ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Hilliard

I don't disagree with your point ... however, many here would marginalize Miami (OH) as simply being a MAC school that should be nothing more than a tune-up team.

Also, given how dominant of a team that the 2002 Hawks developed into ... it is rather interesting and perhaps even surprising that they would have struggled with the likes of a Miami of Ohio squad (irrespective of who their QB was).
Roethlisberger won the Super Bowl two or three years later, I think.

Are future potential starters unimportant? you don't care about next year or the following?

IOWA is a developmental program, Kirk has made that abundantly clear. It's hard to have a developmental program when the players leave before they are developed.
Unless they are a senior, the "2" on the 2-deep is the potential future starter.

computers-are-a-modern-day-version-of-brite-lites-for-idiots-a6e65.png

Iowa played Miami(OH) in both 2002 and 2003.
2002 Miami went 7-5, with Iowa winning 29-24 at Miami.
2003 Miami went 13-1, with Iowa winning 21-3 in Kinnick Stadium.

I believe that was the only game Miami of Ohio lost that year as well.
Again, you guys are trying to prove my point for me. These supposed "tune-up" teams can often be far better than folks give them credit. For example, North Dakota State may "only" be a FCS team ... but they've been making a habit of defeating FBS foes (including decent FBS foes, like Kansas State under Snyder).

Again, you guys are trying to prove my point for me. These supposed "tune-up" teams can often be far better than folks give them credit. For example, North Dakota State may "only" be a FCS team ... but they've been making a habit of defeating FBS foes (including decent FBS foes, like Kansas State under Snyder).
No, I'm agreeing with you.

Unless they are a senior, the "2" on the 2-deep is the potential future starter.

okay.....so follow me here bud....when this year is over..... what will next years 2 deep look like and could he have been in THAT future 2 deep? how about 2 years from now, how about that 2 deep?

do you understand now?

Some kids are at the wrong level despite the potential of improving. He should not have been s 3 Star and was over his head in the Iowa program. Iowa coaches do s great job of finding a place for these "misses". Good luck to Mr. Hilliard!

Some kids are at the wrong level despite the potential of improving. He should not have been s 3 Star and was over his head in the Iowa program. Iowa coaches do s great job of finding a place for these "misses". Good luck to Mr. Hilliard!
How can our coaches whif so badly on a recruit that he isn't good enough to get invited to camp? The longer this staff goes without Norm and company the more it appears Ferentz had nothing to do with the glory years. I also find it comical that posters say that misses aren't Ferentz fault since he didn't recruit the kid. The players sign with a head coach period.

I think it's the nature of the beast. I do think with the increase in evaluation camps by both the universities and Rivals there will be fewer misses. Let's face it recruiting football players is no exact science at any level. The elite schools make a bunch of mistakes as well, but they have other "more ready" athletes to replace those busts. I think Coach Ferentz is ultimately responsible only because he hires his staff. The recruiting coordinators and coaching staff are entrusted by the head coach to make good decisions. No way can Coach Ferentz evaluate 500+ recruits in our pool each year. I think their could also be more busts as everyone is signing kids in the sophomore and junior season. A lot can happen in those years.

furthermore, at the running back position we have not had the best luck in the world at this position. in 2004 we went through 7 runningbacks/fullbacks due to injury, playing Marcus Schnoor(?), a walk on, at starter out of necessity. In the 2010 season we had this "big problem" with three returning potential starters. Wegher left before the season started, Hampton tore is other acl in the arizona game and didn't play again that season, and Adam Robinson toughed out the rest of the season injured most of the time. Heck he didnt even make it to the bowl game and that is where Marcus Coker got featured in the bowl game.

Running back isn't a position where we just lose guys and get to say "oh well."

It is not a good thing to keep losing players in a developmental program. we have lost 8 players so far this year. i think it may be 9 too if what someone else mentioned is accurate. that's fully 1/10th of the goddamned team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT