ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony F enrolled?

Cali looks good. I think these are toss ups. Will see pretty soon though.
He needs more offense that isn't related to a duck or a boot. Guys are catching on to that and he will be hard pressed to make a living vs really high end guys. He's fast and he's strong which are important but needs to diversify his neutral game and get better on the mat.

He needs more offense that isn't related to a duck or a boot. Guys are catching on to that and he will be hard pressed to make a living vs really high end guys. He's fast and he's strong which are important but needs to diversify his neutral game and get better on the mat.
well said.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Kennedy May cut to 157 next year

What if Kennedy all-Americans at 174 this year, that makes it every bit as confusing as this season. Granted PK only has himself to blame if he ends up the odd man out because of his own suspension and then losing head to head at Soldier Salute. Not sure Caliendo even comes to Iowa without that happening. But maybe Caliendo can go 157, he had Franek around his whole career so it wasn't really an option and I found an older interview with him where he credited Franek for kicking his butt in practice regularly and making him better. Maybe he wanted 157 and just couldn't beat him for the spot.

Reactions: CatCoach
What if Kennedy all-Americans at 174 this year, that makes it every bit as confusing as this season. Granted PK only has himself to blame if he ends up the odd man out because of his own suspension and then losing head to head at Soldier Salute. Not sure Caliendo even comes to Iowa without that happening. But maybe Caliendo can go 157, he had Franek around his whole career so it wasn't really an option and I found an older interview with him where he credited Franek for kicking his butt in practice regularly and making him better. Maybe he wanted 157 and just couldn't beat him for the spot.
You guys are really serious about arranging the line up to get PK in the mix, eh?

Reactions: 12tdsaw
I don't follow wrestling as much as others on this site, but I've watched every Iowa match the last few years and know all the major players in college wrestling. So, can Caliendo win a natty? He has looked so damn impressive lately.
Would love to agree about him looking so damn impressive...but, so damn impressive would have been getting another TD these last two meets to get bonus points. And then there's still the Carr factor. As god as Carr and KOT are, and as good as Mes looks I just don't see it in the cards for Caliendo to win it all. I like watching him and he's super quick, as we saw against PK, but I don't see him having anything for Carr, KOT and even Mes, the way he took apart Amine. I'm looking forward to seeing how he looks against PSU, Okie St, Wisc and Mich 65 pounders.

Would love to agree about him looking so damn impressive...but, so damn impressive would have been getting another TD these last two meets to get bonus points. And then there's still the Carr factor. As god as Carr and KOT are, and as good as Mes looks I just don't see it in the cards for Caliendo to win it all. I like watching him and he's super quick, as we saw against PK, but I don't see him having anything for Carr, KOT and even Mes, the way he took apart Amine. I'm looking forward to seeing how he looks against PSU, Okie St, Wisc and Mich 65 pounders.
Caliendo should be the baseline for us, imo. He probably won’t win a title but has the tools to be in the mix. I don’t see PK having the tools to go further than low AA. That shouldn’t be the baseline for filling a spot, imo. That’s a hole, imo.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Caliendo should be the baseline for us, imo. He probably won’t win a title but has the tools to be in the mix. I don’t see PK having the tools to go further than low AA. That shouldn’t be the baseline for filling a spot, imo. That’s a hole, imo.
Cali is young, and I already see his ceiling higher than pks. Idk if Cali will ever win one but I think he will end up on the podium multiple times, pk idk if he ever will

Reactions: el dub
I say this as someone with 0 inside information and no idea how plausible either scenario is.
All I know is, in my opinion, our best lineup next year would be PK and Caliendo taking 157 and 165 in either order
Everything I've ever heard is that PK is a true 165 and cannot make 157, so my hope is that Caliendo can instead be the one who goes 157.
However, the eye test to me shows that Caliendo is more 165 than PK and so if PK can't make it, then Caliendo can't. So it doesn't seem likely that our best lineup is Mikey at 157 and PK at 165

So the hope/question is, can either of them actually go 157, and if so, is it a legit cut where they would be effective, or would it be a sacrifice for the team and we shouldn't expect much
What if Caliendo is happy where he is? What if GA wants to go at 174? Why not find a 157er who can make some noise in March?

Last edited:
I don't follow wrestling as much as others on this site, but I've watched every Iowa match the last few years and know all the major players in college wrestling. So, can Caliendo win a natty? He has looked so damn impressive lately.
This year, almost certainly no, but that’s because 165 is by far the hardest class. Two time defending champ Keegan O’Toole sits at the top with former champ David Carr second. Defending B1G champ Dean Hamiti of Wisconsin, Izzy Olenik of Ok St, and Penn State superfrosh Mitch Mesenbrink are all good enough to be national champs as well if they all weren’t in the same class. It’s a major achievement just to be an AA at 165 this year, and Caliendo is clearly a favorite to do that.

What if Caliendo is happy where he is? What if GA wants to go at 174? Why not find a 157er who can make some noise in March?
I agree 100% with this. I do feel that everyone should go to the weight where they think they will be the most successful individually. This should be the priority. All I meant is that if it works out that one of PK/Caliendo can make 157 effectively and they feel that is their best weight and want to go there, I'd love to see it.

I agree 100% with this. I do feel that everyone should go to the weight where they think they will be the most successful individually. This should be the priority. All I meant is that if it works out that one of PK/Caliendo can make 157 effectively and they feel that is their best weight and want to go there, I'd love to see it.
Right on. It seems to me like Caliendo could have went 157 this season…. if he wanted to. We need to stop patching holes, imo.

Reactions: sstark46
I agree that low AA should definitely NOT be the standard. That said I’m really curious to see how both PK and Caliendo do against the guys that I see contending for top 3 at 65 and 74. Like you alluded to, that should be the standard. I want to see Caliendo get a few more TDs; he clearly has the speed and ability. And I want to see what PK has for the big dogs.

I agree that low AA should definitely NOT be the standard. That said I’m really curious to see how both PK and Caliendo do against the guys that I see contending for top 3 at 65 and 74. Like you alluded to, that should be the standard. I want to see Caliendo get a few more TDs; he clearly has the speed and ability. And I want to see what PK has for the big dogs.
PK gets #3 this weekend, we will see where he stands with the big dogs.

Kaleb Young did the exact same thing
I was very impressed with KY and his sacrifice he made for 5 yrs. He looked so sucked down his whole career. Great athlete, student and character. Just kept head down and fought thru it. I think the weight cut held him back from full potential. Had a very good career but imo would of been better at 165.

I was very impressed with KY and his sacrifice he made for 5 yrs. He looked so sucked down his whole career. Great athlete, student and character. Just kept head down and fought thru it. I think the weight cut held him back from full potential. Had a very good career but imo would have been better at 165.
I would have felt better if he didn’t have to make that sacrifice and we had a hammer at that weight for all those years.

Caliendo and Kennedy certified 157 this year. Kennedy can't beat Caliendo or Arnold. Unless he fixes that he will be wherever those 2 decide not to go. My bet is 157.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
So can anyone go in and workout in the Iowa wrestling room? That’s a serious question as idk, he’s not enrolled, not a graduate, not on the hwc so how’s that work?

So can anyone go in and workout in the Iowa wrestling room? That’s a serious question as idk, he’s not enrolled, not a graduate, not on the hwc so how’s that work?
Who knows how old this clip actually is. Is Swafford still working out in the room. Why would he?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT