ADVERTISEMENT

8,000 at Iowa spring game? Try 800

Feb 5, 2015
Wow. Either somebody in the SID's office failed estimation in math class, or somebody accidentally slipped an extra zero onto the announced attendance at Iowa's spring fling yesterday. And that's being kind. The pictures don't lie. Should you have the time to waste, you could literally make a count of the folks on hand. But an honest estimate would be about 1,000...more or less...probably less.

The truth is, despite the ugly weather, there almost certainly were more people at the Iowa baseball game yesterday than at the football scrimmage.

There was a time when Iowa drew 30,000 or more for the spring game. But like almost everything else associated with Iowa football under KF these days, that was a long time ago. Still, it's insulting to have Iowa officials claim there were about 10 times as many people in Kinnick yesterday as there actually were. The sad days in Iowa City just keep getting sadder.

Was present and agree with the 900 to 1000 assessment. Weather awful with threat of rain surely contributed.

Wow. Either somebody in the SID's office failed estimation in math class, or somebody accidentally slipped an extra zero onto the announced attendance at Iowa's spring fling yesterday. And that's being kind. The pictures don't lie. Should you have the time to waste, you could literally make a count of the folks on hand. But an honest estimate would be about 1,000...more or less...probably less.

The truth is, despite the ugly weather, there almost certainly were more people at the Iowa baseball game yesterday than at the football scrimmage.

There was a time when Iowa drew 30,000 or more for the spring game. But like almost everything else associated with Iowa football under KF these days, that was a long time ago. Still, it's insulting to have Iowa officials claim there were about 10 times as many people in Kinnick yesterday as there actually were. The sad days in Iowa City just keep getting sadder.

ISU reported 7,500 attendance, do you really think the U of I was going to report less than that number?

The first liar never wins!

Reactions: rillo 62
Some pics suggest 1,500 people. Some pics suggest 500 people. I'm guessing a lot of people left real early.

Well those fair weather fans missed our first team offence getting rolling against the 3rd team D.

As far as the announcement of 8,000 fans it just adds to the entire lack of credibility in the athletic and marketing departments at the current time. They would rather lie, pretend, use vague explanations or confusing language than address real issues.

Reactions: Senor Martinez
It took me 5 mins to count 936 people in a birds eye photo of the stadium 5 mins before kickoff. Not sure where the other 7,000 fans were. I'm sure I missed a bunch of people but it's safe to say this crowd never got larger than a couple thousand people. I also saw a screen shot of a similar photo early in the spring scrimmage that looked to have similar fan presence.

Well those fair weather fans missed our first team offence getting rolling against the 3rd team D.

As far as the announcement of 8,000 fans it just adds to the entire lack of credibility in the athletic and marketing departments at the current time. They would rather lie, pretend, use vague explanations or confusing language than address real issues.

Maybe they should have provided concession vouchers to get the attendance up.

Was present and agree with the 900 to 1000 assessment. Weather awful with threat of rain surely contributed.
I was there as well. I don't know what the exact attendance was, but I don't think it was 8,000 or 800. Based on capacity of 70.5k, and assuming the west stands hold approx 25k, I'd guess there were about 5k there. The situation was very fluid as people could come and go freely. Only the west stands were open, and I noticed that many of the pics were taken from the west side, with the empty sections of the stadium in the background. Attendance peaked at about 2pm, when the scrimmage portion of the practice began.

Barta better get his act together. KF: great man, above average development of existing talent, down to earth, probably a great father....boring, uninspiring, ultra-conservative, cautious, old school, did I say uninspiring. Wins are down, donations are down, ticket sales are down, recruiting is treading water(could go either way), a very high percentage of fans are frustrated, media is ho hum towards Iowa. I think the writing is on the wall. Iowa better win 10 games or more to turn this malaise around.

White haired fans are dieing off, the next generation are not so much loyal, and the young generation have been told that you don't matter(here's your seats in the endzone, no reserved seats, take your $50,000 of debt and go away). It's all about tagging along on the BTN coat tails. Where in the hell is the administrations demand for excellence. Too busy being Mr. Nice Guy. Barta needs to go. KF needs to retire if he can't get us to 10 wins.

Hate to say it, but look at Nebraska. They are not happy with 9 wins. They fire their coach over 9 wins. Next coach in! Oh, by the way, 70,000+ fans show up for a spring game. They expect winning. Unfortunately, Iowa does not.

Barta better get his act together. KF: great man, above average development of existing talent, down to earth, probably a great father....boring, uninspiring, ultra-conservative, cautious, old school, did I say uninspiring. Wins are down, donations are down, ticket sales are down, recruiting is treading water(could go either way), a very high percentage of fans are frustrated, media is ho hum towards Iowa. I think the writing is on the wall. Iowa better win 10 games or more to turn this malaise around.

White haired fans are dieing off, the next generation are not so much loyal, and the young generation have been told that you don't matter(here's your seats in the endzone, no reserved seats, take your $50,000 of debt and go away). It's all about tagging along on the BTN coat tails. Where in the hell is the administrations demand for excellence. Too busy being Mr. Nice Guy. Barta needs to go. KF needs to retire if he can't get us to 10 wins.

Hate to say it, but look at Nebraska. They are not happy with 9 wins. They fire their coach over 9 wins. Next coach in! Oh, by the way, 70,000+ fans show up for a spring game. They expect winning. Unfortunately, Iowa does not.
Just a guess, but I bet the major reason was that the new and improved tailgating rules don't take affect until next fall and that truly hindered attendance

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There were far more than 800 -1000. As has been said, people came and went. We didn't get there till 1:30 and there were at least 2000 at that time. And, people were already leaving as we went in.

I don't know if there were 8000 total for the day, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was close.

Was it the same people coming and going (indecisive on whether to stick it out or go home)? Maybe the marching band was holding practice and that was more exciting to some?

I was there (arrived late) and the count was definitely higher than those early photos might suggest. I'd say 3,000 to 5,000 seems realistic .... people came and left, and people were inside the stadium buying refreshments as well. Man, it was cold and raining hard an hour before the game before it stopped. Lots of "on the fence" decisions were made at that point. It was a crappy day for any sporting event short of an actual game where money has been shelled out.

Spring game is basically a boring spring scrimmage with coaches working on fundamentals and trying not to get anybody hurt. If fans want a better spring scrimmage or game then Iowa should have a controlled spring game against a Wisconsin, Illinois, or even a ISU. It wouldn't be 11 Iowa players going against 11 Iowa players and would give a more realistic idea of where Iowa really stands this time of the year.

Spring game is basically a boring spring scrimmage with coaches working on fundamentals and trying not to get anybody hurt. If fans want a better spring scrimmage or game then Iowa should have a controlled spring game against a Wisconsin, Illinois, or even a ISU. It wouldn't be 11 Iowa players going against 11 Iowa players and would give a more realistic idea of where Iowa really stands this time of the year.

First I don't think you can bring in another team for a controlled spring scrimmage. I've never seen it done and can't imagine another team would spend the money to travel. Second, a scrimmage against a team later on the schedule? Laughable.

Great idea, we play ISU in a spring game. Then it frees up the schedule so we have flexibility.

AR-150429748.jpg&MaxW=995&MaxH=500

Reactions: Ycusi
Nebbie 74,000. Hawks 800. Way to go KF!

Bottom line: KF's comments over the last several years are alienating fans. He comes across as smug.

Of the more telling things he said was something like, "Myself and the players are more invested than anyone." Well ... no crap KF ... the problem is that this not the issue.

The team is not good and all that matters now is whether or not Iowa wins in the Fall.

People can predict all they want ... talk about how much they love Iowa football ... and on and on.
All that matters is whether or not he can get this team to win.

And Nebraska had @ 76K at theirs. ..

How many people that have commented actually went to the spring game? I did. If you complain about attendance, but didn't show up yourself....well that's just not very smart is it?

How many people that have commented actually went to the spring game? I did. If you complain about attendance, but didn't show up yourself....well that's just not very smart is it?

Not sure how good your critical thinking skills are after reading this. People in the thread are not being critical of fans not attending the DSM practice or IC scrimmage, they are being critical of the direction of the football program which is leading to very little excitement for this upcoming season.

FWIW - Went to the DSM practice, wasn't thrilled with what I saw.

Reactions: MTHawkeyes43
Not sure how good your critical thinking skills are after reading this. People in the thread are not being critical of fans not attending the DSM practice or IC scrimmage, they are being critical of the direction of the football program which is leading to very little excitement for this upcoming season.

FWIW - Went to the DSM practice, wasn't thrilled with what I saw.
Oh, so we only support the Hawks when they're doing well? Aren't we just a fair weather fan base. And if you read several of the posts comparing the two practices, improvement is a common theme from everyone. My critical thinking skills are just fine thanks.

Oh, so we only support the Hawks when they're doing well? Aren't we just a fair weather fan base. And if you read several of the posts comparing the two practices, improvement is a common theme from everyone. My critical thinking skills are just fine thanks.
Nope, pretty clear they are not.

No, they are not.

strong argument and rebuttal guys
Honestly, I'm not going to waste anymore of my Saturday trying to explain this to you. Please reread the thread from the beginning and then reread your post. It was a complete swing and a miss and showed you completely missed the theme of the thread and posted something completely irrelevant to the subject. Deep down I know that if you reread the thread you are capable of realizing where you went astray. Good luck, I'm going to fix myself another drink.

Fans go to athletic events to have fun. Fans are not having fun watching Iowa football. I can't blame KIrk Ferenz for this although it would help if we won more. When college football became a national sport, it hurt. I remember a sportswriter named Al Grady for the Iowa Press Citizen, he would write a detailed article about Iowa playing Purdue in the late sixties. Iowa was winning about 2 games a year and Purdue about 6. Grady recognized that Iowa was our team, and this was the game of the week. With twitter, ESPN, BTN, considering Iowa football irrelevant, young students go along with the national media and are less interested, and do not identify with Iowa.

Ah, heck.............whats an zero really say.........?

30,000 at an Iowa spring game? huh............I'll be darned. And, I don't think so. Went to plenty of them, never saw that many.

Z

I went to plenty of spring games from the late 80's through the late 90's and I am sure there were at least 25-30,000 at several of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT