ADVERTISEMENT

7.5 Wins For Iowa. Over or Under?

Why so sure about Purdue? Last year the game was 24-10. Iowa has Beathard for sure, but Purdue looks to be improved in many areas. Purdue guy here come on man!

This year game at Kinnick. Last year Iowa turned ball over on downs 2x inside the 10 and Purdue's only score was on pick 6. Purdue's offense made our D look a lot better than it was. Also didn't the speedy small RB, the one guy who did anything on offense, graduate?

Reactions: ichawk24
You really think Lewis and Russell were "nobody's"? Are you familiar at all with their recruiting profiles? Jeez...Lewis was one of the top rated rb's in the nation and Russell signed with Michigan out of high school. If you want to talk about nobody's, look at Iowa's current 2 deeps at OT.. That is an example of nobody's....What happened to Iowa's recruiting at the OT and rb position? After Scherff, did they bring in anybody that has proven to be relevant? Ward- 5th-6th string TE and after 2 years,he has been removed from the "leadership" group.

They were well profiled recruits who hadnt proven a thing on the field. They were replacing a RB who spent a decade in the NFL. Recruit rankings don't always pan out. Look at all the so called studs Moeaki came in with. Most of them flamed out. Remember that big stud OL from Atlantic Blake. He barely saw the field. Until you prove it on the field rankings don't mean crap. I remember when everyone bitched about giving a scholarship to Marshal Yanda because he didn't have a great list of offers. He is one of the higher paid players in the NFL at his position.

show_image.php

Reactions: cohawk
Ferentz does not play to win. This will not happen. He plays to get his paycheck.

Another ignorant statement. If this were really true he would have been shown the door long ago. Some of you dislike him much you will say anything.

Hard to bet that line cause its right were I think we will hit? If I had to choose I put us at 8-4 cause of the schedule being so light, what 109th out of 129th?

What posters on this board over the years have failed to realize is that football is a game of inches not miles. I plus many others feel that Greg Davis's offense has been running with one hand tied behind its back since GD started. First year cause of the newness (JVB just couldn't grasp it) and after that cause of wrong personnel in key positions (QB, RB, WR). Even though our line play maybe not as good this year watch what happens when the QB can release the ball a second faster, RB's who hit the hole a second faster. QB who can convert first downs with his legs on broken plays, QB's who choose to throw downfield 10 times a game instead of 2 so the defense cant stack. These nuisances which I feel we have this year will make worlds of difference. Unlike most who think WR is a weakness I like our Combination of solid TEs, TS, Hilliard and Vandy and now Mitchell out of the backfield on third downs. Like to see a Freshman speedster step up to stretch the field even as a decoy?

FGs and Kickoffs we are good. Punting we our the worse in the conference need help there for sure.

Defensive I feel will be much improved but we need to tackle. Last year we were in position most of the time but got ran over. I would hope this was a focus this off season by our DC and strength coach but then again it could just be a lack of talent? Who knows as of yet but with out going position by position I feel this defense will be better than last year.

So much improved offense, and better defense and same easy schedule I say we win another game for 8-4.

Then go to a New Years Bowl and play a top 15 team and get smashed. LOL no jk.

Reactions: ichawk24 and cohawk
I'm taking the under. Even with our easy schedule I'm going with 7-5. Much worse than that if CJB injured or not allowed to open up the offense.

I haven't been here in a while and it's good to see the same old crying bitches whining about something that hasn't even happened yet. You guys are retards. You say we have a horrible coach, horrible players, horrible schemes and yet say we have an easy schedule. How is any schedule an easy schedule if Iowa sucks as bad as you say? Good stuff. Good luck to your cyclones this year.

Nothing like completely violating board rules. . . .

The difficulty of a schedule can be assessed completely irrespective of how good one's team of choice might be. A good team may thrive despite a tough schedule, just as a bad team may get throttled even by weak opponents. Informed fans would agree that Iowa's schedule is again relatively weak. This has nothing to do with how good our bad Iowa will be this season. But don't let logical thought get in the way of acting like a 5th-grader on a message board and calling people names.

There's a reason why so many "crying bitches", to use your illustrious words, are predicting a weak season -- logic. What you call "whining" most logical thinkers would call "predicting". After all, that's what this thread requested. . . predictions. Looking at recent years of Iowa football, the nature of Iowa's offense, and the marginal recruiting, it stands to reason that this will be another mediocre year. As far as I know, predictions are still allowed on this board. In case you've forgotten, predictions are a common phenomenon on message boards. They're part of the fun. Imagine the audacity of actually talking about "something that hasn't even happened yet". How dare these fans predict the outcome of the season?! Shameful.

I'm sure every Iowa fan taking the "under" would love to see them go 12-0 and would be more than happy to be proven wrong. However, based on recent history, those of us with brains in our skulls realize that another mediocre season is likely.

I suspect you have more names to call us. Knock yourself out -- at least until the mods notice.

Last edited:
Illinois State - Win (23-17)
Iowa State - Win (24-17)
Pittsburgh - Win (31-14)
North Texas - Win (45-7)
Wisconsin - Loss (19-24)
Illinois - Win (28-10)
Northwestern - Win (31-21)
Maryland - Win (38-10)
Indiana - Win (28-14)
Minnesota - Win (31-20)
Purdue - Win (34-0)
Nebraska - Win (24-23)

11-1 (7-1)

If fans take a really hard nosed look at 2015 and leave the agenda's at home for a minute an objective observer can see a giraffe taking a bite outta the moon this year. The only game I truly fear is Wisconsin even though I see them losing 3-4 games this year. I think Iowa will get better on both sides of the ball as the season progresses. This is a not a murders row of a schedule and Iowa is better than most think. If there ever was a year to be grateful that Michigan, Michigan St. & Ohio State arn't regular season foes its 2015...heck even Penn State might be a bridge too far this year.But I think this is the year that Iowa breaks through into the Big10 Championship Game even though this will be far from the best Iowa team of the last decade or so.

If Iowa has some decent play at LB, which we should, then we will go over. For sure. How much over? The RB play should be greatly improved. It will depend if CJB can find another receiver to compliment T. Smith and someone to replace Duzey. That is a HUGE question mark...

One thing that is encouraging is that Beathard seems to be more of a leader than Rudock. It seems as thought he has been pushing guys in the offseason to get better and is already talking about helping the freshman receivers as soon as they get on campus.

It is a very tough year to call. could be anywhere from 6-9 wins. Every year there are teams that surprise maybe this year it will be Iowa.

Reactions: The Outside Noise
I've seen that clip a hundred times and it still leaves me speechless. The only explanation I can come up with is, since Norm Parker left us, this team has had no coaching. At all. Pretty telling about Ferentz and his current staff.

Reactions: The Outside Noise
LOL, link to 8th place prediction coming off of a bowl win? Your memory is failing you, as usual.

Ochoa didn't play on that team and Hinkel only had a handful of catches that year. Everyone knew Banks and Jones were studs from the year before. Everyone knew the offensive line would be awesome, too. Iowa led the conference in offense in 2001. We had another Mo Brown lined up for next year, but Kirk chased him off.

Try again, old man. The 2001 team was extremely talented and people could clearly see the program on an upswing. That team (2001) would have beaten last year's Iowa team by 60. 2002 didn't come out of nowhere, no matter how your feeble old mind mis-remembers it.

Concensus 8th place finish for 2002 - http://preseason.stassen.com/consensus/2002.html

Good point. Any optimistic forecasts for this season are making some assumptions. I hope it's a great year, but I don't see much objective evidence to indicate that it will be any different from the last couple of seasons (i.e., more mediocrity).

Under. I think this is the year that gets Ferentz fired. I think Beathard is an upgrade but he will be running for his life and there is a serious potential for injury. Based on everything that I have heard regarding the spring game, the offensive line is really going to struggle this year. It looks more and more like Welsh isn't coming back so we will be down a starter from day one. Walsh has really struggled his entire career and we obviously have two new starters at Tackle. I just don't see how we are going to move the ball when they barely scored a single touchdown in the open practice and spring game. 5-7.
3bb7237154_so_close.jpg

Reactions: bladel
Well, even if we could muster an offense...highly unlikely. What defense is going to stop other teams from scoring, ours won't! If Norm Parker was resurrected and got back on board, we would have a chance. I hope I am wrong, but hard to see anything better this year, after playing one of the softest schedules in the country and barely got above .500
Spot on!

Soybean is looking pretty smart right about now.

Wow, no kidding, hopefully the rest of Soybean's predictions turn out. Even the scores were pretty close. Had us losing to Wiscy and his score was a little high. He probably didn't factor in the wind:)

It just goes to show you that no matter what you think you know in August you don't know shit. You don't know how other teams will turn out (who had NW ranked), you don't know who will turn his game up a notch, you have no idea how tough or weak our schedule is going to be. (currently ranked #35). 35th ranked schedule? Just two months ago the gurus on this board knew it was the easiest schedule ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u and rfgiowa
These are funny, I said 9+ wins long ago and many blasted me for it......we're are the 5 and six win predictors??? Only here to bitch obviously

Props to Soybean. I'm curious when some of the more negative prognosticators will post as I don't recall posts from some of them recently. I wonder if it will be when the Hawks lose a game - hmmmm.

Props to Soybean. I'm curious when some of the more negative prognosticators will post as I don't recall posts from some of them recently. I wonder if it will be when the Hawks lose a game - hmmmm.
Yup. They just bide their time when they don't have a blatant excuse to be overly pessimistic.

"Oh yeah, well wait until we lose a game. Then I'll show you!...."

I predicted 6-6, I'm pretty sure. Not interested in searching through the thread. That prediction was predicated on the same stuff happening that we've seen in recent years. Fortunately, things have changed. For one, our coaching staff has gone on the attack. Another factor that's changed is team chemistry. It seems to be fairly common knowledge that last year's group lacked leadership and cohesion, whereas this year's Hawks have pulled together and have some great leadership from the upperclassmen, one of whom plays the most vital position on the team -- QB. So things have changed, and many of us doubted that these changes would take place. I think the pessimism of having seen the Iowa program languish in mediocrity while doing the same old stuff got to lots of Hawk fans.

I'm happy to admit where I was wrong. The offensive line has been a pleasant surprise so far, IMO, as the run game has been better than I'd expected and pass protection has been largely sufficient, minus a good part of the Wisconsin game. The D has been better than I'd expected, too. I've been pleasantly surprised by the LB play.

There have clearly been multiple factors at play in the Iowa football resurgence so far this season. I'm proud of Kirk for changing his approach, I'm proud of the players who have emerged as team leaders, and I'm proud of this team's new-found chemistry. Also proud as heck of the unproven players who have stepped up and really played some big-time ball.

I know I'm not alone in saying I couldn't be happier to have been proven wrong by the Hawks. Loving the ride, and pulling for them all the way. Hope they prove me wrong to the tune of 12-0 and a national title! Might as well dream a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: rivercityjazzman
Wow, no kidding, hopefully the rest of Soybean's predictions turn out. Even the scores were pretty close. Had us losing to Wiscy and his score was a little high. He probably didn't factor in the wind:)

Wisconsin was the only team I really feared going into the season...and they proved to be a pretty good adversary. I'm fairly confident that Iowa will now run the table....even though Northwestern will be very stiff test that Iowa will not wear down until very late.

Last edited:
Reactions: rivercityjazzman
It just goes to show you that no matter what you think you know in August you don't know shit. You don't know how other teams will turn out (who had NW ranked), you don't know who will turn his game up a notch, you have no idea how tough or weak our schedule is going to be. (currently ranked #35). 35th ranked schedule? Just two months ago the gurus on this board knew it was the easiest schedule ever.

Pretty sure for you it's not just August

#Jan2Dec

Great read LOL! Love that soybean had the confidence ... hopefully the year will continue to play out the way he said!

How about the the ying yang kinnick.crusader ... what is his handle now? I'm sure he isn't using that one anymore ... too funny.

My goodness. Thanks for bringing this thread back up. It was a lot of fun to read through again. Glad I didn't make any solid predictions.

However, I was pretty salty heading into this year as to how I felt the year will go. I just kept hoping for a winning record.

Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT