ADVERTISEMENT

#8 Texas A&M getting mauled at Vanderbilt

I'm not that impressed with A&M at all.

Likewise. Losses to Mizzou and Arkansas sandwiched around the win over isu really is not impressive at all. Guess when a team is at/near the top of a conference - even when it is the SEC, said team is deemed to be worthy of high ranking.

Edit: My mistake - A & M has losses to Arkansas and now Vandy on either side of the isu win. The Aggies did not lose to Missou.

Last edited:
Assuming Vanderbilt still has that weird configuration with the benches? That always seemed to be worth a few extra points, but not sure why.

The SEC gamed the RPI system this year to try to get more teams in the tournament. They had their schools avoid scheduling really low RPI teams, even the bad SEC schools, to inflate their overall RPI. That's why some of them may be overrated.

Reactions: terrehawk
Does anyone have any "big" road wins outside of Iowa? I mean Iowa's only big road wins are @MSU & @Purdue. But my god every highly ranked team loses on the road it seems like. The tourney is going to be WIDE open this year.

The SEC gamed the RPI system this year to try to get more teams in the tournament. They had their schools avoid scheduling really low RPI teams, even the bad SEC schools, to inflate their overall RPI. That's why some of them may be overrated.
This...

I'd say the B12 schools are masters of this...case in point Texas Tech 13-8 #44 RPI and KSU 13-9 #51RPI

Texas Techs Marquee wins are 2 top 50 wins against South Dakota State and Texas
KSU has a top 50 over Texas Tech

Not really any other wins of note but they didn't really schedule any complete turds.

Just seems their RPI's are inflated a bit and in turn help inflate the rest of the B12.

WVU lost to pretty much every OOC team with a pulse....but their wins against the other inflated B12 teams have them at 13 RPI....only 3 top 50 wins TT/ISU/KU.

Just seems like the B12 is inflated every year....and every year crashes in the tourney.

By contrast the B1G has 3 major turds in Nebby (153) Minny (219) and RU (226) that essentially drag the entire conference down.

Just think the RPI has a major flaw in this regard. The b12 without the major turds...except TCU (151) can basically maintain their RPI status win or lose and the whole conference is elevated a bit.

Reactions: ryno17
Hopefully Fran has learned his lesson this year as compared to 2-3 years ago to schedule as tough of an OOC as possible. Even if you drop 4-5 games, you still likely have a 7-8 loss cushion in conference to get you in. As opposed to South Carolina who had one of the worst OOC's and may miss the tourney if they drop 2 or 3 more games (which would put them around 25-5).

The RPI can be gamed. Everyone is catching on. We need to keep scheduling tough OOC like we did this year.

I can't believe people are still bitching about our past OOC schedules. I thought McCaffery did a very good job of tailoring the appropriate schedule to the skill level of the team. He said at the very beginning that the schedule would get tougher as the team developed and it did.

I can't believe people are still bitching about our past OOC schedules. I thought McCaffery did a very good job of tailoring the appropriate schedule to the skill level of the team. He said at the very beginning that the schedule would get tougher as the team developed and it did.
I don't hear "bitching". I hear realistic discussion on how it affected the RPI. Facts are facts. It's ok to discuss it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT