ADVERTISEMENT

Clark should stay another year at Iowa.

She would also be on the same team as Aliyah Boston. Those two could dominate the league for years. It's actually a great set up for her to leave after this season because going to Indy to play with last year's rookie of the year in a place that isn't too far from home is about as good of a situation as she was ever going to get. I guess the financial ability of the club to pay both Boston and Clark the money they deserve is something that would need to be considered.

I still think a lot of this depends on how they do in the tournament this year. They have some young talent that are improving and there would be a lot to return to as well.
Boyfriend is in Indy. Big ten country so Indy businesses will throw money at her

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
Where ever the Iowa women play, it is a packed house. The WNBA games look to average about 7,000. Sure she will draw some additional fans; but, not likely a massive increase. Kansas, Missouri, and whoever else you mentioned are not in Indiana. I don't expect her appeal will be as great on the WNBA level as at Iowa. With that, endorsement money will decline. My opinion verses your opinion and that is all that we have.
Why would you think her appeal would go down? It makes no sense.

I don’t buy this. Her Gatorade, Nike, etc deals aren’t going anywhere. She will probably command more from them as a pro. Do you rly see her losing her 800k Instagram followers? I don’t.

She'll get deals wherever, whenever. But, if Iowa is deep in the tourney, won't she have to make the decision prior to the NC game? I'm not sure how that time frame matches up, but I think it affected player's decisions in previous scenarios. Could be wrong.

Where ever the Iowa women play, it is a packed house. The WNBA games look to average about 7,000. Sure she will draw some additional fans; but, not likely a massive increase. Kansas, Missouri, and whoever else you mentioned are not in Indiana. I don't expect her appeal will be as great on the WNBA level as at Iowa. With that, endorsement money will decline. My opinion verses your opinion and that is all that we have.
Nope. Her endorsements aren't just based on people who buy tickets. I've become a fan because of Clark, and I've NEVER seen her play in person. Maybe you're not aware That they now track which college players are the most followed on social media by state. are you aware that in ALL 50 states the most tracked college player in EVERY single state is the SAME person. Would you care to wager a guess on who that player is? Her name is Caitlin Clark, and more people track her stories, successes and whats going on for her etc... in ALL 50 states. Not one state is there ANY player who is more followed. Not one. Just for the record though why do you think that the following for Clark would be greater in Missouri and Kansas then in Indiana which is in the B1G footprint?

She'll get deals wherever, whenever. But, if Iowa is deep in the tourney, won't she have to make the decision prior to the NC game? I'm not sure how that time frame matches up, but I think it affected player's decisions in previous scenarios. Could be wrong.
I think the date is April 5th, and the tourney should be done by then......

"WNBA prospects must notify the league office no later than 10 days before the draft, and must renounce any remaining college eligibility to enter the draft. However, because postseason national tournaments are still ongoing during the 10 days prior to the draft, certain players who would otherwise be eligible to declare cannot do so before the standard deadline. A prospect whose team is still playing during the 10-day window must make her declaration within the 24 hours following her team's final game of the season, but no less than 3 hours before the scheduled start of the draft."

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk
Boston was still in limbo after the final 4 game... pretty sure they have like a week to decide after the tourney...

College fan base is a whole different animal. I enjoy watching college sports 10X more than pro. There are others much like me.

I agree. I think the WNBA feels Clark with bring something the sport pros hasn't had. Personality. Panache. Jordan had it. Magic had it to a lesser degree.

Nope. Her endorsements aren't just based on people who buy tickets. I've become a fan because of Clark, and I've NEVER seen her play in person. Maybe you're not aware That they now track which college players are the most followed on social media by state. are you aware that in ALL 50 states the most tracked college player in EVERY single state is the SAME person. Would you care to wager a guess on who that player is? Her name is Caitlin Clark, and more people track her stories, successes and whats going on for her etc... in ALL 50 states. Not one state is there ANY player who is more followed. Not one. Just for the record though why do you think that the following for Clark would be greater in Missouri and Kansas then in Indiana which is in the B1G footprint?
You defeated yourself and proved my point. The WNBA is not "college".

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I agree. I think the WNBA feels Clark with bring something the sport pros hasn't had. Personality. Panache. Jordan had it. Magic had it to a lesser degree.
I would argue Magic had it just as much as Jordan did, but maybe it was the Bird-Magic clash that gave it that personality. They were different eras though so it is tough to compare. Because of Magic and Bird, Jordan had a much larger platform to perform on.

"WNBA prospects must notify the league office no later than 10 days before the draft, and must renounce any remaining college eligibility to enter the draft. However, because postseason national tournaments are still ongoing during the 10 days prior to the draft, certain players who would otherwise be eligible to declare cannot do so before the standard deadline. A prospect whose team is still playing during the 10-day window must make her declaration within the 24 hours following her team's final game of the season, but no less than 3 hours before the scheduled start of the draft."
It seems like the WNBA needs to rearrange their schedule, although I suppose they want the draft before their regular season begins?

You defeated yourself and proved my point. The WNBA is not "college".
Not in anyway. This is about HER, and what she's doing to change the game, and womens place in SPORT. Not in college, but as an influencer. Here's one last point I'll add. People are having this disagreement over ONE year. and whether she should stay or go. If she goes pro, she's not going to lose what she has built in that one year, and then she'd be in the pro's anyway. Will Clark pack arenas for the WNBA? Hell I don't know, but I'll guarantee you she'll provide a boost to attendance and viewership. Do you really think all those NBA guys follow Clark because she's wearing the black and gold of the Hawkeyes, or because she's SPECIAL, and those guys know SPECIAL when they see it.

Why would you think her appeal would go down? It makes no sense.
Because it is college versus professional. The Iowa womens team's fan base is unique and I would venture a guess that it dwarfs any individual WNBA fan base. I for one thoroughly enjoy watching CC and the team as a whole. I won't spend one second (well maybe a few) watching CC once she goes to the WNBA. For one reason, she won't be the same player. Don't think for one second she will be allowed to chuck up 30 plus shots a game or routinely shoot 3's from several feet behind the line. Veterans will have none of that, nor will her opponents who will knock her down a peg every chance they get. Referees too.

Of course she will give that franchise a huge boost, at least initially. Will it last?

Because it is college versus professional. The Iowa womens team's fan base is unique and I would venture a guess that it dwarfs any individual WNBA fan base. I for one thoroughly enjoy watching CC and the team as a whole. I won't spend one second (well maybe a few) watching CC once she goes to the WNBA. For one reason, she won't be the same player. Don't think for one second she will be allowed to chuck up 30 plus shots a game or routinely shoot 3's from several feet behind the line. Veterans will have none of that, nor will her opponents who will knock her down a peg every chance they get. Referees too.

Of course she will give that franchise a huge boost, at least initially. Will it last?
She will immediately become the face of the franchise and shes the point guard who will have the ball in her hands more than anyone and it’s not close. She’ll be playing with better players obviously but you’re crazy if you think they won’t let her play her game. That’s what makes her special. As @kceasthawk says she’s not an Iowa phenomenon she’s a United States phenomenon. People aren’t flocking to see her play because of the name on the uniform. We are because we’re Iowa fans. People in 49 other states are watching her play because she’s a star.

If you think veteran professional players are going to allow someone to come in and dictate who what and where you don't truly understand the way it works. Someone will lose a job because of her and for sure others will lose endorsements because of her. Don't think it's going to be all roses for her when she goes to the league. Envy and jealousy will abound.

And I stand by it's the WNBA. A league that would not survive if not for subsidization by the NBA. She will move the needle but it won't be any way near what her impact at Iowa was.

Reactions: GRT2B1 and mpfeiler

Really? I mean REALLY? So just for shits and giggles, when MG was the NPOTY or Doyle almost, or when CVStringer was at Iowa did we sell out all the games? Most the games? Did we sell out opposing venues? Play to attendence records almost EVERY night. When we played in the final 4 did we set TV viewership records?
As for the player she will be. Do you really think they would draft her #1 and then put a leash on her? Tell her she can't shoot logo three's? Not be herself? Thats just stupid. Do you actually not think that opponents haven't been trying to "knock her down a peg"? Really? Do you watch the games when she gets mauled every night. So we played SC in the final 4 last year. The #1 undefeated BEST team in the country, with the best defense seen in years and the wizard Dawn Staley as HC and she dropped 41 points on their asses. Do you think they didn't come into that game thinking they were going to "knock her down a peg"?

Look, none of us knows for sure what will happen, but here's what we do know for a fact. The bigger the game, the bigger the challenge, she raises her game. She shows up when the lights are the brightest. Thats what stars do. People with one name. Michael, Magic, Larry, Tiger, Gretzky.... And if veteran players will "have none of that" like drafting a generational talent, and then not letting her play? Did the warriors tell Curry he couldn't shoot some of that crazy shit he does? I think not.....

College fan base is a whole different animal. I enjoy watching college sports 10X more than pro. There are others much like me.
And yet unfortunately if you follow some of the game day threads you can read posters bitching about a certain pass for example. I want her to stay. She is amazing. But there are some numb nuts that are riding the train for free and complaining about her when they see an opening. Really pathetic.
She is one in a million and I hope she stays and that is mainly selfish for myself and Iowa fans. What she has done not only in performances and stats but fundamentally driven so many to womens basketball, is absolutely amazing.

I would argue Magic had it just as much as Jordan did, but maybe it was the Bird-Magic clash that gave it that personality. They were different eras though so it is tough to compare. Because of Magic and Bird, Jordan had a much larger platform to perform on.

Byrd was blaze. Remarkable talent but no personality. Magic, I agree was a showman but nowhere near the talent of Jordan. And MJ the charisma.

I lived in Chicago in periods in which Jordan was playing, so I have bias.

6 NBA Championships
32,202 career points
14 all star games
5 MVPs
30.1 career scoring avg.

MJ built the platform the NBA is currently playing on.

The WNBA is prepared to extend the same to Caitlin and whomever else can bring skill and entertainment levels to the league.

Really? I mean REALLY? So just for shits and giggles, when MG was the NPOTY or Doyle almost, or when CVStringer was at Iowa did we sell out all the games? Most the games? Did we sell out opposing venues? Play to attendence records almost EVERY night. When we played in the final 4 did we set TV viewership records?
As for the player she will be. Do you really think they would draft her #1 and then put a leash on her? Tell her she can't shoot logo three's? Not be herself? Thats just stupid. Do you actually not think that opponents haven't been trying to "knock her down a peg"? Really? Do you watch the games when she gets mauled every night. So we played SC in the final 4 last year. The #1 undefeated BEST team in the country, with the best defense seen in years and the wizard Dawn Staley as HC and she dropped 41 points on their asses. Do you think they didn't come into that game thinking they were going to "knock her down a peg"?

Look, none of us knows for sure what will happen, but here's what we do know for a fact. The bigger the game, the bigger the challenge, she raises her game. She shows up when the lights are the brightest. Thats what stars do. People with one name. Michael, Magic, Larry, Tiger, Gretzky.... And if veteran players will "have none of that" like drafting a generational talent, and then not letting her play? Did the warriors tell Curry he couldn't shoot some of that crazy shit he does? I think not.....
She will put up some long threes, but shot selection will be more selective. The assists and the stylistic flair to the assists will be more frequent. She will score less and need to plY better defense. But efficiency should go up. I watched some clips of the fever from last year, she's gonna be able to play her game in the pros.... biggest issue is that clark is elite in transition, and the fever seemed to play slow half court. Boston is a great post, p ick and roll should be there if the coaches let them play it. But it will mostly be Smith, berger or Mitchell that run v the floor.

The biggest question is if the fever coaches are system coaches or if they modify the offense to the strengths of the players

The biggest question is if the fever coaches are system coaches or if they modify the offense to the strengths of the players
If they don’t play to the strength of CC they won’t last long. They are getting the 1st pick for the 2nd year in a row. They better use her wisely.

If you think veteran professional players are going to allow someone to come in and dictate who what and where you don't truly understand the way it works. Someone will lose a job because of her and for sure others will lose endorsements because of her. Don't think it's going to be all roses for her when she goes to the league. Envy and jealousy will abound.

And I stand by it's the WNBA. A league that would not survive if not for subsidization by the NBA. She will move the needle but it won't be any way near what her impact at Iowa was.
I think I understand exactly how this is going to work. The team is terrible. They’re going to hand her the keys to the car from day 1. They have no other choice. Let’s see, the starting pt guard on the last place team is going to be mad that CC comes in and starts ahead of her. So what? Guess what? Magic started from day 1. Bird was the star from day 1. Jordan from day 1. The league and the team need her.

Iowa needs to convince Caitlin Clark to stay for another year! It would be smart for her and the University. Clark gets way more press coverage as a NCAA WBB player in the BIGTEN than she will in the WNBA. She will make more money with endorsements and NIL as a college player. WNBA on a national level gets truly little coverage.

2023 average attendance the average attendance for WNBA games was about 6,700 fans. Their season is thirty-six games with a 12-team league. Iowa was 31-7 last year with eighteen home games. Their home attendance was 11,500 fans per game (total 200K). This year is a complete sell-out of 15,400 per game (total 277K). I know people hope she will change things if she joins the WNBA in 2024. Remember WNBA is a summer sport from May to September. Most teams are in large metro areas. They are up against MLB and many other summertime events.

These ladies are great athletes in WNBA. But to really get paid, they need to go overseas to play. The WNBA salary cap is $1,420,500 with a roster size of twelve players (144 total in the league). The highest paid player salary is $242,000.

Caitlin is bringing more eyes to women's college basketball. Smart for both parties to keep it rolling. Caitlin will be lost quickly in the WNBA. Who remembers last year’s #1 pick? Alllyah Boston - How about 2022? Rhyne Howard – But we all know Griner. But do we remember she was the #1 pick in 2013? Nope - Or do we know her from being busted with dope in Russia? yep
But it is Caitlin's choice.
Here is hoping she will stay!

Reactions: mpfeiler
Lol.. You do realize that Clark is a senior THIS year right? Next year would be her covid year should she decide to take it. Also Lol... for people thinking she would make less next year in the league. just pure stupidty. Clark is taking ZERO NIL $$. All of her income is from endorsement deals as major companies keep lining up to join her portfolio. She will NOT lose endorsements as a Pro. The major companies will stick with her, AND there will be more. THEN add her WNBA salary a few 100K or whatever, which she is not getting now. And yet people keep posting this insanity.
You don't understand NIL. Name Image and Likeness (NIL). NIL is really the endorsement and advertising deals the players can get. That was what it was suppose to be all long. Nike, State Farm, HyVee and Gatorade are all NIL deals. Players using their NIL to make money for themselves. Not the BS funds put together by BOOSTERS to just pay players.

You don't understand NIL. Name Image and Likeness (NIL). NIL is really the endorsement and advertising deals the players can get. That was what it was suppose to be all long. Nike, State Farm, HyVee and Gatorade are all NIL deals. Players using their NIL to make money for themselves. Not the BS funds put together by BOOSTERS to just pay players.
It's actually both, but the rumors are that caitlin declined the swarm money and pretty much all her deals are independent. The part that is debatable, is that these deals are tied to the reach the athlete has for marketing purposes. It could be the case that clark could be more marketable in cbb than in the wnba because the college game right now seems more popular. Carver is sold out, the fever average 4k. Clark/iowa I'd box office when on TV. How many people watch the fever? Are you spending the 100 bucks for nbatv on top of the 100 bucks for btn plus? If people follow clark, and or she helps them fever sell out tickets and drive tv ratings she will keep/grow her endorsements... it's a gamble, but it would be next year too. The fever could be a good fit for many reasons.

Clark probably has lofty goals. The Olympics are 10 months from now. Can Caitlin somehow make the US team? Would going pro this Spring make an Olympic spot more likely?

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
As for the player she will be. Do you really think they would draft her #1 and then put a leash on her? Tell her she can't shoot logo three's? Not be herself? Thats just stupid. Do you actually not think that opponents haven't been trying to "knock her down a peg"? Really? Do you watch the games when she gets mauled every night. So we played SC in the final 4 last year. The #1 undefeated BEST team in the country, with the best defense seen in years and the wizard Dawn Staley as HC and she dropped 41 points on their asses. Do you think they didn't come into that game

thinking they were going to "knock her down a peg"?

Look, none of us knows for sure what will happen, but here's what we do know for a fact. The bigger the game, the bigger the challenge, she raises her game. She shows up when the lights are the brightest. Thats what stars do. People with one name. Michael, Magic, Larry, Tiger, Gretzky....

????? What exactly don't I understand? I think your confused. All I said is her endorsements aren't going away when she leaves Iowa. Are you telling me I'm wrong? For the record Clark doesn't need Iowa to have her own NIL deals. She is selling her own brand at this point.....

????? What exactly don't I understand? I think your confused. All I said is her endorsements aren't going away when she leaves Iowa. Are you telling me I'm wrong? For the record Clark doesn't need Iowa to have her own NIL deals. She is selling her own brand at this point.....

Caitlin played in the most watched NCAAW game in history, drawing nearly 10 million viewers. The Iowa/South Carolina game had over 5 million viewers. The most watched WNBA game ever drew just over 1 million.

Viewership definitely impacts the value of endorsements, and generally speaking, NCAAW games draw more viewership and interest. There is simply more interest in NCAAW than there is in the WNBA. There's been big stars in NCAAW before. I watched Candace Parker win a McDonald's All American dunk contest and saw her play numerous times at Tennessee. I don't know who she played for in the WNBA. I saw Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird many times while they were at UCONN. Don't know where either of them played in the WNBA. I saw Brittany Griner dominate at Baylor. Also don't know where she played in the WNBA. Megan Gustafson was a huge star at Iowa, but barely played in the WNBA because there's only 12 WNBA teams.

I don't think it's crazy at all to think that Caitlin's endorsements may be more valuable while she's in college than while she's in the WNBA. With that said, the vast majority of Caitlin's remaining career is going to be in the WNBA. So it would make sense that if she thinks going to the WNBA after this year provides the maximum utility for her WNBA future, she ought to go to the WNBA to maximize the remaining 10-15 years of her career rather than chase additional viewership for only 1 more year in college.

• Love
Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Caitlin played in the most watched NCAAW game in history, drawing nearly 10 million viewers. The Iowa/South Carolina game had over 5 million viewers. The most watched WNBA game ever drew just over 1 million.

Viewership definitely impacts the value of endorsements, and generally speaking, NCAAW games draw more viewership and interest. There is simply more interest in NCAAW than there is in the WNBA. There's been big stars in NCAAW before. I watched Candace Parker win a McDonald's All American dunk contest and saw her play numerous times at Tennessee. I don't know who she played for in the WNBA. I saw Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird many times while they were at UCONN. Don't know where either of them played in the WNBA. I saw Brittany Griner dominate at Baylor. Also don't know where she played in the WNBA. Megan Gustafson was a huge star at Iowa, but barely played in the WNBA because there's only 12 WNBA teams.

I don't think it's crazy at all to think that Caitlin's endorsements may be more valuable while she's in college than while she's in the WNBA. With that said, the vast majority of Caitlin's remaining career is going to be in the WNBA. So it would make sense that if she thinks going to the WNBA after this year provides the maximum utility for her WNBA future, she ought to go to the WNBA to maximize the remaining 10-15 years of her career rather than chase additional viewership for only 1 more year in college.
Absolutely. BUT! Here's the thing you're glossing over. Those viewership numbers were NOT because two college teams, Iowa vs SC, or Iowa vs LSU, were playing in those games. They were all time records BECAUSE Clark was playing in those games. She is her own brand, however much her endorsements level off, it AINT happening in the first year, and thats all we're really talking about. After next year she'd be in the WNBA regardless.

Most of your other comments just show that your not a fan of the W. Thats fine, but Clark will bring more fans, (lots of them little girls not yet teenagers) to the league. Of all the stars you mentioned how many had arenas filled with people carrying signs wanting to be HER? What she is doing has never been done by ANY woman in sports. Do you think that none of those fans are going to want to see what she does next?

By the way using Megan G's struggled sticking in the league just shows your off base on this. She has exactly the same issue that Luka Garza had. Great college player, who's skill set did not translate to the pro's. Without question Clark will have NO issue whatsoever transitioning to the league.

Absolutely. BUT! Here's the thing you're glossing over. Those viewership numbers were NOT because two college teams, Iowa vs SC, or Iowa vs LSU, were playing in those games. They were all time records BECAUSE Clark was playing in those games. She is her own brand, however much her endorsements level off, it AINT happening in the first year, and thats all we're really talking about. After next year she'd be in the WNBA regardless.

Most of your other comments just show that your not a fan of the W. Thats fine, but Clark will bring more fans, (lots of them little girls not yet teenagers) to the league. Of all the stars you mentioned how many had arenas filled with people carrying signs wanting to be HER? What she is doing has never been done by ANY woman in sports. Do you think that none of those fans are going to want to see what she does next?

By the way using Megan G's struggled sticking in the league just shows your off base on this. She has exactly the same issue that Luka Garza had. Great college player, who's skill set did not translate to the pro's. Without question Clark will have NO issue whatsoever transitioning to the league.
Will she be featured like she is now or will all the wnba press be talking about the established stars? Will she have the same freedom of play that matches her brand? There is some risk of how she fits in a new/different system.. like you I do think that she seems to understand how to promote and build a brand better than most of the wnba teams and players. A huge part of the citlin clark craze is her reaching out to, interacting with, and promoting youth...

Reactions: VodkaSam
Iowa needs to convince Caitlin Clark to stay for another year! It would be smart for her and the University. Clark gets way more press coverage as a NCAA WBB player in the BIGTEN than she will in the WNBA. She will make more money with endorsements and NIL as a college player. WNBA on a national level gets truly little coverage.
Do top WNba players make a lot in endoresment money? I dont know, I know around central Iowa on on cable sports I do not see hardly any wnba players doing commercials.

Sue bird had that comercial with capital one... Some of them have thier own nikes. But the critics would tell you that the visibility is not there in the wnba. Endorsments are a result of visibility. How much of Clark's rise is her, and how much is that the media started elevating their games? More games on espn/tnt and maybe wnba takes off too.

I predict she goes to the WNBA because Connor just happens to be coaching in Indy. Just when i thought I was finally free of complaining about CMac, he comes back and delivers one last **** you knockout punch
I've been in Indy since 2011 - great place to live and heart of B1G sports. She will be wearing a Fever jersey next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT