ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State's New Uniforms

I am sort of a college sports uniform snob, and a traditionalist, so I've liked looking back at some of the logos ISU has had in the past. Before we go any further though, in no part of the vast multiverse has the tigerhawk ever been merely "as" attractive (let alone less attractive) as any of ISU's logos.

Tigerhawk > ISU logos is a fixed point in all universes and timelines. I've checked............ :cool:

With that said, I am never opposed to college teams sporting the best version of their uniforms. I've often argued that Illinois' classic Chief Illiniwek logo was among the best in all of college sports and that they should go back to the helmets they had in the '90s-'00s.

With Iowa State, I think this was a mid '80s uniform, and if they could find a way to just slightly modernize this look and add the "wavy" cyclone, as shown above, to the helmet, they would have top tier uniforms in the Big 12.

fit

Those are Jim Walden uniforms. Started in 1987.

ISU new uniforms
Hello Kansas City Chiefs.

Which caused me to compare other aspects of the rivalrly since Hayden started as head coach:

Uniforms - Not including the single game alternate uniforms
Iowa - 1
Iowa State - 10 (not including minor changes such as patches and lettering)

Coaches
Iowa - 2
Iowa State - 7 (not including interim coach)

Cy Hawk Series
Iowa - 30
Iowa State - 14

(Games decided by 10 points or more)
Iowa - 23
Iowa State - 5

Conference Championships
Iowa - 5
Iowa State - 0

First Round Draft Picks
Iowa - 20
Iowa State - 1

Draw your own conclusions.
There trying to change their culture. All their missing is Patrick Mahomesandauto...

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
I love it.....Iowa Hawkeye fans ripping the Clones over uniforms, of all things.

You took the Pittsburgh Steelers look and made it your 'unique' look for a billion years. Please. Such creativity. Maybe you can schedule Kansas State and pretend they're the Dallas Cowboys.

At least the Missouri Tigers have done some unique things with those colors.

I love it.....Iowa Hawkeye fans ripping the Clones over uniforms, of all things.

You took the Pittsburgh Steelers look and made it your 'unique' look for a billion years. Please. Such creativity. Maybe you can schedule Kansas State and pretend they're the Dallas Cowboys.

Iowa is quite open about it. They literally had the Steelers send them uniforms they could copy, and they’ve had them for 45 years.

ISU will try again in three years. Probably add the Versace color of the year to pique interest.

Jelly, triggered, and butt hurt.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Nope. Not triggered. Have never lived in Iowa. Just calling it like it is from an outside perspective.

Apparently your "outside perspective" doesn't include historical knowledge of any of the above. The clones have had a running logo and uniform identity crisis for the last 40+ years. Iowa made a clear, strategic plan with a new logo and design...executed it well and leveraged the look into one of the most recognizable and enduring brands in college football.

Last edited:
I was thinking "at least they are using their school colors...."

Then I kept scrolling and found the black and whites. LOL

Nope. Not triggered. Have never lived in Iowa. Just calling it like it is from an outside perspective.

Boombox Shut Up GIF

Butt hurt alert

And for good reason.......
You took the Pittsburgh Steelers look and made it your 'unique' look for a billion years.
Thank U GIF

Please. Such creativity. Maybe you can schedule Kansas State and pretend they're the Dallas Cowboys.
We already scheduled them in 2000.

Unique doesn't always equal good............and it certainly didn't in Missouri's case.

Reactions: shudaddy

Yeah Iowa asked Pittsburgh and the owners loved the idea.

ISU new uniforms
Hello Kansas City Chiefs.

Which caused me to compare other aspects of the rivalrly since Hayden started as head coach:

Uniforms - Not including the single game alternate uniforms
Iowa - 1
Iowa State - 10 (not including minor changes such as patches and lettering)

Coaches
Iowa - 2
Iowa State - 7 (not including interim coach)

Cy Hawk Series
Iowa - 30
Iowa State - 14

(Games decided by 10 points or more)
Iowa - 23
Iowa State - 5

Conference Championships
Iowa - 5
Iowa State - 0

First Round Draft Picks
Iowa - 20
Iowa State - 1

Draw your own conclusions.
You missed the best one. The only school to lose to two G5 schools and then have delusional fans that think they will be CFP bound.

Maybe the clowns will win the leftover league. It will say a lot about how pitiful that league really is.

Tell us how it really is clown fans. Always good for a laugh.

Reactions: shudaddy
Contrary to popular opinion, Iowa State recently wearing Black unis has NOTHING to do with MCs desire to "be like Iowa"

The original colors chosen for ISU in 1891 were Black, Silver, and Gold. They changed in 1899 because (I'm paraphrasing) "it was too difficult to dye sweaters in those colors for the student-athletes" and "they wanted a more distinctive set of colors" so they changed to cardinal + gold. Google it if you want more details.

Now, back to the uniforms. I wish ISU would pick ONE and stay with it. I went to ISU in the 80's and liked what they had (albeit they were horrible teams). I like what they have now, but also like the occasional alternate unis (Black + Silver are cool - also like the Jack Trice tribute ones last year).

Todays athletes are swayed (sadly) by superficial things like uniforms. Drives me nuts, but I get what a lot of schools play this game. I like the traditional unis.

I kinda like their black and whites actually. But even with the historical background, they look like they’re trying to be someone or something they ain’t.

Reactions: stender72865
I'm not even an ISU fan. I just live next to the state of Iowa and understand that, historically and presently, ISU is world class in comparison to Iowa.
In Ag sciences, no doubt.

Apart from that, they're always ranked similarly... and have different areas of strength. Iowa has plenty of "world class" faculty and programs...says Captain Obvious.

Last edited:
What's hilarious is Cy is the old red that they used before they started copying USC's uniforms and went to cardinal in 2008. Evidently updating the mascot suit hasn't been in the budget for the last 16 years. So Clone...😂
ISU-DA020DC-Cy-the-Cardinal-Single-layer-dimensional-WEB-ICON_2000x.jpg
Does anyone know what a cardinal has to do with a cyclone??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT