ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone explain to me: Max Bielfedt

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
What I'm looking for is WHY is he leaving Michigan? I get the how's, fifth year senior...won appeal and can play anywhere right away.

I've been reading about the where's. DePaul, Iowa State, or maybe another Big Ten team.

But I don't get the why. Michigan has an extra scholarship now that he is leaving. I've read where he would have stayed. He didn't break any team rules and did a decent job as a backup.

To me, if I'm Michigan and I'm looking for a player to take that last scholarship and a guy like Max Bielfeldt is available, I'd take him! I don't get this....

What I'm looking for is WHY is he leaving Michigan? I get the how's, fifth year senior...won appeal and can play anywhere right away.

I've been reading about the where's. DePaul, Iowa State, or maybe another Big Ten team.

But I don't get the why. Michigan has an extra scholarship now that he is leaving. I've read where he would have stayed. He didn't break any team rules and did a decent job as a backup.

To me, if I'm Michigan and I'm looking for a player to take that last scholarship and a guy like Max Bielfeldt is available, I'd take him! I don't get this....
He's like every other college player in America: He wants to play at least one season for T.J. Otzelberger.

Because he'd probably be the 4th string option at center this season. He's a good kid. But when you are 6'6" and not terribly athletic it's hard to be an impact player at center in the Big Ten. He had some decent performances against less than elite teams this past year, but as a 4th year junior he has probably already plateaued. Next year Michigan has 3 options that can likely (hopefully?) be more effective than he can. Sophomore to be Ricky Doyle was hampered by injuries last year but was still Michigan's most effective center when healthy and even took it to Frank Kaminsky for good stretches of their BTT game. RS Sophomore to be Mark Donnal was up and down but flashed an ability to knock down jumpers. Beilein is hoping/expecting him to come back stronger next season. RS Frosh DJ Wilson is a great athlete with a 7'3" wingspan that can be a difference maker and at least offer passable minutes if Doyle/Donnal can't play for some reason.

If I was Michigan's coach would I have taken him back? Probably. But I think they had both agreed to move on a while ago (Michigan "changed" his status to senior prior to the season last year) and Beilein was willing to just let him go somewhere he can actually play.

I'm surprised contenders like ISU and Indiana are interested. That's pretty shocking to me.

Because he'd probably be the 4th string option at center this season. He's a good kid. But when you are 6'6" and not terribly athletic it's hard to be an impact player at center in the Big Ten. He had some decent performances against less than elite teams this past year, but as a 4th year junior he has probably already plateaued. Next year Michigan has 3 options that can likely (hopefully?) be more effective than he can. Sophomore to be Ricky Doyle was hampered by injuries last year but was still Michigan's most effective center when healthy and even took it to Frank Kaminsky for good stretches of their BTT game. RS Sophomore to be Mark Donnal was up and down but flashed an ability to knock down jumpers. Beilein is hoping/expecting him to come back stronger next season. RS Frosh DJ Wilson is a great athlete with a 7'3" wingspan that can be a difference maker and at least offer passable minutes if Doyle/Donnal can't play for some reason.

If I was Michigan's coach would I have taken him back? Probably. But I think they had both agreed to move on a while ago (Michigan "changed" his status to senior prior to the season last year) and Beilein was willing to just let him go somewhere he can actually play.
Iowa State needs somebody to provide some depth up front. The decision of the JC kid to back out of his commitment left a hole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT