ADVERTISEMENT

8 former Hawkeyes sue the university and ask for Ferentz firing

I find it very interesting that they completely backed off the financial demand in the lawsuit. Lawyers on the board, is that normal to do, or a sign perhaps that their case isn't superstrong?

Bunch of bluffs from what I can tell so far. They are begging for a buyout. They came out with the demand letter and now they are saying are you sure you don't want to settle or we will for real bring a lawsuit this time.

Bunch of bluffs from what I can tell so far. They are begging for a buyout. They came out with the demand letter and now they are saying are you sure you don't want to settle or we will for real bring a lawsuit this time.
LOL, but made sure to include that they're definitely ok with revisiting the settlement once the suit is brought.

Reactions: His Hawkness
Mark should talk to a lawyer before tweeting that. That’s not the next step. They haven’t even file a lawsuit yet. That’s step #1.
It’s like these media guys are anxious to see the football team brought down a notch or two. Never mind that that would be detrimental to their careers. Never mind that there is no merit to the “lawsuit.”

It’s like these media guys are anxious to see the football team brought down a notch or two. Never mind that that would be detrimental to their careers. Never mind that there is no merit to the “lawsuit.”
Mark's just an idiot. Leistikow actually had that correct in his article.

There was no time frame provided for when the lawsuit would be filed. But once it is, the university will undoubtedly try to get it dismissed. Then, unless a settlement is reached, the discovery process would become the next step for the plaintiffs' lawyers. They certainly would depose Barta, the Ferentzes and much of the coaching staff at that point.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...inst-iowa-kirk-ferentz-gary-barta/6232852002/

I find it very interesting that they completely backed off the financial demand in the lawsuit. Lawyers on the board, is that normal to do, or a sign perhaps that their case isn't superstrong?

It is called "notice" pleading and is standard procedure in most jurisdictions. All they need to allege is that the amount in controversy exceeds the limitations of rule or statute and they are good to go. Failure to list $ damages is not a sign of strength or weakness.

Mark Emmert knows not of which he tweets. Complete disservice to his readers.

This 100 percent. My opinion. Iowa called their bluff. They tried to “recruit” more plaintiffs especially with the statute of limitations issues. Apparently failed thus far. And what is this deposing recruit crap except a threat? They are not enrolled students who have signed a LOI. They would have zero knowledge of anything alleged years ago. It is a total BS attempt to scare Iowa from losing recruits if they think they will be “deposed.” Have never been under the control/coaching of KF, BF, Wallace and/or Doyle. Total bush league threat. I would guess Aurora and David agree.

This 100 percent. My opinion. Iowa called their bluff. They tried to “recruit” more plaintiffs especially with the statute of limitations issues. Apparently failed thus far. And what is this deposing recruit crap except a threat? They are not enrolled students who have signed a LOI. They would have zero knowledge of anything alleged years ago. It is a total BS attempt to scare Iowa from losing recruits if they think they will be “deposed.” Have never been under the control/coaching of KF, BF, Wallace and/or Doyle. Total bush league threat. I would guess Aurora and David agree.

Pretty sure during the Iowa opener (and other games, too?) the announcers, when discussing Iowa's turbulent off season, said the 8 players had filed a law suit, which turns out to be not true.

Do you think they eventually do file a law suit? And only one player of the 8 could file suit, since the other 7 don't fall within the statute of limitations?

Pretty sure during the Iowa opener (and other games, too?) the announcers, when discussing Iowa's turbulent off season, said the 8 players had filed a law suit, which turns out to be not true.

Do you think they eventually do file a law suit? And only one player of the 8 could file suit, since the other 7 don't fall within the statute of limitations?

Yeah it is tiresome when people say they “sued” when all I know of (and I think Aurora has checked it) is the U has a 20m demand from 8 players and they want the football program gutted. That’s all I know. That is why my speculation is they know they have SOL issues so looking for more recent players to join in before filing. I would guess they sue but each day the case loses momentum. And to threaten to depose recruits who aren’t even enrolled? Shows not only lack of legal wisdom but also their lack of strength on the merits and a weak attempt to try and legally extort money.

Yeah it is tiresome when people say they “sued” when all I know of (and I think Aurora has checked it) is the U has a 20m demand from 8 players and they want the football program gutted. That’s all I know. That is why my speculation is they know they have SOL issues so looking for more recent players to join in before filing. I would guess they sue but each day the case loses momentum. And to threaten to depose recruits who aren’t even enrolled? Shows not only lack of legal wisdom but also their lack of strength on the merits and a weak attempt to try and legally extort money.
it does seem like extortion because they sent a demand letter saying they get what they want or they go public

extortion is a crime

does Iowa have a case for that?

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Get it dismissed on no legal grounds and walk away. Cut the cord with these guys other than to help them get their degree if that is something they want to pursue, with no access to the football facilities, coaches, or players. They should be considered persona non grata to U of I Football for the shameful actions they have taken against the program.

Again . . . there is no lawsuit. Nothing has been filed in court. Sending a demand letter threatening a lawsuit is not a lawsuit. Issuing a request pursuant to open records laws is not a lawsuit. Notifying the media that they intend to move forward with a lawsuit is not a lawsuit.

No. Lawsuit. Has. Been. Filed.

I've checked the federal court electronic docket again. There is no lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Iowa. There are no lawsuits pending where any of the former football players are named as plaintiffs and where the University of Iowa, Gary Barta or Kirk Ferentz are named defendants.

Perhaps a lawsuit will be filed this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe Friday. Who the hell knows? But . . . be certain . . . there is not a pending lawsuit filed by Solomon-Simmons or Parrish that relates to the initial demand letter.

If a lawsuit is filed, there will be a demand for monetary damages. It is not required that, in a case like this, plaintiffs ask for a specific amount.

As for Solomon-Simmons' claim that "settlement negotiations" have failed, it appears that the University has identified its settlement "offer." It was that the former players are welcome to return back to the university at any time in an effort to further their education . . . which, by the way . . . was always available to them.

I think then you would also see plenty of former players step up in the defense as well. Either to speak about specific individuals or the program in general.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
I may be wrong but it appears that this paragraph has been added to the original story:

"There was no time frame provided for when the lawsuit would be filed. But once it is, the university will undoubtedly try to get it dismissed. Then, unless a settlement is reached, the discovery process would become the next step for the plaintiffs' lawyers. They certainly would depose Barta, the Ferentzes and much of the coaching staff at that point."

Sorry @NorthDSMHawk - I hadn't seen your previous post. Mea culpa.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but it appears that this paragraph has been added to the original story:

"There was no time frame provided for when the lawsuit would be filed. But once it is, the university will undoubtedly try to get it dismissed. Then, unless a settlement is reached, the discovery process would become the next step for the plaintiffs' lawyers. They certainly would depose Barta, the Ferentzes and much of the coaching staff at that point."

Sorry @NorthDSMHawk - I hadn't seen your previous post. Mea culpa.

Aurora - you know I trust your opinions. On what grounds could they depose “recruits?” I personally think that shows how weak the case really is and nothing but a threat. Do you think a SD Fed Judge is gonna allow them to take depos of recruits who haven’t even signed yet? In my opinion as I have stated since day 1, this case is weak both factually and legally. And we all know they are trying to add people but nobody is jumping on. Can you imagine the amount of favorable witnesses who can’t speak out now but when deposed what they will say? They have the SOL, the legal hurdles and no damages. I am not saying things weren’t done wrong, but there is a difference between that and a viable lawsuit for 20m.

Aurora - you know I trust your opinions. On what grounds could they depose “recruits?” I personally think that shows how weak the case really is and nothing but a threat. Do you think a SD Fed Judge is gonna allow them to take depos of recruits who haven’t even signed yet? In my opinion as I have stated since day 1, this case is weak both factually and legally. And we all know they are trying to add people but nobody is jumping on. Can you imagine the amount of favorable witnesses who can’t speak out now but when deposed what they will say? They have the SOL, the legal hurdles and no damages. I am not saying things weren’t done wrong, but there is a difference between that and a viable lawsuit for 20m.

Quick . . . off the top of my head answer?
Based upon the allegations in the demand letter, deposing recruits would seem like a stretch.
If the lawsuit included allegations that the coaching staff defamed the former players to recruits (i.e. accused the former players of being liars), then it could open the door. I'd think that the Plaintiffs' counsel would have to possess some specific knowledge of such statements before a Court would allow Plaintiffs' counsel to "go fishing."

Quick . . . off the top of my head answer?
Based upon the allegations in the demand letter, deposing recruits would seem like a stretch.
If the lawsuit included allegations that the coaching staff defamed the former players to recruits (i.e. accused the former players of being liars), then it could open the door. I'd think that the Plaintiffs' counsel would have to possess some specific knowledge of such statements before a Court would allow Plaintiffs' counsel to "go fishing."

Maybe. But wow would that be a stretch. And be a little surprised in reality how that would come out. But who knows. I think they have much bigger issues. Like the SOL and how they can’t with the “promise” of money get more players to join. Hell we all know (leaving aside race) there were a lot of disgruntled players. Like every single team. Lack of playing time, etc. how in all this time they only accumulated 8 and even the most ardent fans maybe heard of 4. The case gets weaker by the day.

there were a couple RECENT recruits who stated that the racial stuff was what made them not commit (or decommit) to Iowa.

who knows what the coaches said to TRY and ease their concerns? maybe that is what the plaintiff's lawyer is getting at?

@AuroraHawk

Maybe. But wow would that be a stretch. And be a little surprised in reality how that would come out. But who knows. I think they have much bigger issues. Like the SOL and how they can’t with the “promise” of money get more players to join. Hell we all know (leaving aside race) there were a lot of disgruntled players. Like every single team. Lack of playing time, etc. how in all this time they only accumulated 8 and even the most ardent fans maybe heard of 4. The case gets weaker by the day.

They just need to advertise on tv like those legal firm mesothelioma commercials seeking claimants.

there were a couple RECENT recruits who stated that the racial stuff was what made them not commit (or decommit) to Iowa.

who knows what the coaches said to TRY and ease their concerns? maybe that is what the plaintiff's lawyer is getting at?

@AuroraHawk

It is no coincidence that their timing throughout this is trying to F over Iowa. You got guys from the beginning like James Daniels, Jaleel, Dez King, Carl Davis, Lomax etc. who said changes need to be made but they love Iowa and want what's best for the program and University. These 8 guys want to see the exact opposite and watch the program burn. That first guy who Wadley's mom got this summer, the used car salesman whose name I forgot, literally said his goal was to make it so no recruits of color would go to Iowa as long and KF and BF were still coaching there. Then we got this $20 million demand the week before the first game. Now this new news shortly after Iowa wins by 42 over Sparty. I guarantee prior to Iowa's bowl game this year they try and drop some other news "bomb" to try and garner headlines again if not sometime before then.

My only concern so far is that 2 position groups where you see it predominately filled by black players are at CB and RB. So far Iowa has whiffed in this class and lost 2 players most likely because of this. Oladokun and Ricky Parks. I hope this doesn't trickle over to 22'.

Looks like they got 5 more names. Only one that rings a bell is darian cooper. Guy was kept on scholarship and allowed to be around the team after injuries forced him to give up football.

I can’t wait for these loser to explain this complaint “plaintiffs were denied the benefits of a quality education and opportunities to excel while at the university of Iowa.”

The amount of advantages athletes get over the average student is astronomical. Their own building for academic help and to study. Access to tudors, advisors, help on papers, able to register for classes first and guidance on what classes and professors to take amongst other stuff.

Looks like they got 5 more names. Only one that rings a bell is darian cooper. Guy was kept on scholarship and allowed to be around the team after injuries forced him to give up football.

I can’t wait for these loser to explain this complaint “plaintiffs were denied the benefits of a quality education and opportunities to excel while at the university of Iowa.”

The amount of advantages athletes get over the average student is astronomical. Their own building for academic help and to study. Access to tudors, advisors, help on papers, able to register for classes first and guidance on what classes and professors to take amongst other stuff.

And according to Wadley, he had people doing his school work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT