ADVERTISEMENT

Big Game Brock

It's funny to me to see so many clones celebrate him. I mean I get being happy for him, but his success in the pros is a knock on their beloved coach. Purdy regressed every year in Ames. Not to mention they had talent around him (Hall, Kolar, Hutchinson, et al). The fact that they went 7-6 in Brock's last year is a huge black eye for CMC.
so they shouldn't be happy for his success?

Not an ISU fan but I like Purdy. Seems like a great young man and is doing a good job for the 49ers. The last drive was very good since he was having an off game. He is pretty cool under pressure. I wish him the best of luck but not when he is playing the Chiefs! lol

Purdy has legitimately the best running back, full back, tight end in the nfl. He’s got two great receivers and decent o line. I’d hope he’d look good most games.
Honestly, most “great” pro QBs have been similarly equipped. “Great” QBs are the one’s who get the ball into the playmakers hands at the right time...and the last drive of the 9ers certainly showed purdy’s upside. He had a rather mediocre/ miserable game until that point...and then he proved his worth. His playmakers made plays...and he threw one really great pass where his receiver made a really great catch....but great players do that.

I don't know of anyone saying he isn't talented--he absolutely is. But at the same time, put him on the Bears or the Cardinals I'm guessing he isn't playing this weekend. He is a very solid quarterback, but there are a number of guys that I'm guessing most GMs would take before him if they were starting over from scratch.
He's very good, but made to look better by his "supporting cast"--both can be true at the same time and it's not a slight on him.

According to some here, Purdy could lead the NFL in pass completion percentage, passer rating, yardage, yardage per play...and win the Super Bowl...as a 2nd year player and first year starter...and he's "only good because of who he plays with". Just a "system" guy who's just an average player. Am I reading that right?
That does seem to be the push in the national media. I love watching him play. I think he's really good. Very quick decisions. Plays with no fear. Not scared to push it down the field. Also not scared to move around in the pocket. He never beat Iowa. There's a lot to like about Purdy.

According to some here, Purdy could lead the NFL in pass completion percentage, passer rating, yardage, yardage per play...and win the Super Bowl...as a 2nd year player and first year starter...and he's "only good because of who he plays with". Just a "system" guy who's just an average player. Am I reading that right?
No. But you are exaggerating in the clone-like way we've all come to know and "love".

"That skilled position group is stacked". As is the case with most QB's that win championships. Brady, Bradshaw, Aikmen, Montana, Young. Kind of the way these things work.
You notice how none of those guys besides Brady has won a Super Bowl this century? And Brady never had anywhere close to the stacked skill guys that Brock has. Maybe you could say he did the year with Randy Moss, but that’s it.

You notice how none of those guys besides Brady has won a Super Bowl this century? And Brady never had anywhere close to the stacked skill guys that Brock has. Maybe you could say he did the year with Randy Moss, but that’s it.
Brady wasn’t in an island. He always had Gronk…..and BB. Those 3 are certainly worthy of GOAT conversations at their respective positions/roles. No one is putting PURDY there yet.

Brady wasn’t in an island. He always had Gronk…..and BB. Those 3 are certainly worthy of GOAT conversations at their respective positions/roles. No one is putting PURDY there yet.
Brady always had Kittle caliber tight ends. Running back, he never had a Christian McCaffrey, hell no one ever has really. And I’d take San Fran receivers over every group Brady ever had, except that undefeated regular season team with Moss.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Brady had some O lines, I recall watching Brady sit in the pocket FOREVER year after year. I've not seen Purdy be able to do that.
It's not just skill players that make a difference.
Touching Brady was like a big freaking no no. His lines were stacked.
Purdy has to run for his life many games.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
It's funny to me to see so many clones celebrate him. I mean I get being happy for him, but his success in the pros is a knock on their beloved coach. Purdy regressed every year in Ames. Not to mention they had talent around him (Hall, Kolar, Hutchinson, et al). The fact that they went 7-6 in Brock's last year is a huge black eye for CMC.
So - should the success of all Hawkeyes be a knock on Ferentz? Using your logic, I can’t see how the answer is anything but yes, and I assume you celebrate their success?

So - should the success of all Hawkeyes be a knock on Ferentz? Using your logic, I can’t see how the answer is anything but yes, and I assume you celebrate their success?
Didn't read the whole thread and can appreciate his success in the pros, but can sleep at night knowing the Hawks beat him.

Brady had some O lines, I recall watching Brady sit in the pocket FOREVER year after year. I've not seen Purdy be able to do that.
Don't want to get banned but insert pic of Tom Brady's dildo. (I respect what he did on the field)

Honestly...not very many, sett. Plus, right now, Purdy is much more Mobil in the pocket than Brady ever was...and remember, Brady had knee surgery, too. Purdy has always been able to use his legs effectively to escape pocket problems. Brady to a much lesser extent. Brady’s big advantage in his career was his ability to win games late or on the games last possession.

If a player regressed under Kirk and then excelled in the NFL, yes, it would be a knock on him.

I could say worse, but I'll just say this. Why the F does it matter when those guys won the Super Bowl? The subject was, skill players surrounding a QB. When is neither here nor there!!

All of the teams in the playoffs have great skill players.
That's why Iowa is never in the playoffs.

light lights out GIF

Anyone shocked at how fast Purdy is once he commits to the run? .
Kittle, so many things he does great other than catch the ball, pancaked Hutcinson!
LaPorta, training to be the best tight end in the NFL?
Campbell, badass.

Reactions: Torg
Kittle, so many things he does great other than catch the ball, pancaked Hutcinson!
Campbell, badass.
Montgomery looked great, too. All around a really good showing for Iowa and ISU players. Another note in Purdy’s favor is he has zero support from his o-line. Kittle might actually be the best blocker he has and half the time he’s not able to block.

Honestly...not very many, sett. Plus, right now, Purdy is much more Mobil in the pocket than Brady ever was...and remember, Brady had knee surgery, too. Purdy has always been able to use his legs effectively to escape pocket problems. Brady to a much lesser extent. Brady’s big advantage in his career was his ability to win games late or on the games last possession.
Belechick is a defensive guy first and he usually always had a really good defense that would help win games

Montgomery looked great, too. All around a really good showing for Iowa and ISU players. Another note in Purdy’s favor is he has zero support from his o-line. Kittle might actually be the best blocker he has and half the time he’s not able to block.
You see Kittle pancake Aiden Hutchinson??
👀👀 drove his ass 6 feet under. Lol

Campbell, badass.
I was amazed how fast he was on a couple of those runs. He doesn’t get nearly the credit for his legs that he deserves. I’ve only watched a handful of his games but I didn’t know he could scramble like that. I was rooting for the Lions just because I always root for the underdogs but Purdy is clearly a good story as well and it’s easy to be happy for him.

Purdy could win the Super Bowl and Iowa fans will give him zero credit. It really shows who has a clue about football and who just wants to be a douche behind a keyboard.

His yards per attempts (9.6) was, by far, the best in the NFL. PFF ranked him the #7 QB in the NFL.

He is a good NFL QB.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
I actually think most Iowa fans agree he’s turned into a pretty good QB. And to be fair it took most people in the NFL awhile to catch on to that as well. I would be really interested to see where his fellow NFL players would rank him in the league. Other than the handful of really elite QBs that can go anywhere and have success, I think there are quite a few that can be successful in the right situation or fail in a bad situation and Brock is probably in that group. Look at Russell Wilson as one recent example. He went to two super bowls and then crashed and burned when he didn’t have the pieces around him. I don’t mean that as a knock on Purdy in anyway, nobody is claiming he’s the next Peyton Manning.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
I actually think most Iowa fans agree he’s turned into a pretty good QB. And to be fair it took most people in the NFL awhile to catch on to that as well. I would be really interested to see where his fellow NFL players would rank him in the league. Other than the handful of really elite QBs that can go anywhere and have success, I think there are quite a few that can be successful in the right situation or fail in a bad situation and Brock is probably in that group. Look at Russell Wilson as one recent example. He went to two super bowls and then crashed and burned when he didn’t have the pieces around him. I don’t mean that as a knock on Purdy in anyway, nobody is claiming he’s the next Peyton Manning.
There are no quartbacks in the league that could go "anywhere" and have success. You have to have a team around you.
No one is taking Carolina, Chicago, Arizona, etc... anywhere.
He's a year and a half in. Peyton sucked his first couple of years.
I'm not saying he's the next Peyton either, but no one knows at this point.

There are no quartbacks in the league that could go "anywhere" and have success. You have to have a team around you.
No one is taking Carolina, Chicago, Arizona, etc... anywhere.
He's a year and a half in. Peyton sucked his first couple of years.
I'm not saying he's the next Peyton either, but no one knows at this point.
I agree the NFL is a meat grinder and even good QBs will get chewed up if they don’t have help around them.

That said, I was just reading Russell Wilson’s Wikipedia page and it’s easy to see lots of similarities to Purdy. I had forgotten just how good his stats were in Seattle, he was arguably on his way to the Hall of Fame. But he never won an MVP and in hindsight it’s easy to wonder how much of his success was inflated by his enviable situation.

But again, that doesn’t in anyway mean that Purdy isn’t good. I thought he made some good throws today and in particular his ability to make plays with his feet are way better than I ever realized. I remember in college hearing ISU fans complain that they thought Campbell was telling him not to scramble so much and in hindsight it does seem like he should have been, but I remember him fumbling against Iowa and that was a crucial part of that game.

If he can stay healthy running that much it really makes the 49ers hard to defend given they have so many playmakers that spread the defense and the middle of the field is frequently open for a QB scramble.

Belechick is a defensive guy first and he usually always had a really good defense that would help win games
Yep...and Kirk learned how to coach from.......? In so many ways, the 2 are birds of a feather...and remember, Sabin was in that same staff at Cleveland. All 3 of those guys learned some valuable lessons at the same time in the same city.

Purdy is the next Trubisky. Not great in college, decent start in NFL with great defense and supporting cast. Then teams figure out he can't pass downfield and stop him from running. Next stage is career back up if lucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT