ADVERTISEMENT

7.5 Wins For Iowa. Over or Under?

Over. I know I'll get roasted, but I also don't care. I like being right, so here goes:

Illinois State - Win (27-10)
Iowa State - Win (38-7)
Pittsburgh - Win (24-20)
North Texas - Win (27-7)
Wisconsin - Loss (13-24)
Illinois - Win (24-21)
Northwestern - Win (34-14)
Maryland - Win (42-14)
Indiana - Win (28-24)
Minnesota - Loss (21-38)
Purdue - Win (31-0)
Nebraska - Loss (17-21)

9-3 (5-3)

Under. I think this is the year that gets Ferentz fired. I think Beathard is an upgrade but he will be running for his life and there is a serious potential for injury. Based on everything that I have heard regarding the spring game, the offensive line is really going to struggle this year. It looks more and more like Welsh isn't coming back so we will be down a starter from day one. Walsh has really struggled his entire career and we obviously have two new starters at Tackle. I just don't see how we are going to move the ball when they barely scored a single touchdown in the open practice and spring game. 5-7.

I have said all along 8-4 so over. The schedule is so bad I can't see us losing 5 games. I also think it will be the most boring uninspired 8-4 ever but 8-4 none the less.

I have said all along 8-4 so over. The schedule is so bad I can't see us losing 5 games. I also think it will be the most boring uninspired 8-4 ever but 8-4 none the less.
With this year's FCS opponent being an upgrade over the one we struggled with last year, and four of our arguably five toughest games being on the road (at Ames, Lincoln, Madison, and Evanston -- the fifth being Minny who we do get at home finally), you'll understand if some of us remain firmly entrenched in Camp Skepticism.

We had those four tough opponents at home last year, with an O-Line anchored by two NFL draft picks, including the #5 overall pick and Outland Trophy winner, an experienced QB, a more experienced DL, etc., and yet we went 1-3 in those home games. Plus we got obliterated on the road by Minny and were beaten soundly at Maryland (don't let the final score fool you).

So while your optimism is certainly admirable, it's understandable that a large proportion of the fanbase will look upon your prediction of a one-game improvement with a jaundiced eye.

Illinois State - Loss (17-24)
Iowa State - Win (20-18)
Pittsburgh - Loss (24-10)
North Texas - Win (28-17)
Wisconsin - Loss (10 - 44)
Illinois - Win (17-14)
Northwestern - Loss (14-24)
Maryland - Loss (13-38)
Indiana - Win (21-20)
Minnesota - Loss (14-30)
Purdue - Win (17-7)
Nebraska - Loss (13-31)

Reactions: Herkmeister
As most people know, there are 3 key factors: (1) the weak schedule; (2) keeping CJ healthy; (3) the O-line developing (see 2). The optimist could say that, given the weak schedule, assuming CJ does stay healthy, and presuming the O-line starts out adequate, becomes average, and finishes above average Iowa could go 10-2 or better.

Conversely, things could unravel, and the Hawkeyes could fall as low as 4-8. It could be argued the first three games will be pivotal. Win those convincingly and in an aggressive, entertaining fashion, and suddenly hope returns to the Hawkeyes.

For fans like me, this season is filled with angst. On the one hand, of course, we want a great season and, especially, with Beathard ready to fling it around. But on the other hand, a bad year should hasten the path to the new coaching regime. So, in a sense, I guess it could be a good thing whichever way it goes, and that's a shame.

Over. I know I'll get roasted, but I also don't care. I like being right, so here goes:

Illinois State - Win (27-10)
Iowa State - Win (38-7)
Pittsburgh - Win (24-20)
North Texas - Win (27-7)
Wisconsin - Loss (13-24)
Illinois - Win (24-21)
Northwestern - Win (34-14)
Maryland - Win (42-14)
Indiana - Win (28-24)
Minnesota - Loss (21-38)
Purdue - Win (31-0)
Nebraska - Loss (17-21)

9-3 (5-3)

So you have us winning all of our non-conference games for what would only be the 4th time in KF's 17 seasons as coach? History says that it's extremely unlikely to happen. Also, we haven't lost fewer than 3 games at home in a season since 2011.

Even 9-3 against that schedule is just pathetic. A 17 point home loss to Minnesota? Really? That alone should get him fired.

Illinois State - Loss (17-24)
Iowa State - Win (20-18)
Pittsburgh - Loss (24-10)
North Texas - Win (28-17)
Wisconsin - Loss (10 - 44)
Illinois - Win (17-14)
Northwestern - Loss (14-24)
Maryland - Loss (13-38)
Indiana - Win (21-20)
Minnesota - Loss (14-30)
Purdue - Win (17-7)
Nebraska - Loss (13-31)

Yup, I think this is pretty accurate. Maybe switch Illinois State and ISU around.

So you have us winning all of our non-conference games for what would only be the 4th time in KF's 17 seasons as coach? History says that it's extremely unlikely to happen. Also, we haven't lost fewer than 3 games at home in a season since 2011.

Even 9-3 against that schedule is just pathetic. A 17 point home loss to Minnesota? Really? That alone should get him fired.

Minnesota isn't Minnesota anymore. Kill is building / has built a quality program up there. This is the team that took Ohio State to the brink in Minneapolis. Programs that have languished can have upswings. During those upswings a loss to them is not terrible. You can't just say, "but they're Minnesota so they suck." They lost Cobb and the tight end whose name is escaping me right now, but they still have a very talented QB and solid players everywhere.

And yes, I think the Hawks have a chance to sweep the non-con schedule. Pitt is the one that has me worried. They have a few talented playmakers.

And 9-3 is never pathetic at the University of Iowa unless we're a preseason top-5 team. Win the bowl game and that's a 10-win season.

Reactions: ichawk24
Minnesota isn't Minnesota anymore. Kill is building / has built a quality program up there. This is the team that took Ohio State to the brink in Minneapolis. Programs that have languished can have upswings. During those upswings a loss to them is not terrible. You can't just say, "but they're Minnesota so they suck." They lost Cobb and the tight end whose name is escaping me right now, but they still have a very talented QB and solid players everywhere.

And yes, I think the Hawks have a chance to sweep the non-con schedule. Pitt is the one that has me worried. They have a few talented playmakers.

And 9-3 is never pathetic at the University of Iowa unless we're a preseason top-5 team. Win the bowl game and that's a 10-win season.

Unfortunately, Iowa isn't "Iowa" anymore either...

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Illinois State - Win (23-17)
Iowa State - Win (24-17)
Pittsburgh - Win (31-14)
North Texas - Win (45-7)
Wisconsin - Loss (19-24)
Illinois - Win (28-10)
Northwestern - Win (31-21)
Maryland - Win (38-10)
Indiana - Win (28-14)
Minnesota - Win (31-20)
Purdue - Win (34-0)
Nebraska - Win (24-23)

11-1 (7-1)

If fans take a really hard nosed look at 2015 and leave the agenda's at home for a minute an objective observer can see a giraffe taking a bite outta the moon this year. The only game I truly fear is Wisconsin even though I see them losing 3-4 games this year. I think Iowa will get better on both sides of the ball as the season progresses. This is a not a murders row of a schedule and Iowa is better than most think. If there ever was a year to be grateful that Michigan, Michigan St. & Ohio State arn't regular season foes its 2015...heck even Penn State might be a bridge too far this year.But I think this is the year that Iowa breaks through into the Big10 Championship Game even though this will be far from the best Iowa team of the last decade or so.

I almost find the predictions of beating ISU sadly laughable. We lost to them at home last season which was their only Power 5 win and we have lost 3 of 4 which includes some of their worst teams in a decade. I need to see a W in this game alone before I believe it or believe that we are going to win out in the non-con.

Under

Under. Iowa will struggle against bad teams. Iowa will consistently run on 2nd and 11 and 2nd and 12. also, more three yard flat routes when we need 7 or 8. BAU

They went 8-5 last year and lost to freaking Illinois.

Tell me again about this terrific upswing that they're on.

Iowa State - Win (24-17)
Pittsburgh - Win (31-14)
North Texas - Win (45-7)
Wisconsin - Loss (19-24)
Illinois - Win (28-10)
Maryland - Win (38-10)
Indiana - Win (28-14)
Minnesota - Win (31-20)
Purdue - Win (34-0)
Nebraska - Win (24-23)

11-1 (7-1)

If fans take a really hard nosed look at 2015 and leave the agenda's at home for a minute an objective observer can see a giraffe taking a bite outta the moon this year. The only game I truly fear is Wisconsin even though I see them losing 3-4 games this year. I think Iowa will get better on both sides of the ball as the season progresses. This is a not a murders row of a schedule and Iowa is better than most think. If there ever was a year to be grateful that Michigan, Michigan St. & Ohio State arn't regular season foes its 2015...heck even Penn State might be a bridge too far this year.But I think this is the year that Iowa breaks through into the Big10 Championship Game even though this will be far from the best Iowa team of the last decade or so.

What was your prediction going into last season?

Be honest.

Iowa State - Win (24-17)
Pittsburgh - Win (31-14)
North Texas - Win (45-7)
Wisconsin - Loss (19-24)
Illinois - Win (28-10)
Maryland - Win (38-10)
Indiana - Win (28-14)
Minnesota - Win (31-20)
Purdue - Win (34-0)
Nebraska - Win (24-23)

11-1 (7-1)

giphy.gif

Iowa State - Win (24-17)
Pittsburgh - Win (31-14)
North Texas - Win (45-7)
Wisconsin - Loss (19-24)
Illinois - Win (28-10)
Maryland - Win (38-10)
Indiana - Win (28-14)
Minnesota - Win (31-20)
Purdue - Win (34-0)
Nebraska - Win (24-23)

11-1 (7-1)

Bean old buddy, Ol' Doodle's trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but you're not making it easy. Exactly how is this year's schedule easier or even AS EASY AS last year's? You cannot possibly believe ISU, Nebby, and Wisky have regressed so much that playing them on the road is going to be somehow easier than playing them at home. And let's not forget the gargantuan holes we have to fill, especially on both of our lines which lost a total of three NFL draftees. We have unproven players at many other positions as well.

So we have massive personnel turnover and flipped the schedule so our toughest games are on the road, yet you predict not a one game improvement, not two games, not three, but yes, a FOUR GAME improvement over last year. Forgive Doodle if this one remains a head-scratcher.

Wait.......you didn't recently relocate to Colorado by chance, did you?

Bean old buddy, Ol' Doodle's trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but you're not making it easy. Exactly how is this year's schedule easier or even AS EASY AS last year's? You cannot possibly believe ISU, Nebby, and Wisky have regressed so much that playing them on the road is going to be somehow easier than playing them at home. And let's not forget the gargantuan holes we have to fill, especially on both of our lines which lost a total of three NFL draftees. We have unproven players at many other positions as well.

So we have massive personnel turnover and flipped the schedule so our toughest games are on the road, yet you predict not a one game improvement, not two games, not three, but yes, a FOUR GAME improvement over last year. Forgive Doodle if this one remains a head-scratcher.

He predicts not only a 4 game improvement, but literally the most wins that Iowa has ever had, in the 127 year history of the program. This despite losing 2 NFL offensive tackles (replaced by 2 walk-ons), a 2 year starter at QB (replaced by a guy with one career start under his belt), one of the top rushers in program history (both yards and TDs), the all-time leading receiver in school history, and with Greg Davis still running the show on offense. In addition, the main corps of 5 players expected to contribute at LB have a grand total of ZERO division 1 defensive offers between them, other than the ones that they received from Iowa.

Seems reasonable.

Reactions: satrinny

Doodle - As you know my "offical" prediction doesn't come until after July 4th and my data has been fed into the Beantronic2000X. But that is how I see it as of today. I appreciate your restraint.

He predicts not only a 4 game improvement, but literally the most wins that Iowa has ever had, in the 127 year history of the program. This despite losing 2 NFL offensive tackles (replaced by 2 walk-ons), a 2 year starter at QB (replaced by a guy with one career start under his belt), one of rushers in program history (both yards and TDs), and the all-time leading receiver in school history. In addition, the main corps of 5 players expected to contribute at LB have a grand total of ZERO division 1 defensive offers between them, other than the ones that they received from Iowa.

Seems reasonable.

Its going to be a great year!

Reactions: ichawk24
Under. I think this is the year that gets Ferentz fired. I think Beathard is an upgrade but he will be running for his life and there is a serious potential for injury. Based on everything that I have heard regarding the spring game, the offensive line is really going to struggle this year. It looks more and more like Welsh isn't coming back so we will be down a starter from day one. Walsh has really struggled his entire career and we obviously have two new starters at Tackle. I just don't see how we are going to move the ball when they barely scored a single touchdown in the open practice and spring game. 5-7.
Pretty much this, though I think they'll be able to salvage a 6-6 record out of that schedule. However, I agree, anything less than last year WILL mean Kirk gets fired. That is going to happen. Kirk should understand this and make peace with that fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT