ADVERTISEMENT

Any good news coming?

You do realize that percentage basically means everyone but PSU, right? I know most of you have been so ridiculously spoiled as fans that 1st is the only expectation, but the sky truly isn’t falling like many are claiming. PSU has simply raised the sky by a significant margin…
Over how many years? Are we being selective in stats.

Over how many years? Are we being selective in stats.
Over the 17 years Brands has coached Iowa. Of the 6 other teams that are close to Iowa going into this season, Iowa is 81-8 if you don’t count the very first year,and still 85-10 if you do, at NCAA’s. Other than 2007, tOSU is the ONLY team to finish ahead of Iowa at NCAA’s more than once and Iowa is still 11-5 against them.

Hell, if you even go recent, the last 4 years Iowa was the clear number one when Covid shut it all down. They won it the next year. Took 3rd with a bunch of injuries and then took 2nd last year.

Meanwhile, OkState and Minnesota have fallen off the grid. Yes, a lot of what just happened sucks. But, they are still more than capable of beating everyone else and weren’t going to beat PSU even if the Ferraris and Chittums all stayed, held hands and sang Kumbaya…

Over the 17 years Brands has coached Iowa. Of the 6 other teams that are close to Iowa going into this season, Iowa is 81-8 if you don’t count the very first year,and still 85-10 if you do, at NCAA’s. Other than 2007, tOSU is the ONLY team to finish ahead of Iowa at NCAA’s more than once and Iowa is still 11-5 against them.

Hell, if you even go recent, the last 4 years Iowa was the clear number one when Covid shut it all down. They won it the next year. Took 3rd with a bunch of injuries and then took 2nd last year.

Meanwhile, OkState and Minnesota have fallen off the grid. Yes, a lot of what just happened sucks. But, they are still more than capable of beating everyone else and weren’t going to beat PSU even if the Ferraris and Chittums all stayed, held hands and sang Kumbaya…
Wrestleknownothing on intermat put together this nice little graphic of the last 14 years, throw in 2007 - 2009 for Brands and the numbers change very little. Average finish goes from 3.0 to 3.1 and average points goes from 89.4 to 89.6.
image.png.8502646f35d524fdad7b3d4adba7b032.png

Wrestleknownothing on intermat put together this nice little graphic of the last 14 years, throw in 2007 - 2009 for Brands and the numbers change very little. Average finish goes from 3.0 to 3.1 and average points goes from 89.4 to 89.6.
The funny part is the Iowa detractors like to use the 3.0 average against them whenever I say Iowa has been the clear 2nd best team under the Brands. Yet, on average NO OTHER team is even close….

The saddest part is, other than the people that died and the families and friends that lost loved ones and/or businesses, I can’t think of anyone else that got screwed over more due to Covid. Without it, Iowa almost certainly has 2 team titles and Spencer is a 4xer. Hell, Lugo had a great chance at winning it all as well.

Hell, deep down, I bet you plenty of PSU fans were quite happy that NCAA didn’t happen. They could still claim they would have won and can act like Iowa wasn’t good that year and tout 10 of the last 12, ignoring the 13th year like it didn’t even happen…

Fire them all!!! Time for change! How can anyone back these guys?!?
I didn't start wrestling until 2009-2010, most of my viewing was HS at the time (Badgerstatewrestling.com shoutout to Shane Sparks), but some of the first college matches I saw were the McDonough vs Long matches in the season, then 2010 NCAA's. I was hooked. But didn't become a true die hard fan until the next season 2010-2011. We all know how it's gone for the most part since then, but I've enjoyed every second of it along the way.

At the end of the day this 'fanship' is something most of us do for fun and love of the sport. Do I wish Iowa had a PSU dynasty going right now? Sure. But I don't lose any sleep over the fact we don't and still enjoy the team successes as they come, and feeling the heartbreak for the guys who lay it on the line for the Hawks and fall up short of their goals. Entertainment value is always high, great characters and personalities associated with the program. Drama always high. What more can you ask for from sports fandom?

The Dallas Cowboys haven't accomplished jack in the post season for years, but because of the brand they built, they are always relevant and talked about. The Lakers had a pretty bad stretch of down years post-prime Kobe and after, until they got LeBron and AD. But they're still the Lakers. I feel the same about the Hawkeyes in wrestling. Cross sport analogies are never perfect (and its pro vs college), but hopefully my point landed. For fun, PSU is the New England Patriots and Golden State Warriors in these analogies. :)

i have some good news.. we can all stop pretending @smalls103 isn’t a biased low life. he got butt hurt because someone called him out for being a hypocrite after he trashed manzona bryant on twitter. now he is smearing the hawkeye wrestling team. it’s one thing to bash this forum but to blatantly attack hawkeye wrestling on twitter is shameful.

will people finally stop acting like he is anything other than a fancy mineo?

At the end of the day this 'fanship' is something most of us do for fun and love of the sport. Do I wish Iowa had a PSU dynasty going right now? Sure. But I don't lose any sleep over the fact we don't and still enjoy the team successes as they come, and feeling the heartbreak for the guys who lay it on the line for the Hawks and fall up short of their goals. Entertainment value is always high, great characters and personalities associated with the program. Drama always high. What more can you ask for from sports fandom?

Spot on, Lax! Very well said.

I just can't believe we have gotten this low. It's harsh for sure.
Everyone wants to see us go the way of Oklahoma State rather than try to tear down the current monarchy in Penn State.

It's highly counter-productive, but you know what they say about abusive relationships (which is what the rest of college wrestling along with the media and the NCAA is in with Penn State)..................

It's just too bad, everybody wants to get in the way of Iowa having success in sports. It just boggles my f***ing mind how hard people/programs/entities push back when pressed about it.

The saddest part is, other than the people that died and the families and friends that lost loved ones and/or businesses, I can’t think of anyone else that got screwed over more due to Covid. Without it, Iowa almost certainly has 2 team titles and Spencer is a 4xer. Hell, Lugo had a great chance at winning it all as well.

Hell, deep down, I bet you plenty of PSU fans were quite happy that NCAA didn’t happen. They could still claim they would have won and can act like Iowa wasn’t good that year and tout 10 of the last 12, ignoring the 13th year like it didn’t even happen…
I've read threads on their board where they legit try to rationalize how their 4th at big 10s asses would have won that year. It wasn't happening period.

unfortunately none of that counts going forward

i have some good news.. we can all stop pretending @smalls103 isn’t a biased low life. he got butt hurt because someone called him out for being a hypocrite after he trashed manzona bryant on twitter. now he is smearing the hawkeye wrestling team. it’s one thing to bash this forum but to blatantly attack hawkeye wrestling on twitter is shameful.

I kinda hope Bryant ends up at Iowa just to piss Willie off even more

I can’t think of anyone else that got screwed over more due to Covid.
How hard did/do you think?

Off the top of my head how about:
  1. all the school age children who lost in person classroom time and are still behind; and,
  2. all the medical professionals who had to deal with death daily, and face increased risk as part of their profession.
Cancellation of the NCAA tournament pales in comparison.

Hell, deep down, I bet you plenty of PSU fans were quite happy that NCAA didn’t happen.
This is another bad take and would be a bad bet as well. The vast majority of PSU wrestling fans wanted Joseph and Hall to get their shots at additional individual championships and were left idle for three days in March just like Iowa fans. And remember how they celebrated PSU's four individual champs when Iowa did get to compete and won?

Last edited:

I would cut his ass off completely if I was the coaches. It's obvious he has been, is and will always be anti Iowa. He only hides it enough to help his personal agendas. He is in no way a professional media person from his obvious nut hugging favoritism to PSU to his frequently unprofessional presence on social media. He can bad mouth Iowa as a known and confirmed Iowa hater vs his charade as a non bias media person who bad mouths them anyway.

Spencer was wrestling at the top of his extremely high game. I would bet he would be a 4x NCAA and 1x Olympic champ right now if not for COVID.

I'm continually reminded when around here of the English Proverb "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda".

"Now " Shoulda woulda coulda, " means I'm out of time
'Cause "Shoulda woulda coulda", can't change your mind
And I wonder, wonder, wonder what I'm gonna do
"Shoulda woulda coulda" are the last words of a fool"

Reactions: TtotheL
We got even more “good” publicity from Mineomouse due to comments about Ali Regan. Apparently including from Mr Nicolls. (See twitter under Mineo) How many times this week can we shoot ourselves in the foot. We are better than this but we are making ourselves into laughing stock of college wrestling right now.

We got even more “good” publicity from Mineomouse due to comments about Ali Regan. Apparently including from Mr Nicolls. (See twitter under Mineo) How many times this week can we shoot ourselves in the foot. We are better than this but we are making ourselves into laughing stock of college wrestling right now.
I think "laughingstock of college wrestling" is a bit of overdramatization. Every team but one would probably trade places with Iowa right now. I realize we are the Sham to PSU's Secretariat right now, but tides change.

Defamation much?
His wording is pretty tricky to claim defamation. He uses the old question asking trick. And he presented publicly available information. Let's the reader draw their own conclusions.

One minor slip up may be referring to "comments" plural from a non-nobody. There was only one comment, which I agree could be interrupted a different way, especially if the 'skank' comment were not present.

Odd, I dont see the lil bro to the west in this top 10. Did @MitchL do the adding and subtracting here?

• Haha
Reactions: LaxHawk174
His wording is pretty tricky to claim defamation. He uses the old question asking trick. And he presented publicly available information. Let's the reader draw their own conclusions.

One minor slip up may be referring to "comments" plural from a non-nobody. There was only one comment, which I agree could be interrupted a different way, especially if the 'skank' comment were not present.
Willie tweeted it first and his language wasn’t nearly as careful. I hope someone grabbed a screen shot before he deleted it. I’m no lawyer but willies tweet seemed more like defamation. Of course the coward deleted it and had Mineo tweet it instead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT