ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Nickal fights tonight.

I cheer for wrestlers in MMA / UFC matches because I love wrestling and I think it is great for the sport of wrestling when wrestlers have success in MMA. I understand why non-PSU wrestling fans do not like Bo given his unapologetic hyping of the PSU wrestling program. However, his cockiness and sh-t talking is common in the UFC a recipe for financial success. Bo will go as far as his chin allows him and, if he is successful, the announcers will discuss his wrestling background before each fight which, IMO, is great for our sport.
I cheer for wrestlers in MMA as well; I actually cheered on Hendricks and Askren every time they fought. I don't mind Bo for hyping the PSU program it's a good pitch for the program; its the little digs he takes at the Iowa program every once in awhile that make me think he's a tool. I'm sure as he progresses in his mma career he'll grow on me to where I start cheering for him though. The kid has a bright future; I predict a Jon Jones type career hopefully minus all the trouble.

Reactions: WPB_lion and KYHWKY
I cheer for wrestlers in MMA as well; I actually cheered on Hendricks and Askren every time they fought. I don't mind Bo for hyping the PSU program it's a good pitch for the program; its the little digs he takes at the Iowa program every once in awhile that make me think he's a tool. I'm sure as he progresses in his mma career he'll grow on me to where I start cheering for him though. The kid has a bright future; I predict a Jon Jones type career hopefully minus all the trouble.
That's bold to compare him to Jones, who is the greatest UFC fighter of all time and that's not really a topic of debate among most ppl...

I agree his future is bright but we have not seen him get punched in the face or knocked down and how he reacts to that. But, I do think he is in a division where he can climb the UFC ladder.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Again, Askren was 19-0 when he took that full-sprint flying knee that would have dropped anyone under 205 pounds. I’m sure he had been taken plenty of punches before. I know people hate Askren but let’s not pretend that was the only MMA fight of his career.
I never claimed Askren couldn't fight, but since you brought it up, he couldn''t. LOL He could wrestle, throw pitter patter punches on the ground and move around just enough to not have the fight stood up. If you ever watched him hit a heavy bag it's an embarrassment; his stand up was on par with an amateur, his submission skills never progressed past what about any wrestler could do. He fought cans in Bellator and overseas for most of those wins. His win against Robbie Lawler is about the only one that really impressed me. But one point I will agree with you on is that knee would drop just about anyone walking this earth.

Reactions: el dub
I never claimed Askren couldn't fight, but since you brought it up, he couldn''t. LOL He could wrestle, throw pitter patter punches on the ground and move around just enough to not have the fight stood up. If you ever watched him hit a heavy bag it's an embarrassment; his stand up was on par with an amateur, his submission skills never progressed past what about any wrestler could do. He fought cans in Bellator and overseas for most of those wins. His win against Robbie Lawler is about the only one that really impressed me. But one point I will agree with you on is that knee would drop just about anyone walking this earth.
Askren had his share of finishes too.
You don’t win and defend a Bellator or One FC championship fighting cans and not knowing how to fight in my opinion. You won’t convince me otherwise. You would never say a striker doesn’t know how to fight because he gets taken down and submitted before landing a strike. That happens too (see Chimaev) and is the equivalent to what happened with Askren-Masvidal.

Reactions: BGon4ND
I was embarrassed watching him hit a heavy bag as well.

As much as I'd love to hate Bo it is comical that some of the best defenses of how he sucks is about his ears. Quality cesspool there.

Anyway - the thing that has always impressed me about him is he has to be one of the most athletic wrestlers we've seen in a while, IMO. The three guys he beat for titles were legit in Dean, Martin and Moore. To continually go up weights, etc. He was just clutch.

I feel like the thing that many outsiders probably don't get currently is he doesn't look like this hulk of a dude so some MMA guys are probably thinking spanky white dude with no muscles can't be that good. He obviously has some power, leverage and awareness that is very rare. He doesn't even look cut at 185.

As much as I don't want the advertisements for PSU, him calling out Khamzat is what no other middleweight will do is impressive. I'm excited to see him take on some of the guys at the top. I think Whittaker is his toughest test and actually think he could cause problems for Isreal real soon. I'm a Hawk fan through and through, but I'll definitely be watching Bo's career and cheering him on. Sorry, I'll crawl back into my MMA fanatic hole until the season starts.

As much as I'd love to hate Bo it is comical that some of the best defenses of how he sucks is about his ears. Quality cesspool there.

Anyway - the thing that has always impressed me about him is he has to be one of the most athletic wrestlers we've seen in a while, IMO. The three guys he beat for titles were legit in Dean, Martin and Moore. To continually go up weights, etc. He was just clutch.

I feel like the thing that many outsiders probably don't get currently is he doesn't look like this hulk of a dude so some MMA guys are probably thinking spanky white dude with no muscles can't be that good. He obviously has some power, leverage and awareness that is very rare. He doesn't even look cut at 185.

As much as I don't want the advertisements for PSU, him calling out Khamzat is what no other middleweight will do is impressive. I'm excited to see him take on some of the guys at the top. I think Whittaker is his toughest test and actually think he could cause problems for Isreal real soon. I'm a Hawk fan through and through, but I'll definitely be watching Bo's career and cheering him on. Sorry, I'll crawl back into my MMA fanatic hole until the season starts.
You think Whittaker will cause problems for Adesanya? What makes you think he'll get a third shot at him? He's been handled by Adesanya twice now I believe.

You think Whittaker will cause problems for Adesanya? What makes you think he'll get a third shot at him? He's been handled by Adesanya twice now I believe.
No - Bo will cause a problem with Adesanya. Maybe not immediately but soon. Whittaker I think can cause a problem with Bo for awhile. But I’m also a Whittaker homer.

Perfect example of someone looking from the outside is going with ripped Picket over Chem lab nerd Nikal. This is a cupcake that doesn’t look like one. Nikal will make quick work again.
Nobody with contract in UFC is a cupcake, imo. If BN makes quick work of him, it’s because he’s that good this early in his career.

Last edited:
With Bo it will all come down to how well he can take a punch. Aaron Pico was/is a world class wrestler and a legit boxer. He just doesn't handle the shot to the jaw very well and we've seen how that has turned out for him. In MMA a suspect chin is a real problem. We will see soon I'm sure.

With Bo it will all come down to how well he can take a punch. Aaron Pico was/is a world class wrestler and a legit boxer. He just doesn't handle the shot to the jaw very well and we've seen how that has turned out for him. In MMA a suspect chin is a real problem. We will see soon I'm sure.
I agree with a lot you wrote.

I think there is a big difference between elite folk and free when it comes to MMA.

Folk gives experience at all 3 stages of wrestling

Free gives experience at 1. Just the take downs.

His chin is almost an allergy with Pico. Any decent shot will do it. If it wasn’t there, he dominates. What was weird with Pico is he wouldn’t use his wrestling and went toe to toe with guys. After getting knocked out twice, he finally starts to use it. Dominates the first rd of the fight but leads with a shot on legs and gets knocked out like Askren. I am guessing he got better at his transitions because he is 10-3.

Agreed with Bo. If he can take a punch, he should go a long ways. Has those long ass arms, is athletic and is real good in transitions so far.

Nobody with contract in UFC is a cupcake, imo. If BN makes quick work of him, it’s because he’s that good this early in his career.
Fair point - I should have stated that differently. Easy work for Nikal. Pickett would kill me in 20 seconds and I outweigh him!

You always have great takes.

Curious, if you could describe HR in one word, what would it be?

Pico had to injury default. His shoulder popped out with either a dislocation or a separation...doc told him it was broken. His guys in the corner try to fix it 4 or 5 times but you could see it. He was arguing for them to continue the fight but the ref called it.

That was wild, you could see him pop it in himself during the round, then his corner going ape shit trying to get it re-set with the 60 seconds they had. Tough break for him, he would have had title shot with a win.

• Sad
Reactions: Sett1997
Also curious about this. He will be very good, I’m sure. I’m going to need to see him get his jaw rocked one time in order for me to root for him though after all the shit he’s given Iowa. Brooks went out and wrestled him. He should respect that. So, post KO and meme party, I’ll root for him.

I’m not sure it will play out that way. Especially the more experience he gets’
Agree he’s unlikely to lose for a long while. I just want him rocked one good time. Don’t care if he wins the fight, just want him humbled. Then I’ll root for him.

Bo will win his next 4 fights.
I'm not a big gambler, but I did bet on his first 2 fights and I'm up $7.50.🙂
He might win all of his fights. He’s extremely talented. But…he will get tested at some point. I’m looking forward to that.

Agree he’s unlikely to lose for a long while. I just want him rocked one good time. Don’t care if he wins the fight, just want him humbled. Then I’ll root for him.
Trust me…. He gets three pieces and sodas in practice. They all get punched in the face. We just ain’t seeing it. Eeeees normal.

Strikers will know they risk getting taken down every time they throw hands with Bo. And that can affect their game. (I heard a guy admit as much after his UFC win last night.)

Hats off to anyone putting in that work every day.

What is Bo's fight moniker? I definitely think it should be "Texas Ginger Lion" or the "Ginger Nightmare". He is explosive, hope he does well, but until you see him take a solid punch nobody knows what his jaw is. Hopefully he gets his shot makes his money and gets out.

Id certainly be willing to show you 1000 more biden examples if youd like. Im sure youve seen them all like the rest of the world. Biden=joke/embarassment/unqualified/america hater-destroyer!
kind GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT