ADVERTISEMENT

New Story 9.9 million viewers for Iowa-LSU

March Madness Sport GIF by NCAA Championships

That is incredible. Caitlin was a big reason.

She was the major reason. It would make sense that nil money comes pouring in to bring another star to iowas roster next year. Just don’t know what’s going to happen and if they’ll be a roster spot. Who knows if the nil deal is big enough maybe they can bring someone of talent in as a walk on.

I sense a theme. Thanks Georgia, Louisville, South Carolina and LSU for bringing attention to the women's game.

Sunday’s Iowa-Georgia NCAA women’s basketball tournament second round game averaged a 0.8 rating and 1.46 million viewers on ABC, marking the largest first or second round tournament audience on record. Ratings increased 56% and viewership 71% from South Carolina-Miami in the same window last year (0.54, 842K).

Iowa-Louisville reeled in a whopping 2.49 million viewers per Show Buzz Daily.

As a matter of fact, only the LSU-Miami Elite Eight contest failed to out-rate ESPN’s top NBA broadcast thus far this season. That contest still drew 1.89 million. (Ok, maybe no thanks LSU)

The highly anticipated matchup delivered more viewers than any non-championship game in women’s college basketball. And the Iowa-Louisiana State final on Sunday is on network TV.

I believe the NCAA will be negotiating a new TV deal for the women. LOL at trying to figure that out. If Clark's not playing, they're back to around their normal numbers.
Probably the correct answer. The interest will most likely be fleeting unfortunately. However Iowa can still use it to nail recruiting in the next couple years

Seems very unlikely, but they may have even outdrawn the mens final last night. No one seemed to care that it was happening.

I truly think a lot of the viewership gained by womens basketball took a step back in the championship game. Poor officiating, poor sportsmanship, focusing on a coach who is an attention whore, and limiting a transitional players minutes and ability to be aggressive with questionable fouls. It quickly reduced viewers from 12.6 million to 9.9 million who were disgusted. Same old women's basketball play, pound the boards get physical on defense and questionable refereeing.

Whether the NCAA wants to admit it, viewership was up because people wanted to see whether Caitlin could carry the Hawks to a championship. They wanted to see her logo threes, pinpoint passing and accuracy. They did not want ESPN announcers making a big deal out of Mulkey's wardrobe, they did not want to see Angel Reese wearing a crown as a self appointed princess and they certainly did not want to see three horrific refs. Oh well, opportunity lost.

Probably the correct answer. The interest will most likely be fleeting unfortunately. However Iowa can still use it to nail recruiting in the next couple years
Wasn't it CC herself that encouraged young ladies to commit and/or transfer to Iowa?

There's some pretty good talent even at the mid-major level - if Iowa can land a couple of big posts that battle for both offensive and defensive rebounds, watch out. Iowa needs at least one more 6'4"+ body on their roster, perhaps two, because 6'2" frontcourts just doesn't cut it anymore.

Reactions: MitchLL
Seems very unlikely, but they may have even outdrawn the mens final last night. No one seemed to care that it was happening.

Based ticket prices I'd say it's very likely that the women's final was the bigger draw...

Based ticket prices I'd say it's very likely that the women's final was the bigger draw...
People are paying to watch Caitlin. The Men's FF gets eyeballs because, y'know, tradition, but even the eventual champ UConn has a relative no-name roster.

There weren't many players in the men's tournament that can compare with Caitlin's star power. Zach Edey (mainly because he's so freakin' huge) and Brandon Miller (he's got skills on the court, but a lot of his attention comes from the things he did off it) are about the only players on the men's side that I can think of, and both of them will be going pro. It's entirely possible that Caitlin will be the biggest name in all of collegiate basketball next season.

People are paying to watch Caitlin. The Men's FF gets eyeballs because, y'know, tradition, but even the eventual champ UConn has a relative no-name roster.

There weren't many players in the men's tournament that can compare with Caitlin's star power. Zach Edey (mainly because he's so freakin' huge) and Brandon Miller (he's got skills on the court, but a lot of his attention comes from the things he did off it) are about the only players on the men's side that I can think of, and both of them will be going pro. It's entirely possible that Caitlin will be the biggest name in all of collegiate basketball next season.
She was the biggest name is collegiate basketball already this year. It was a very blah season all around in the men’s game.

With all the best mens players going NBA so early, it seems only natural that the biggest college basketball names would be the womens stars, who we get to follow for 4 years.

Reactions: blhawk
With all the best mens players going NBA so early, it seems only natural that the biggest college basketball names would be the womens stars, who we get to follow for 4 years.

Money is turning the men's game into a clone of the NBA,.. The women's game still has a collegiate feel to it where the school still matters more than the individual...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT