes to gamble on CBB, the Nebraska -22 line is way too high and not factoring in these injuries IMO. Nebraska only won 1 game all of last year by over 20.

Reactions: 9and4
It's Lindenwood, so I don't think this is a game that they should be sweating regardless of who plays. However, if anyone likes to gamble on CBB, the Nebraska -22 line is way too high and not factoring in these injuries IMO. Nebraska only won 1 game all of last year by over 20.
I've been a Nebrasketball fan since my first game at the Coliseum in 1970. We sweat EVERY game.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
Will the B1G break thru this year?

5 out of 6 have Purdue in the National Championship game.

To be fair, it has hardly been making the National Championship game that has been our problem since 2000!

2002: (1) Maryland 64, (5) Indiana 52
2005: (1) North Carolina 75, (1) Illinois 70
2007: (1) Florida 84, (1) Ohio State 75
2009: (1) North Carolina 89, (2) Michigan State 72
2013: (1) Louisville 82, (4) Michigan 76
2015: (1) Duke 68, (1) Wisconsin 63
2018: (1) Villanova 79, (3) Michigan 62

And the more you dig into it, the more astonishing (and depressing it is).
- It's not like one program is carrying the conference ... SIX different programs have been in the National Championship in 22 seasons! That is impressive in and of itself if we ever won!
- It's not like we get there and always get blown out ... 2015 Wisconsin, 2005 Illinois and 2013 Michigan lost legitimate heartbreakers that they might all win if the games were played one more time.
- It's not like we haven't had some truly perfect setups, too ... 2005 Illinois (St. Louis) and 2009 Michigan State (Detroit) got to play literal home games.
- It's also not like the teams we have lost to have been some of the weaker champions. 2005 North Carolina, 2007 Florida and 2009 North Carolina are three of the greatest teams of all-time. Does 2009 MSU beat 2013 Louisville easily? Does 2005 Illinois beat 2002 Maryland? Could 2007 OSU take down 2018 Villanova? You hate to chalk it all up to luck, but...

On that last note, I will NOT make excuses for the Big Ten's NCAA Tournament performance the last three years (i.e., 2021 to present) ... because it has simply just stunk! However, for 2019 and before we have actually been quite good in the Tournament. We just, for whatever reason, cannot win that final game. And while I do think our talent level at the top is a step behind the Blue Bloods, I don't think that can always explain each of these losses. Frustrating, to say the least.

Purdue looking good but Samford can't hit a three.

51-17 Purdue at the half

Last edited:
Rutgers is in a tight one with Princeton on Peacock. Still in the first half. Much faster tempo than Rutgers has played under Pike in the past. Princeton was hot early, but Rutgers has tightened up their D.

Rutgers falls to Princeton 68-61. Rutgers guards are going to have some growing pains this year. They did not look good tonight.

Reactions: longliveCS40
Tyson Walker for MSU is really good. We are going to have big problems slowing him down.

Tyson Walker for MSU is really good. We are going to have big problems slowing him down.
He had 31 on us last year in Iowa City. The game in East Lansing last year though was one of his worst games of the year.

But yeah, he's so good in the clutch. Just one of those guys when the game is on the line you just give the ball to him and let him Iso.

Walker single handedly keeping MSU in this game. MSU down 3 and Tyson Walker with the and 1 for a chance to tie it with 1:39 left.

Hall and Sissoko are so bad. Tyson Walker does not deserve to be forced to play with these 2.

Iowa women win by fitty plus. LSU women lose. MSU loses to James Madison. This night owns!

Today Is A Good Day GIF by VH1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT