ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Borrelli to retire after NCAA Tournament

merr6267

Team MVP
Jan 18, 2016

Why is this on an Iowa board? . . . we'll he's been a good coach for a long time. I'm from Michigan and CMU has kind of been my 2nd favorite team for a while.

Also, it's been rumored that Casey Cunningham would only leave PSU to return to his alma-mater. Whether that's true remains to be be seen. I figure he'd be a shoe-in for the job if he wanted it, but is that something that would actually happen?

I've heard that a lot of the magic at PSU is due to Casey. Do I know that? Nope. I'm just an unconnected jerk on a message board. lol. I just selfishly want him to be the coach in Mt. Pleasant (not the one in Iowa, lol) as it's somewhat local and he's one of the first college wrestlers I ever rooted for.

Would removing him from PSU remove 'some' of the magic there? Dunno, I'm just spitballing and speculating. Not that I want Iowa to be better due to another team falling, but that's kind of how these cycles happen. Minnesota was the juggernaut for the early 2000s. Then it was OSU, then a battle with a few teams while tOSU rose, then of course PSU, and 2 years where Iowa climbed to the top.

It's only a few weeks until the coaching carousel kicks off. Let's hold on for the ride.

Last edited:
Maybe M* or Telford want to give being a head coach a chance. It is a decent program with a decent history and a chance to show what they can do as head coaches.

Reactions: Trapper85

Why is this on an Iowa board? . . . we'll he's been a good coach for a long time. I'm from Michigan and CMU has kind of been my 2nd favorite team for a while.

Also, it's been rumored that Casey Cunningham would only leave PSU to return to his alma-mater. Whether that's true remains to be be seen. I figure he'd be a shoe-in for the job if he wanted it, but is that something that would actually happen?

I've heard that a lot of the magic at PSU is due to Casey. Do I know that? Nope. I'm just an unconnected jerk on a message board. lol. I just selfishly want him to be the coach in Mt. Pleasant (not the one in Iowa, lol) as it's somewhat local and he's one of the first college wrestlers I ever rooted for.

Would removing him from PSU remove 'some' of the magic there? Dunno, I'm just spitballing and speculating. Not that I want Iowa to be better due to another team falling, but that's kind of how these cycles happen. Minnesota was the juggernaut for the early 2000s. Then it was OSU, then a battle with a few teams while tOSU rose, then of course PSU, and 2 years where Iowa climbed to the top.

It's only a few weeks until the coaching carousel kicks off. Let's hold on for the ride.
I hope Cunningham leaves, but I highly doubt it. That would be a good place for him to go if he didn't come here, because it would take a while to turn them into a Top 5 team from what they have now. I've always been somewhat of a Borelli/CMU fan, but they were much stronger back in Casey's day.

Not to nitpick, but Iowa won three in a row, not two. '08, 09 and 10.

I hope Cunningham leaves, but I highly doubt it. That would be a good place for him to go if he didn't come here, because it would take a while to turn them into a Top 5 team from what they have now. I've always been somewhat of a Borelli/CMU fan, but they were much stronger back in Casey's day.

Not to nitpick, but Iowa won three in a row, not two. '08, 09 and 10.

You're right, I was thinking about the most recent 2, where they got cheated out of 2020.

In my mind Iowa has won 5 titles under tom Brands.

I should have more correctly phrased it something like, "after the initial run of 3 titles, they managed to claw back another 2 years."

Reactions: TNTwrestle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT