ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Davis

Big Carl Davis is trending up big time right now... he must be dominating the Senior Bowl practices.

Link

Originally posted by hexumhawk:
Too bad he took about every other play off in a Hawkeye jersey
I don't think you really understand his job on the DL. He was VERY good this season getting into the backfield and eating up blocks. Most plays teams tried to double team him.

Carl Davis developed into a leader and I find it hard to question his motor after his sophmore year. He almost willed us to a victory against Nebraska this year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Good news for Carl.

And to clarify, the NFL isn't going to be looking for him to make a ton of plays or get a lot of sacks. His job will be to force double teams to clear up linebackers to make plays. If he can push into the backfield when he's blocked one on one he'll be very successful at the next level.

He'd be a great addition to the Cowboys in the 2nd Round. Teaming up with Hitchens once again.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:
Carl Davis developed into a leader and I find it hard to question his motor after his sophmore year. He almost willed us to a victory against Nebraska this year.

His Nebraska performance outstanding, he truly looked what many hoped he would become. That game though.......
uzi.r191677.gif

Anybody that ragged on Davis this year about his motor have no idea about football... the guy's role is to plug up the A gap and eat up space and he did that very well, can't wait to see him in the NFL

Originally posted by final_flashx:
Anybody that ragged on Davis this year about his motor have no idea about football... the guy's role is to plug up the A gap and eat up space and he did that very well, can't wait to see him in the NFL
I agree, he did very well, and that one hand stop of Gordon was awesome. Our system just doesn't really emphasize sacks really. It's more about containment.

Apparently 'you' have no idea about football. He plays the '3' tech, which in iowa's scheme means he is responsible for the strong side 'B' gap (they line up on the outside shoulder of the guard to the 'strong call'). They are taught to 'squeeze' the 'a' gap, while being able to 'plug' (in your terms) the 'B' gap. Pasat played the 1 tech which is responsible for the 'weak' side 'A' gap and it is the 1 tech that almost always takes the guard/center combo block (double team).
It just seriously kills me that people have the gall to come on here and insult people when they have nary a clue what they are talking about.
Yea, when I go to Iowa practices, I hear coach Morgan yelling, "Carl, plug the A gap, eat up space!" LOL
Oh, I forgot, everyone is entitled to their opinion. So his role was your opinion???

Carl Davis was very good this year and will be hard to replace but hopefully Johnson fulfills his potential because he can be just as good.

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
Apparently 'you' have no idea about football. He plays the '3' tech, which in iowa's scheme means he is responsible for the strong side 'B' gap (they line up on the outside shoulder of the guard to the 'strong call'). They are taught to 'squeeze' the 'a' gap, while being able to 'plug' (in your terms) the 'B' gap. Pasat played the 1 tech which is responsible for the 'weak' side 'A' gap and it is the 1 tech that almost always takes the guard/center combo block (double team).
It just seriously kills me that people have the gall to come on here and insult people when they have nary a clue what they are talking about.
Yea, when I go to Iowa practices, I hear coach Morgan yelling, "Carl, plug the A gap, eat up space!" LOL
Oh, I forgot, everyone is entitled to their opinion. So his role was your opinion???
So when Davis lined up between the Center and the Guard he was lined up wrong? NFL teams better think twice about drafting him if he doesn't even know how to line up correctly in Iowa's vanilla scheme. Obviously no one on this board really knows Carl's assignments because we don't know the defensive call every play, but we can speculate. I've seen him play both techniques.

The only person that was insulted (if you want to call it that) is the guy that said Davis took half the plays off. Are you agreeing with him that Davis was lazy and didn't do his job half the time this season?

By the way you post, I would say you more like a 12 year old girl than someone who regularly attends Iowa practices. But then again maybe that's why Iowa Football is trending downward because too many people at practice are more interested in multiple punctuations and LOL's than football.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

His Nebraska performance outstanding, he truly looked what many hoped he would become. That game though.......
uzi.r191677.gif
I bet that game keeps you up at night.

Originally posted by Bill_Callahan2.0:

uzi.r191677.gif
Your wife does that for me. LOL

Originally posted by CFNiteHawk85:

uzi.r191677.gif
Nice

Originally posted by CFNiteHawk85:

uzi.r191677.gif
Nice
Just count your stars you go the win Bill and go away.

While saying that Carl "took half the plays off" is hyperbole to the max, I can say for a fact that Carl was constantly being encouraged to flash the dominating player. He never took plays off, but he also didn't flash as consistently as he should have. I talked to an agent who was pitching to sign Carl (didn't happen) about Carl's draft position, and he said "his film is hurting him, but there are several teams that absolutely love him." He said he wouldn't be surprised if Carl went in the first round - or the third. I won't go into the details, but I'll just say that Carl became more aware of the difference between the 1st and 3rd rounds.....and his film started looking very different. That one handed stop of Gordon was highlight reel stuff for certain. Carl is a great kid and deserves great things to happen for him.

Here is a picture of how iowa usually lines up on defense. Notice Davis in the 3tech and pasat in the 1tech.
nm, can't get the picture to download...........

This post was edited on 1/24 1:02 PM by MattFoleyHawk

This post was edited on 1/24 11:03 AM by MattFoleyHawk

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:

Here is a picture of how iowa usually lines up on defense. Notice Davis in the 3tech and pasat in the 1tech.
nm, can't get the picture to download...........

This post was edited on 1/24 1:02 PM by MattFoleyHawk
This post was edited on 1/24 11:03 AM by MattFoleyHawk
inb4 five edits to post a picture.

Hmmm....believe Matt Foley or the guy who writes about these things for a living who is talking to people who watch these things for a living? What to do...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT