ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State's New Uniforms

BrotherHawkeye

HR All-American
Jul 7, 2020
ISU new uniforms
Hello Kansas City Chiefs.

Which caused me to compare other aspects of the rivalrly since Hayden started as head coach:

Uniforms - Not including the single game alternate uniforms
Iowa - 1
Iowa State - 10 (not including minor changes such as patches and lettering)

Coaches
Iowa - 2
Iowa State - 7 (not including interim coach)

Cy Hawk Series
Iowa - 30
Iowa State - 14

(Games decided by 10 points or more)
Iowa - 23
Iowa State - 5

Conference Championships
Iowa - 5
Iowa State - 0

First Round Draft Picks
Iowa - 20
Iowa State - 1

Draw your own conclusions.

This is..

The best,,,

THING......

EVER!!!!

73528398007-dsc-05701.jpg

5b8a7c0cb01ffa12be628847b0af4ad4.jpg

When you have no tradition you keep changing uniforms to make ppl get excited. Surprised they just didn’t go with a black n gold look this time

Reactions: dekhawk
I hear they are doing a throw back uniform this year for special occasions. Using the 2023 vs Iowa. (Jk)
They have no idea who or what they are.

And btw…thank you Hayden!

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
I actually like that they are throwing it back to the yellow pants. The black thing I just dont understand.

They are really missing the boat imo that they dont use this logo as it is by far their best one.

s-l1200.webp
I don't understand why every helmet they've had has to have ISU or Iowa state or Istate on them. The Cardinal cyclone was the best logo. But then they trash it with ISU .too busy.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ISU new uniforms

Which caused me to compare other aspects of the rivalrly since Hayden started as head coach:

Iowa - 1

Coaches
Iowa - 2

Cy Hawk Series
Iowa - 30
Iowa State - 14

Iowa - 23
Iowa State - 5

Conference Championships
Iowa - 5
Iowa State - 0

First Round Draft Picks
Iowa - 20
Iowa State - 1

Didn't they do this years back?

ISU new uniforms

Iowa - 1

Coaches
Iowa - 2

Cy Hawk Series
Iowa - 30
Iowa State - 14

Iowa - 23
Iowa State - 5

Conference Championships
Iowa - 5
Iowa State - 0

First Round Draft Picks
Iowa - 20
Iowa State - 1

They don't even know what the hell color of red their school color is anymore.

ISU new uniforms

Iowa - 1
Iowa has had two noticeably different uniforms and a third semi-different one in the timeframe you’re talking about. There have been other minor changes but not enough to call them an overhaul. Tim Dwight got to wear all three of those.

The “Steelers Uniform”. 1979-1993, 1999-present

The banana peel uniforms. 1994-1995

The Steelers uniform with Iowa in large lettering in the front over the number. 1996-1998

I actually like that they are throwing it back to the yellow pants. The black thing I just dont understand.

They are really missing the boat imo that they dont use this logo as it is by far their best one.

s-l1200.webp

That is a great logo. It looked best on the red helmet. In the Criner era they had guys wearing red helmets and yellow helmets at the same time.

When the product other field sux, you need gimmicks and distractions.

Coaches constantly changing uniforms seems like trying to take the microscope off the play on the field.

s-l1200.webp
Yeah that is by far their best logo, and what they should base their uniforms off of.

Don't care how "retro" it looks.....

Beat Iowa, lol

Thread got me thinking with another new uniform from clown U. Since series restarted in the late 70s with ISU wearing the ridiculous beat Iowa jerseys. Be funny to see all the different jerseys worn in defeat by isu since then.

ISU new uniforms

Iowa - 1

Coaches
Iowa - 2

Cy Hawk Series
Iowa - 30
Iowa State - 14

Iowa - 23
Iowa State - 5

Conference Championships
Iowa - 5
Iowa State - 0

First Round Draft Picks
Iowa - 20
Iowa State - 1

This looks like something straight out of the Nebraska Football Fan playbook. Good grief.

Iowa has had two noticeably different uniforms and a third semi-different one in the timeframe you’re talking about. There have been other minor changes but not enough to call them an overhaul. Tim Dwight got to wear all three of those.

The “Steelers Uniform”. 1979-1993, 1999-present

The banana peel uniforms. 1994-1995

The Steelers uniform with Iowa in large lettering in the front over the number. 1996-1998
Phil Hartman Yes GIF

I discharged the banana peel uniforms from my memory. In my count of ISU uniforms, I didn't include lettering changes. If so, it would have been more than 10. But the banana peels were different - and awful.

Not saying it should happen, but have wondered what the Iowa unis would look like if they incorporated Oregonisque wings instead of the banana peels.

This is..

The best,,,

THING......

EVER!!!!

73528398007-dsc-05701.jpg

5b8a7c0cb01ffa12be628847b0af4ad4.jpg
That, 100%, HAS to be intentional.
Being a fan of both Iowa and ISU, the variety of ISU logos actually is more fun to buy clothes for. Their 80s logos are every bit as attractive as the tigerhawk. The I-State logo is awful and the swirlybird isn’t much better.
We called it "bird in a blender" back in the day.

What's hilarious is Cy is the old red that they used before they started copying USC's uniforms and went to cardinal in 2008. Evidently updating the mascot suit hasn't been in the budget for the last 16 years. So Clone...😂
ISU-DA020DC-Cy-the-Cardinal-Single-layer-dimensional-WEB-ICON_2000x.jpg
Tbf, they have played games in their history where some of the players' helmets were entirely different colors. That's how much of a clown college they've been.

Being a fan of both Iowa and ISU, the variety of ISU logos actually is more fun to buy clothes for. Their 80s logos are every bit as attractive as the tigerhawk. The I-State logo is awful and the swirlybird isn’t much better.
I am sort of a college sports uniform snob, and a traditionalist, so I've liked looking back at some of the logos ISU has had in the past. Before we go any further though, in no part of the vast multiverse has the tigerhawk ever been merely "as" attractive (let alone less attractive) as any of ISU's logos.

Tigerhawk > ISU logos is a fixed point in all universes and timelines. I've checked............ :cool:

With that said, I am never opposed to college teams sporting the best version of their uniforms. I've often argued that Illinois' classic Chief Illiniwek logo was among the best in all of college sports and that they should go back to the helmets they had in the '90s-'00s.

With Iowa State, I think this was a mid '80s uniform, and if they could find a way to just slightly modernize this look and add the "wavy" cyclone, as shown above, to the helmet, they would have top tier uniforms in the Big 12.

fit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT