ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Long

WEH8ST8HAWK

HR All-American
Jan 31, 2004
Originally posted by jammenz:
Isn't this old news? Glad to hear that he's staying on the path.

HAMMERHAWK
08-27-2012, 09:13 PM
I met Andrew recently and had the opportunity to have a few in-depth
conversations with him. Andrew has turned his life over to the lord and
has been sober since his incident in State College. After all the things
I read it really surprised me that he was a genuinely humble, quiet,
kid. Andrew will be sentenced on the 30th and any prayers would be appreciated. Godspeed
young man, may your stay be short and I hope you find the strength to
follow the right path in the future.

This post was edited on 4/6 10:17 AM by jammenz[/QUOTE] What Jammenz failed to mentioned because he forgets details or tries to change them... is... that Andrew Long
was sentenced at the end of August 2012 and he was sentenced to 1-2 yrs in Centre County's Correctional Facility.
In Pennsylvania... he has to serve at the least the minimum which was a year and any infraction in jail would/could
get AL 2 yrs. After serving his time... NO one posted an update on his progress. AL is working with Teen Challenge
of the Midlands helping very troubled young people who are facing life altering issues. From their website...

If you, or someone you know is struggling with a life controlling problem, please call us today.

There is no issue too big, no life too hopeless, no addiction too strong: there is HOPE in Jesus Christ!

So AL is now helping troubled youth who went through what he went through. That's the update as of now.
It's so fulfilling to know AL has connected to a higher power rather than the bottle he found solace in before.
Bravo to Andrew Long for turning his life... into a positive one.

I really can't believe Amalone and I agree on anything but it is great to see that Andrew has turned his life around and has stayed on the right path since the incident in Pa. I am Hammerhawk on other forums and Andrew lives only about 10 miles from my home. He is truly a great young man and I wish him well in everything he does.

Andrew lives only about 10 miles from my home. He is truly a great young man and I wish him well in everything he does.

A. He has a long ways to go to be declared "truly a great young man". I hope he can stay the course and demonstrate that.

B. I hope all young men can turn their lives around. It doesn't matter whether or not I know them or how far they live from me.

Originally posted by texas twister:
Andrew lives only about 10 miles from my home. He is truly a great young man and I wish him well in everything he does.

A. He has a long ways to go to be declared "truly a great young man". I hope he can stay the course and demonstrate that.

B. I hope all young men can turn their lives around. It doesn't matter whether or not I know them or how far they live from me.
A. Do you know him? No, I didn't think so. Don't tell me he has a long way to go when you have no clue about him or where he is in his life right now. He is a great young man.

B. Not all men need to turn their lives around.

C. You sure don't know much for being a know it all.

Do I know him? Good enough to know about his problems. It was all over the boards. That isn't what I would call "truly a great young man". He may and I hope he becomes "truly a great young man"; but, he isn't there yet. Time will be the indicator.

Originally posted by texas twister:
Do I know him? Good enough to know about his problems. It was all over the boards. That isn't what I would call "truly a great young man". He may and I hope he becomes "truly a great young man"; but, he isn't there yet. Time will be the indicator.
Well his past was wrong that is for sure however; where he is at now is the situation. We all have done things that where not so good but that is also in the past.

I'm a recovering drunk so in a way know what I'm talking about Andrew has come a long ways and yes he has a long ways to go the rest of his life so forget his past what he is doing is a way to keep him sober. All he can do is take it one day at a time. It looks like he has chosen God as his higher power I wish him the best just keep on doing what you are Andrew God will not let u down.

Originally posted by buf87:
Would he have eligibility left at the NAIA level?
Not sure if he does or not but if he does I would expect to see him at Grand View in the near future.

I created a thread on BWI's Wrestling Room to give our readers there an update on Andrew Long. It's best just to read the thread if you're interested in the change that has taken place in Andrew. Please do. I'll link the thread and you'll see that Andrew has come a long way since his incarceration in Pennsylvania and his release. It's a testimony to the grit Penn State fans saw in him on the mat. I'm thrilled to say I scored two of his matches at the 2011 NCAA National Tourney. Andrew Long was dynamic wrestler... always wrestling with tenacity and a will to win. I missed him wrestling his last year at Penn State and wonder to this day where he would have finished. Andrew has taken a big leap forward and as WE8 discussed on HR... has become a person people would be impressed with now.

LINK TO THREAD BELOW:

Update on Andrew Long

It is great to hear that a young man has made a turn for the better and appears to staying the course. Good for him, I am sure it is not an easy road, but he will be far better for having taken it.

Originally posted by HAWKMANN:
Not sure if he does or not but if he does I would expect to see him at Grand View in the near future.
No eligibility left. Once the "clock starts" on eligibility, you have five years to compete in four.

That is an NCAA rule not an NAIA rule. If he wanted to wrestle at Grand View he would probably have 2 years left. I don't believe he has any interest in wrestling but I will ask him next time I see him.

Wasn't Eric Thompson's D1 eligibility up and he still wrestle a couple years at Grand View. No idea if Andrew is interested. But glad he is getting his life together. He was so much fun to watch wrestle.

Originally posted by hawks_82:

Originally posted by HAWKMANN:

No eligibility left. Once the "clock starts" on eligibility, you have five years to compete in four.
False.

He could likely enroll at DIII Elmhurst/Steve Marianetti (McIlravy nemesis)....they had a guy a couple years ago inserted into the lineup for his senior year go on and win the national title. That kids was in all types of trouble at Oklahoma State and a few other places before enrolling at Elmhurst...don't know his age but I think it was his 5th or 6th year from when the eligibility clock started ticking.

Originally posted by wamachie:

He could likely enroll at DIII Elmhurst/Steve Marianetti (McIlravy nemesis)....they had a guy a couple years ago inserted into the lineup for his senior year go on and win the national title. That kids was in all types of trouble at Oklahoma State and a few other places before enrolling at Elmhurst...don't know his age but I think it was his 5th or 6th year from when the eligibility clock started ticking.
Didnt Mike Benefiel do that? IIRC thats was his name?

It all depends on how many semsesters you are enrolled as a full time student... Except Div. I. Once you enroll full time your div. I clock runs for five years. Other division clocks start and stop.

Originally posted by Ihawkd9times:

Didnt Mike Benefiel do that? IIRC thats was his name?
I believe you are correct.

That's nothing. Justin Decker wrestled at Upper Iowa some 10+ years after wrestling at Iowa.

Long is going to have to do a lot of changing before he should ever be called a great young man. What a joke of a statement.

Originally posted by winwithdignity:

Long is going to have to do a lot of changing before he should ever be called a great young man. What a joke of a statement.
He hasn't had a drink since the night in State College. He now helps kids that are high risk. I stand by what I said.

Tell us about all the great things you do your highness.

This post was edited on 4/14 8:31 PM by WEH8ST8HAWK

I also have heard nothing but good things about Andrew. Seems to have found the right path.

Originally posted by WEH8ST8HAWK:

He hasn't had a drink since the night in State College. He now helps kids that are high risk. I stand by what I said.

Andrew Long now works with kids that are at high risk of getting in jail or dying. I'd have to say that is highly
commendable. I'll stand with WEH8ST8HAWK and say he's turned a big negative into a huge positive
in many peoples lives. He's touched many peoples life he never knew. Who's life have you touched winwithdignity
as in ever?

I'll stand side by side with WEH8 and say he's turned into a very commendable young man who has found his
calling. What he did on a mat can be considered great. His life certainly veered... but even his accuser begged
for leniency understanding the struggles Andrew was going through. Take the starch out of your tone. Your
ignorance is apparent on the subject. Andrew Long has done much changing and is changing the lives of others
now as he reaches for a higher purpose. Piss off with your ignorant statement. The Joke.. is on you... for NOT
knowing any facts or lending that you know any facts on Andrew Long's changes or knew that these drastic changes had occurred. Why speak on the subject when you didn't know. Had no CLUE? Ignorant... isn't it?

Commenting about a person you surely are clueless about... today.
This post was edited on 4/14 9:45 PM by amalone

I want to commend you for taking this stand WE8. I stand beside you in how you feel and agree wholeheartedly.
Don't judge a young man for one action. At least stand to see the totality of his work.

d9be26dc0947fe8ba15e7673b424daf6.jpg

This post was edited on 4/14 9:38 PM by amalone

Now Amalone this time I can fully agree with you !00%.
My own personal life being a drunk for almost 25 years not proud of what I did but thanks for some help and made amends to those that I had hurt in that time and staying sober now for 37 years however; I'm what they call still a drunk just one drink from another drunk.
These people that believe or feel they are higher or better than others should get off there high horse is all I have to say.
I know Andrew has a long road ahead of him however; he is on the right track and if he keeps his faith in and with God he will help more young people than any of us could imagine.

This is really great news. I appreciate reading of the transformation. Can someone actually put the months/years to how long he has been helping others in this capacity?

A big thanks should go out to Cael for helping Andrew reach rock bottom and be put in prison.

Without Cael, Andrew would have just been forced to follow the help and guidelines that the Iowa State staff had put in place to try and help Andrew. It may have just worked if he wasnt bailed out of looking in the mirror at the last minute by a coach in need of a 133 pounder to win a title.

But luckily Cael intervened and allowed Andrew to escape his problems and keep spiraling downhill and fultimatly prison.

But hey, Cael kept visiting him in prison. What a great guy! If only he was more proactive than retroactive. But that wouldnt have won a title!

IHawk...sometimes I think you are really smart, enjoy your posts, but then you go full retard on me. C'mon on bro...

IHawkd9times.. You should have thought 10 times before you posted the same exact message you posted when Andrew was in the midst of his legal troubles. Same Cael Sanderson hate spewing garbage from you and your incessant WTF messages that include Cael. He's beloved by Penn State fans in every way, yet you have a bone of contention that has no body it came from. Hmmmm???

Hate Cael much? Something tells me your hated him most between 2011-2014. You don't have to tell me if I'm right.

He has been in Colfax at Teen Challenge for a year give or take.
Assuming this is true, this is an absolute great place for him, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was turning things around.

I fully support what AL is doing but being in recovery is a process and Andrew is still in the honeymoon period and will have many choices ahead of him. Sometimes it takes prison to "WAKEUP". I am glad Andrew chose this path and I hope he stays with it. I am speaking from experience because I have been. Does this make me a "great young man"? To some it might and to some it may not, this is in the eye of the beholder. I work with veterans daily and I am doing what makes me happy and I hope Andrew is doing the same.

Originally posted by hawks_82:

He has been in Colfax at Teen Challenge for a year give or take.
Assuming this is true, this is an absolute great place for him, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was turning things around.
It is true. He was also there getting his life in order before he was incarcerated. Great kid working with great people and a great organization. I will also say this, I would love to have him train my son and am going to see if he is interested.

Re: Andrew Long Amalone

Hate to say it it, but IHawk is totally correct. Cael interfered with ISU getting the help that Andrew needed at that time. Andrew needed rehab then! He should not have been wrestling until he got his problem under control. Instead he became eligible to wrestle with no consequences. There were many reports at that time that Andrew was still troubled and still drinking big time while wrestling at PSU.

Originally posted by thom67:
Hate to say it it, but IHawk is totally correct. Cael interfered with ISU getting the help that Andrew needed at that time. Andrew needed rehab then! He should not have been wrestling until he got his problem under control. Instead he became eligible to wrestle with no consequences. There were many reports at that time that Andrew was still troubled and still drinking big time while wrestling at PSU.

Yep Cael screwed the kid over because he was at a need weight and he got a title out of it. I hope he keeps clean.

Originally posted by thom67:
I don't know the particulars of Andrew's drinking problem but Cael didn't attempt rape...Long did. Who knew if rehab would have even worked at that point? No matter who is trying to help, some are determined to hit bottom all on their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT