ADVERTISEMENT

beat the streets

I've never really been a fan of Iowa due to the way they always come off with antics and things of that nature with that being said I got the chance to meet metcalf, terry brands and tony Ramos and they have definitely proved that fact wrong they were absolute class acts and very friendly

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I've never really been a fan of Iowa due to the way they always come off with antics and things of that nature with that being said I got the chance to meet metcalf, terry brands and tony Ramos and they have definitely proved that fact wrong they were absolute class acts and very friendly

Just like the Cuban team has its political minders, Iowa had sign a contract with USA wrestling allowing USA wrestling to attach electrodes to their balls if they got out of hand. It's why Terry Brands wasn't jumping around or challenging the Cuban coaches to fight. Tony could do the stare, he just had to add a wink. Finally, Metcalf promised not to wrestle through the whistle. When the other guy inevitably gives up at with ten seconds left, Metcalf had to agree not to do something totally douchey like take a shot and score more points....Stuff like that. The whole Iowa, near the edge push out thing has taken care of itself in freestyle, though.

Well, imagine that. Turns out stereotypes aren't always true. Shocker.

When the lights are on and the competition begins the great ones seem to take on a different personality. I don't think you can totally judge a person by how they act when they are in the heat of the battle. I am guessing that nywrestler has figured that out now.

On another note,I was impressed with the way Metcalf came right back to his shot after he got countered by the cuban. He waited a total of about 1 second to retake the same shot and then he scored and got a gut to really put the match out of reach. No lack of confidence there.

In Ramos' match, the Cuban was very impressive. That kind of flexibility is beyond my ability to even dream of having. Tony kept coming, but did not have the answer yet to the cuban.

I thought Taylor looked good and I am thinking that Herbert will never beat that Cuban. If they were wrestling still, I do not think Jake would have a takedown yet.

Of course JB is the beast and he looks like he is wrestling a high school kid out there, the way he hits different scoring moves and then just suddenly pinned the guy. What a great ambassador for the sport. How does a guy get that good?

I haven't got a chance to see any matches. How did Ramos' guy score all of his points?

I swear NBC was giving Taylor a handjobbefore and after his match. Their lead in to the broadcast was all about Taylor and Burroughs. Taylor hasn't accomplished a damn thing internationally, and frankly isn't worth air time compared to Burroughs and Metcalf.

I swear NBC was giving Taylor a handjobbefore and after his match. Their lead in to the broadcast was all about Taylor and Burroughs. Taylor hasn't accomplished a damn thing internationally, and frankly isn't worth air time compared to Burroughs and Metcalf.

Yes, he hasn't accomplished much internationally. Just beat world ranked #3 in Azcuy. Beat World Bronze Hasanov last year. Bronze at the World University Games. Won US Open, finalist in 2014. 5th at Dogu this year. One year out of college.

Yes, I guess if you compare him to Burroughs his resume looks thin. Whose isn't?

Give it a break, he doesn't wrestle for PSU anymore - he represents the USA. He's great for wrestling as he's a rock star to thousands of young wrestlers. Do you think that PSU fans didn't root for Metcalf when he was at Worlds because he's from Iowa?

He got thrown a couple times his opponent was very good but I think he just had some size on Ramos as well

Actually, I think Ramos weighed in at 66 KG and Bonne Rodriguez weighed in at 60 KG, over 10 pound advantage for Tony. Apparently the Cuban was just that much better last night.

Yes, he hasn't accomplished much internationally. Just beat world ranked #3 in Azcuy. Beat World Bronze Hasanov last year. Bronze at the World University Games. Won US Open, finalist in 2014. 5th at Dogu this year. One year out of college.

Yes, I guess if you compare him to Burroughs his resume looks thin. Whose isn't?

Give it a break, he doesn't wrestle for PSU anymore - he represents the USA. He's great for wrestling as he's a rock star to thousands of young wrestlers. Do you think that PSU fans didn't root for Metcalf when he was at Worlds because he's from Iowa?

I root for him but he needs to earn his international praise. Azcuy could hardly stand up on his bum knee. Taylor is really good but he hasn't earned that air time. The lady even acted like he was a 4 time NCAA champ. Hell they should talk about Dake more than Taylor since he has owned him when healthy.

Actually, I think Ramos weighed in at 66 KG and Bonne Rodriguez weighed in at 60 KG, over 10 pound advantage for Tony. Apparently the Cuban was just that much better last night.

Where are you getting your weigh in figures? I dispute their accuracy.

Where are you getting your weigh in figures? I dispute their accuracy.

He is right on. Here is where he is getting it from, pretty hard to dispute their accuracy:

Go to about 51:30 for Ramos-Bonne weighin. Ramos in full dress - jeans, hat, beats 66.5kg. Bonne in sweats 60kg.

He is right on. Here is where he is getting it from, pretty hard to dispute their accuracy:
Go to about 51:30 for Ramos-Bonne weighin. Ramos in full dress - jeans, hat, beats 66.5kg. Bonne in sweats 60kg.

C'mon, Ramos clearly wears 6 kg headphones! Not to mention who knows what's underneath that hat.

I haven't got a chance to see any matches. How did Ramos' guy score all of his points?
Took Tony down with a duck early and then reverse lift for 4 (fs rarity, common in greco though). Tony got to a single and treetopped it for what seemed like 30 seconds trying to finish before ref blew the action dead. Tony got to the single/treetop position once more and after not being able to finish again settled for a pushout. Tony got to the leg yet again (no treetop), was hit with a highflyer/elevator (Dylan Ness gator bacon) for 4, held on to the leg throughout as they came back up, struggled to finish for several seconds and was hit with the highflyer again for the last 4.

Tony was able to get to legs rather easily but was outscored 8-1 the three times he did get there. Has to figure out how to finish.

Despite what they weighed in at the Cuban did look like he had a larger, more powerful upperbody than Tony. I was impressed by the Cuban's flexibility/defense and also the fact he didn't concede the late td when he had the match well in hand but instead went for the high risk/high reward throw.

Reactions: dmlawdad
If a fact is proven wrong was it ever a fact to begin with?

The Cuban looked WAY bigger and stronger than Tony to the naked eye. No Way Tony weighed 13lbs more?

This is why I have often posted that the eyeball test is often counter intuitive. Lot's of time's the guy sucking more weight often appears smaller than his opponent. Physiques play a lot into it - leg and core mass is often overlooked.

That statement is total bull crap

I do however not disagree with your other point. Metcalf deserves some more love from the Media. I agree with you that Metcalf has proven a lot more internationally than Taylor. I Just think people really love the way Taylor Wrestles.. Hell even when he loses he is attacking. What Taylor did to Boroughs in their last match was impressive, even if he ended up losing. bottom Line, People are excited at how Taylor Wrestles....It is hard not to love his style. For this reason he does get more attention than he may deserve at this point.

P.S. Sure Dake is Awesome and a 4x and owns Taylor at moment But how do you get excited over his style of wrestling??

But that chick jabbering in Spanish throughout the whole dual tho... Makes me wish Robin whatshisname was there.

Reactions: dicemen99
Not sure I'd read much into the weigh ins, given Tony is in full street clothes and wearing headphones. ? shoes - can't tell.

The Cuban victor was however ranked 3rd in the world at a weight class above Tony's.

Well, imagine that. Turns out stereotypes aren't always true. Shocker.

This.

It amazes me how many make assumptions about a guy's personality, based on watching a wrestling match. More than a few Iowa wrestlers have taken heat, victims of kind of prejudiced thinking. Metcalf was a good student, with great family, had zero incidents with the law, and during wrestling matches, he was more often the recipient of a cheap shot than a guy dealing it out. He always wrestled a full match. Period.

If one listened to Terry Brands interview with Jason Bryant posted a few weeks back (I think with Steiner), I don't see how one couldn't be impressed with his being gracious and complementary to many non Iowa wrestlers, and often poking fun at himself.

Last edited:

Give it a break, indeed....go take a look at themat.com forum with a new thread called "Ramos" .... complete with ridicule and derision and tell me about PSU fans rooting for the USA guy.

Not accusing you diceman, but some of your PSU mates on themat forum are real tools.

This.

It amazes me how many make assumptions about a guy's personality, based on watching a wrestling match. More than a few Iowa wrestlers have taken heat, victims of kind of prejudiced thinking. Metcalf was a good student, with great family, had zero incidents with the law, and during wrestling matches, he was more often the recipient of a cheap shot than a guy dealing it out. He always wrestled a full match. Period.

If one listened to Terry Brands interview with Jason Bryant posted a few weeks back (I think with Steiner), I don't see how one couldn't be impressed with his being gracious and complementary to many non Iowa wrestlers, and often poking fun at himself.

Very well said. The ignorance among the Iowa haters is staggering. Sadly, it's the same kind of mentality that drives a lot of idiotic speech and behavior in our society -- people lashing out at those they fear and/or don't understand. Ignorance, pure and simple.

And as for guys representing the USA, I'd love to believe that all of the PSU, tOSU, MN, and Okie State faithful are now pulling for Brent and Tony, but that's unfortunately unrealistic.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
The Iowa hate on themat forums is laughable, at best. Most of the posts made about Iowa over there are so completely idiotic that I actually cringe when reading them. Which is a main reason I don't post there much, no use defending Iowa against a bunch of Iowa hating sheep. Almost guarantee that nobody would be happy Ramos got owned if he was from Penn State, or tOSU or anywhere but Iowa. All talking about Ramos taking over Metcalfs 'villain' role, I guess wrestling a full 7 minutes makes you a villain? Outside of his 7 minutes on the mat he was one of the most respectful, focused champs yet.

So what Ramos gives a little staredown? Its a mental game with his opponent, trying to plant a small seed of doubt before the match begins. Ramos is also genuinely nice outside of going hard in his matches. Did people forget how chippy Burroughs and Taylor got at the US Open last year? Two of the most beloved people in the sport.

Sorry for the little rant, its just a pet peeve of mine after spending many seasons reading Evans hate, Gilman hate, Ramos hate, guys who wrestle with emotion.

Edit: Spot on WWDM you beat me to it.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Never seen the message board on themat.com, and that will never change. Nothing positive would come of it, based on the many accounts I've read and heard over the years. Frankly, I can't imagine why any Iowa fan would waste his/her time on a board like that.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Never seen the message board on themat.com, and that will never change. Nothing positive would come of it, based on the many accounts I've read and heard over the years. Frankly, I can't imagine why any Iowa fan would waste his/her time on a board like that.

Well sometimes i'm craving wrestling discussion when things get a little slow around the rivals boards, so i just suck it up and try to sift through the garbage to find meaningful content. :p

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I read alittle the other day,gave me a headache.sure made me appreciate all my brothers and sister(wendy) right here. thanks everybody.

Give it a break, indeed....go take a look at themat.com forum with a new thread called "Ramos" .... complete with ridicule and derision and tell me about PSU fans rooting for the USA guy.

Not accusing you diceman, but some of your PSU mates on themat forum are real tools.

I've seen the posts on the mat and agree that some (well - it's one guy who is pretty bad) are over the top. The guy, LemonPie, is a PSU fan I think, but the others have stated they weren't when some posters called them on it. And the LemonPie guy is a tool - at least on this thread, I don't go there often enough to know his history. He's not a BWI guy - or at least the LemonPie handle isn't one.

As far as the other opinions, I'd think you would expect that Ramos is going to rub some people the wrong way. It seems as though he likes to "wear the black hat" and is comfortable with it - probably marketing himself pretty well too.

I've posted over there (my handle over there is rickybobby) - on another thread - saying Ramos is Ramos, some will love him, some will not. Even though I'm not a fan of his on the mat persona, it's good for wrestling. Some would rather there are a bunch of robots out there - not me.

As far as Metcalf, I don't get why people wouldn't like him and I think that sentiment has lessened quite a bit over the last couple of years. He is a solid, professional (I know, not a great term to use in wrestling) wrestler and seems like a hard nosed, but class act. I'm an Oliver fan as I'm from PA (about an hour from Easton), so I will root for him also, but I will not be displeased if Metcalf makes the World Team. Hope he will get a better draw and get the World Medal that his career deserves.

Right now, Ramos looks like our best option at 57kg and I will be rooting for him to medal when he represents the USA in Vegas. Of course, I will be rooting for Nico to knock him off at the Olympic Trials a few weeks after he wins his 1st National Championship in March. But whoever represents the USA - I will be pulling for to bring home a medal.

I went one time and will never go back but it is full of good laughs. Remember it takes all kinds to make the world go around!

Seriously, go who gives a shit who gets the press? DT looked outstanding last night. He's not PSU, he's an American who kicked the crap out of a Cuban and we're making excuses for the Cuban...nice.
The fact is that that weight is absolutely loaded with Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Howe, Caldwell and A. Valencia. Burroughs is on another level, not just nationally but internationally(obviously). DT was very close to knocking him off last year in a very exciting match where Burroughs beat him on a takedown in the closing seconds of the bought. DT is absolutely for real and has a ton of upside. I rooted against him when he was at PSU, but I root for him whenever he represents the USA. Whenever JB decides to leave his shoes on the mat, the USA should still be in good hands. The question about all the DT love is based purely on his exciting style. I have lots of friend who aren't wrestling fans. They see DT wrestle and they are blown away. He scores from a variety of positions and tends to have high scoring matches with big moves. If he had been at Iowa, he would have been a lot of our All time favorite Hawks. Not to pimp to PSU wrestlers in one post, but it looked like Ed Ruth should be our guy at 74kg. Herbert might be slightly technically better and has more international experience, but Ruth has more upside and raw scoring ability.

Reactions: Azchief32
Diceman, quoted below is a post from one of your main Penn State - Mat.com posters. I think you're minimizing PSU's contribution to the toxicity on the message board:

Flying-Tiger
Gold Member
Members
6,509 posts
Posted Yesterday, 09:36 PM
"Wow, Ramos signed autographs for some kids, what a humanitarian! So he deserves credit because he didn't tell them to f-off or smack them upside the head? Well maybe that's the standard used for an Iowa event but in the rest of the country it's pretty common for an athlete, even one with dubious personality traits, to sign a few autographs. Doesn't necessarily mean they are great guys. I'm sure O.J. and Aaron Hernandez signed their fair share."​

Reactions: Jaybird319
Diceman, quoted below is a post from one of your main Penn State - Mat.com posters. I think you're minimizing PSU's contribution to the toxicity on the message board:

Flying-Tiger
Gold Member
Members
6,509 posts
Posted Yesterday, 09:36 PM
"Wow, Ramos signed autographs for some kids, what a humanitarian! So he deserves credit because he didn't tell them to f-off or smack them upside the head? Well maybe that's the standard used for an Iowa event but in the rest of the country it's pretty common for an athlete, even one with dubious personality traits, to sign a few autographs. Doesn't necessarily mean they are great guys. I'm sure O.J. and Aaron Hernandez signed their fair share."​

Kind of surprised...FT is usually a respectful guy. Funny thing is how many parents and kids talk about how nice Tony is, especially at the camps. I remember watching the all star match Tony's senior year and Ramos is the only one who went through the pile of kids on the sideline giving high fives. Its not standard. Also, he gave his U.S. Open championship match singlet to some random kid after he won it. I guess FT thinks Iowa wrestler's are just a bunch of thugs. It would be fair to say that Tony got it taken to him by the Cuban but one has to wonder how many opposing fans were smirking when it happened.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
I think that some people's anti-Iowa sentiments make them conflate some of Tony's showboating (stare, flexing, etc) with dirty or thuggish behavior. Some Iowa wrestlers have pushed (and crossed) those boundaries but I can't remember Tony behaving in that manner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT